Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

But I thought you said you were paying to run the car, petrol etc. already?
Yeah, i'm running the car. I just can't afford to buy a car AND run it! The car was already paid for. I was paying for the cost of running it which came to about £90 a month if i were careful on fuel. I worked out that the cost of weekly bus tickets would almost come to £80 a month.

I know how you feel about your appearance mate because I have the same feelings about myself. I hate my appearance, like yourself I have a very tired look around my eyes and get the same jokes said about me. I'm also getting very thin hair on top, it's hereditary as my dad + grandad also went bald very early. It doesn't suit me though because I have a youngish face. Just something I'll have to get used to. I've also believe myself to be ugly and unlike you I've never had any red hot girlfriends so I must be lol. Joking aside I've always had a low confidence about my appearance and hate having photos taken as I can't look at myself without thinking about how ugly I am and how others must see me.

self esteem is a massive factor to mental health issues. most people have doubts about their appearance if they were to be honest but many mask it with humour or other outlets. what matters most is changing the way you feel about yourself, even if your winging it, be positive and easy on yourselves. people don't want to be around sad, depressed people , i have major issues around aspects around my looks, but in the end you have to go out and meet people be it work or socially. i had a relationship with someone who tried to blame me of cheating, lying, being deceitful and in the end it wore me out, my happiness was far more important. just back from tenerife alone, got my act together, life is a learning curve, good people are out there.

Anyone else already counting the days down to 2020 in the hope that a new year, new decade can bring happier times and better memories. Or is that just blind faith?

Small update and maybe some advice if anyone is still following this ridiculous story of mine!?

Well, today i well and truly stood up for myself. The ex was meant to bring me my bike out of the shed yesterday but she didn't. She was then meant to bring it this afternoon but instead, i got a message saying your bike (£350 worth) is out side the front. Better come and get it before it gets robbed!

That was the moment i stood up for myself and thought enough is enough of this bitchy attitude making everything 50 times harder than it ever needed to be. So i said that since the split, my life has been turned to crap and i've had to rearrange things, do things and adjust everything so i can stay living around here for the sake of the baby.

Then i told her that as she wanted the split, she wanted to jump into bed with a fella within a week or two and her life has now changed that it's time she rearranged her life to suit that. Told her without a car (remember she took her 2nd car back the other day) i won't be taking the baby to school or having her on only the days that revolve around her job. Time to move stuff around for today's busy "Single" mum.

She of course flipped, called me everything, SH*t dad this, pathetic man, idiot, lowlife all sorts. She desperately was trying to get me to admit i refused to get the bus which isn't at all what i was saying. i kept saying that until i can buy a car, things need to change."So admit now that you're refusing to lower yourself to get the bus and take the baby to school" my reply was "I never used the words lower myself,and as a fully grown adult what i choose to do regarding how i get around town and my travel arrangements are totally my choice".

Aaaanyway, after lots of insults and "Fine, i'll get the solicitors involved, go to court and you won't be seeing the baby again" i kept my cool, called her bluff and said, OK, that's your choice. See you in court.

She is selling her other car, i made her a monthly offer that i can afford. She turned it down, just to be awkward. Worked out a tenner less a month as she is paying for it. Kept saying no. She said she will quit her job because I refuse to take the baby to school etc etc. Again, i kept firm and called her bluff.

Ok i said, that's your choice. All i said was you will have to arrange for the baby to get to school another way until i get a car.

Long story short....stuck to my guns knowing full well she wouldn't quit work and go to court. Eventually after many awful insults she accepted my offer on the car. I will probably buy it and give her a cheap monthly payment, can take the baby on days out and to school, she can keep her work shifts and i get a to pay a lot less in petrol, tax and insurance!

It sounds so petty and from her side, it was. I kept it mature and straight down the line. Gave her the options and that's it. She tried many times to make it hard. using the baby as a weapon. I kept telling myself don't bend over to this. i didn't, now things are going to happen on my terms not hers. it'll all be amicable and flexible from my side but also firm when i need to be. Time to get my own life on track now and do things for me a bit more.

She told me last week that she split up with her fella, said she's on her own now. She went on to tell me earlier during the insults that she is still seeing him and she lied about splitting up. She is making a fool out of herself. She couldn't handle not being in control today. She hated it. You know you are making an impact when the insults fly. also, lies like that i just find cringey.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, i'm now going to have to arse about with the car insurances and that due to the swapping of the cars etc. Does anyone know a way i can do that and avoid admin fees? Trying to keep costs down and i don't need a fee for no reason.

Also, i'm keeping her car insurance in my name as it's cheaper for her, would it be cheaper to put the other car on my multi car policy or get a separate one?

I know it's all sounding petty and daft but i couldn't take anymore insults and walking all over me all the while she was having it all on her terms. I had to put an end to it.

TL;DR: I'm a low down, pathetic sh*t dad but now (may) be able to buy a car so i can do the school run!

Why wait a couple of months to make the changes you have planned for 2020?

For me the big change in life will be getting a new job. This will lead to me finally getting my own place which will then hopefully lead to meeting new people and maybe even someone special.
I have committed to the days I will be working over Xmas and New Year so I have stopped my job search for now. I also have a fair bit of leave to use between now + xmas so have sorted a couple of solo trips for myself in the coming weeks. But it will resume in 2020.And it will lead to change.

Small update and maybe some advice if anyone is still following this ridiculous story of mine!?

Well, today i well and truly stood up for myself. The ex was meant to bring me my bike out of the shed yesterday but she didn't. She was then meant to bring it this afternoon but instead, i got a message saying your bike (£350 worth) is out side the front. Better come and get it before it gets robbed!

That was the moment i stood up for myself and thought enough is enough of this bitchy attitude making everything 50 times harder than it ever needed to be. So i said that since the split, my life has been turned to crap and i've had to rearrange things, do things and adjust everything so i can stay living around here for the sake of the baby.

Then i told her that as she wanted the split, she wanted to jump into bed with a fella within a week or two and her life has now changed that it's time she rearranged her life to suit that. Told her without a car (remember she took her 2nd car back the other day) i won't be taking the baby to school or having her on only the days that revolve around her job. Time to move stuff around for today's busy "Single" mum.

She of course flipped, called me everything, SH*t dad this, pathetic man, idiot, lowlife all sorts. She desperately was trying to get me to admit i refused to get the bus which isn't at all what i was saying. i kept saying that until i can buy a car, things need to change."So admit now that you're refusing to lower yourself to get the bus and take the baby to school" my reply was "I never used the words lower myself,and as a fully grown adult what i choose to do regarding how i get around town and my travel arrangements are totally my choice".

Aaaanyway, after lots of insults and "Fine, i'll get the solicitors involved, go to court and you won't be seeing the baby again" i kept my cool, called her bluff and said, OK, that's your choice. See you in court.

She is selling her other car, i made her a monthly offer that i can afford. She turned it down, just to be awkward. Worked out a tenner less a month as she is paying for it. Kept saying no. She said she will quit her job because I refuse to take the baby to school etc etc. Again, i kept firm and called her bluff.

Ok i said, that's your choice. All i said was you will have to arrange for the baby to get to school another way until i get a car.

Long story short....stuck to my guns knowing full well she wouldn't quit work and go to court. Eventually after many awful insults she accepted my offer on the car. I will probably buy it and give her a cheap monthly payment, can take the baby on days out and to school, she can keep her work shifts and i get a to pay a lot less in petrol, tax and insurance!

It sounds so petty and from her side, it was. I kept it mature and straight down the line. Gave her the options and that's it. She tried many times to make it hard. using the baby as a weapon. I kept telling myself don't bend over to this. i didn't, now things are going to happen on my terms not hers. it'll all be amicable and flexible from my side but also firm when i need to be. Time to get my own life on track now and do things for me a bit more.

She told me last week that she split up with her fella, said she's on her own now. She went on to tell me earlier during the insults that she is still seeing him and she lied about splitting up. She is making a fool out of herself. She couldn't handle not being in control today. She hated it. You know you are making an impact when the insults fly. also, lies like that i just find cringey.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, i'm now going to have to arse about with the car insurances and that due to the swapping of the cars etc. Does anyone know a way i can do that and avoid admin fees? Trying to keep costs down and i don't need a fee for no reason.

Also, i'm keeping her car insurance in my name as it's cheaper for her, would it be cheaper to put the other car on my multi car policy or get a separate one?

I know it's all sounding petty and daft but i couldn't take anymore insults and walking all over me all the while she was having it all on her terms. I had to put an end to it.

TL;DR: I'm a low down, pathetic sh*t dad but now (may) be able to buy a car so i can do the school run!
Well done mate.

Good for you mate, I bet you felt properly vindicated after all that.

Re the car insurance, Even if it costs a few quid more, I`d put at least one of the cars solely in your name for insurance purposes, as it`s one less part of your life that she can try to control.

For me the big change in life will be getting a new job. This will lead to me finally getting my own place which will then hopefully lead to meeting new people and maybe even someone special.
I have committed to the days I will be working over Xmas and New Year so I have stopped my job search for now. I also have a fair bit of leave to use between now + xmas so have sorted a couple of solo trips for myself in the coming weeks. But it will resume in 2020.And it will lead to change.
Where are your solo trips mate? I don't have the confidence to go by myself. I don't even use my holidays. I'm only really happy at work. I struggle to get out of bed without work.
I've even given up with my 14 year old daughter now as she is not interested

Where are your solo trips mate? I don't have the confidence to go by myself. I don't even use my holidays. I'm only really happy at work. I struggle to get out of bed without work.

Mad that mate, and a little bit tragic. I can only speak for myself when I say I love solo travel. It’s the one thing I can control — where I go, how long for and how much it’s costs, as for your daughter why don’t you combine the two and see what happens? All kids love a day trip mate, no matter how cool they think they are.
Alton Towers
London for the day
Edinburgh for the day

All can be done with a reasonable budget and leave the daughter my tip for dealing with kids is don’t give them a choice “ we are going to London for the day on X day of the month”. Usually works — giving them a choice puts you in the back foot.

good luck mate. (And use them bloody holidays!!)

Sorry about your daughter mate. That would break my heart. I've no experience of dealing with teenagers but my advice is to keep trying. Even if you just send a weekly text to let her know you're thinking of her.

Just UK based mate. Leicester for our away game but making a long weekend out of it and a few days in Birmingham for the xmas markets. Nowhere near ready to do any abroad trips yet, but you've got to start somewhere. I'm comfortable in my own company and enjoy going places and walks by myself but the acid test will be eating out and maybe going to a bar by myself. I'm not the most confident so I will be daunted but I need to start coming out of my comfort zone if I'm ever going to make something out of my life and end my demons.

Just UK based mate. Leicester for our away game but making a long weekend out of it and a few days in Birmingham for the xmas markets. Nowhere near ready to do any abroad trips yet, but you've got to start somewhere. I'm comfortable in my own company and enjoy going places and walks by myself but the acid test will be eating out and maybe going to a bar by myself. I'm not the most confident so I will be daunted but I need to start coming out of my comfort zone if I'm ever going to make something out of my life and end my demons.

Look at this way mate.

If you’re out in company and there’s a fella at the bar on his tod, having a pint what you think :

“ Look at that weirdo “ or “ there’s a fella having a pint “

There was a whole thread on here a while ago that was devoted to the simple pleasures of the solo pint etc.

No one notices a fella by himself, except the fella who’s by himself.

Take a paper when a match is on and I’ll guarantee that by the end of the game you’ll be talking to someone.