Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Not sure this is the place to discuss this but it will have a bearing on my mindset if you think I should start separate thread let me know and I will. I start chemotherapy on 17th May as they have decided I definitely do have Mesothelioma which is an asbestos related cancer. They have told me at this stage they can not cure the cancer but they are hoping with the chemo to prolong my life. Maybe sometime in the future if they can keep me alive there may be a cure. I'm in a good place at the minute but who knows how I'm going to feel but linking back to the social media I've found people have been very supportive and it was a good way of me telling people zi work with. I have since I have been on this thread cut back on Social media a bit as at one point it did have an unhealthy hold on me. The people in this thread regularly are wonderful humans and Evertonians to boot so coming in here is always therapeutic to me. I would like to say though I'm always here to talk to if any of you are having a hard time as I get enjoyment out of helping others or trying at least. Anyways enough of my ramblings just wanted you all to know and Mods if it needs moved I understand.
Good luck with the treatment. x

Meds post. Help requested.

Because I am a moron, and I'm having a lot of trouble with intrusive thoughts, I forgot to put a repeat prescription in for my meds, which means I have to go without until Thursday, because I have two tablets left - one for tomorrow, one for Monday - and I put my request in online today, and the surgery says now you have to wait 4 days for your meds. Is there any way I can get an emergency supply for 2 days? Venlafaxine is horrible and if I go without for even a day, I feel like crap.

I don't think it's the cause, BUT it exacerbates it. I don't buy into all the Instagram crap - i mainly only go on there to look at pics of our players and people's pets - but I know a lot of younger women do. I had a similar complex about not having a sex life when I had friends who'd bang on about theirs, or their polyamorous relationships. In my case, it's Twitter. Twitter is poisonous. I post the odd holiday photo on Instagram, but that's it. I also refuse to friend any of my colleagues on Facebook. I have nothing in common with them.
You shouldnt go without medication. Do you have a regular pharmacy for your repeats? They will give you an emergency supply.... Ive done it myself. If not ask anyway. Everyone forgets occasionally so don't call yourself a moron ! Dont miss your medication though.

You shouldnt go without medication. Do you have a regular pharmacy for your repeats? They will give you an emergency supply.... Ive done it myself. If not ask anyway. Everyone forgets occasionally so don't call yourself a moron ! Dont miss your medication though.
Yeah, it's closed today though. I bought some painkillers from another pharmacy and the bloke there said he reckoned my regular pharmacy should sort me out. I just feel really embarrassed because of intrusive thoughts pushing things that matter out of my head.

Hello all. Thought I would share this with you. Was having a few beers with my 25 year old son yesterday. We got onto the subject of social media. He doesn't really do it at all. Only uses Messenger and goes on Reddit (if that counts as social media) He thinks that social media is the root cause of the mental health crisis we are currently seeing - and that is being masked by Brexit. He said it is people showing you the very best bits of their lives and none of the sh*te inbetween. Other people then feel unhappy because they can't match up to what they have seen and that their lives are dull and boring. He said it's like the gambler who will tell you about the big win but never about the losses.

He has just come back from an amazing holiday in Indonesia with two of his mates. He said his mates would spend at least an hour every night deciding what to post on Instagram and it really annoyed him. "My photos are for me Mum. I don't need to share them" I thought it was an interesting conversation and I know that it is what some of you on here have been saying for quite some time.

I thought about it and I believe he is probably right. I have a friend who in real life I love dearly, she's a good laugh and great company. Her social media self is awful. "look at me, here I am, here's my 180 pairs of shoes. What dress shall I wear tonight. Here's my entire calendar for the next year and all the places I'm going to" Nothing like the real person I know.
Your 25 year old son is wise beyond his years.. I've been one of those on here who have been speaking about the links between social media and mental health.. I suffered with my mental health before deleting my social media accounts.. I got rid of them almost 2 years ago and haven't suffered anxiety since. I'd advise anybody to give themselves a break from it, I would guess that for most people it would only take a few days to realize you're better off without it..

Yeah, it's closed today though. I bought some painkillers from another pharmacy and the bloke there said he reckoned my regular pharmacy should sort me out. I just feel really embarrassed because of intrusive thoughts pushing things that matter out of my head.
Well as you said, yours run out after tomorrow so you can get the temporary ones then. Don't be embarrassed. I worry about things I shouldnt obsess about..then disregard or forget things I should prioritise. Weve got lots going on in our heads...just the way some of us are made I guess.

Not sure this is the place to discuss this but it will have a bearing on my mindset if you think I should start separate thread let me know and I will. I start chemotherapy on 17th May as they have decided I definitely do have Mesothelioma which is an asbestos related cancer. They have told me at this stage they can not cure the cancer but they are hoping with the chemo to prolong my life. Maybe sometime in the future if they can keep me alive there may be a cure. I'm in a good place at the minute but who knows how I'm going to feel but linking back to the social media I've found people have been very supportive and it was a good way of me telling people zi work with. I have since I have been on this thread cut back on Social media a bit as at one point it did have an unhealthy hold on me. The people in this thread regularly are wonderful humans and Evertonians to boot so coming in here is always therapeutic to me. I would like to say though I'm always here to talk to if any of you are having a hard time as I get enjoyment out of helping others or trying at least. Anyways enough of my ramblings just wanted you all to know and Mods if it needs moved I understand.

Best of luck with the treatment, mate. If ever you need an ear or a shoulder the folks in this thread, like you say, are here for you. Equally, there are those who will take inspiration from you so please keep posting. Best wishes

Hi all,

I haven't posted here before but thought I would share that I also struggle.

Back on here after a while out due to having a major breakdown and having to rebuild my life from scracth.

Diagnosed recently with Adult ADHD, Anxiety and Depression which I'm now taking medication for and got myself completely clean & sober for the last few months including booze.

I will edit this post or post again to share my full story, but it's great to know the support is here on the site and more than happy to help others.

Keep fighting!

I sorted my meds. Speaking of which, I'm going to copypasta what I just wrote on Facebook.

So I've been thinking about my meds, and the possibility Venlafaxine might be causing my panic attacks. I'd like to come off it and go back on Sertraline. I know when I took it back in 2005 it turned me into a robot, but I'm not in a relationship now, I don't like what I've become, and I'm so scared of losing more friends and not being able to hold down a job that I genuinely want to come off Venlafaxine. Shades of grey are better than violent colours. It's not helped the old weight gain either. I just cannot shift the weight I gained in January. Obviously I am going to contact a GP about this but the thought of going cold turkey is not fun.

Anyone else had panic attacks with Venlafaxine/Effexor?

(Explanation: one of the reasons my then girlfriend and I split up in 2005 was because I had no libido due to my meds)

I sorted my meds. Speaking of which, I'm going to copypasta what I just wrote on Facebook.

So I've been thinking about my meds, and the possibility Venlafaxine might be causing my panic attacks. I'd like to come off it and go back on Sertraline. I know when I took it back in 2005 it turned me into a robot, but I'm not in a relationship now, I don't like what I've become, and I'm so scared of losing more friends and not being able to hold down a job that I genuinely want to come off Venlafaxine. Shades of grey are better than violent colours. It's not helped the old weight gain either. I just cannot shift the weight I gained in January. Obviously I am going to contact a GP about this but the thought of going cold turkey is not fun.

Anyone else had panic attacks with Venlafaxine/Effexor?

(Explanation: one of the reasons my then girlfriend and I split up in 2005 was because I had no libido due to my meds)

Hi mate, I was Venlafaxine for quite a long time and I had no problem coming off it, by tapering.

It seems to affect people in different ways, as I suffered no weight loss, but had no energy and it completely switched all of my emotions off - as you say, like a robot.

I know panic / anxiety attack’s can be a side effect, but I was taking meds for anxiety too, so never suffered any problems. ( but became dependent on the anxiety meds ! )

Your GP is the best bet.

On the facebook stuff;

I jibbed it off a few months after graduating uni.

I sunk into a depression and ended up on the dole for a few months. Going on facebook and seeing pals from uni get their graduate jobs and placements just made things ten times worse.

It certainly played a big role in my depression so I haven't been back on since.

Hi all,

I haven't posted here before but thought I would share that I also struggle.

Back on here after a while out due to having a major breakdown and having to rebuild my life from scracth.

Diagnosed recently with Adult ADHD, Anxiety and Depression which I'm now taking medication for and got myself completely clean & sober for the last few months including booze.

I will edit this post or post again to share my full story, but it's great to know the support is here on the site and more than happy to help others.

Keep fighting!

Hi mate

Hope all is well and improving.

How did you get diagnosed? Is it as simple a single seeing a GP?

Please delete if inappropriate... E.I.T.C will be hosting a 5K run/walk/jog on Sunday 4th August under the name of the If You Know Your History 5K. The event will start at the Prince Rupert Tower and follow a route along the various locations in the Everton history (including Anfield!) to finish either at Goodison or in Stanley Park depending on road closure arrangements. All money raised will go toward supporting the People’s Place initiative - a purpose built mental health facility to be built alongside the Hub on Spellow Lane. All confirmed details, including how to take part will be announced shortly. I think we should have the sirens to set everyone off!