Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Feeling not too bad but could do with getting some anxious feelings out!

My employer is making budget cuts so a couple of employees are being laid off. Fortunately I've been told I'm not one of them, however they are going to present me with a new contract because they're looking to change my role within the business. They want me to change my days and hours and I'm not keen on that really. Instead of five 8 hour days, it would change to three 12 hours and a 6 hour. The money would be greater but so would the burdens and BS I'd have deal with. Truthfully I wouldn't apply for it if I saw it advertised.

Now I've been already beem seriously contemplating moving on even before the latest developments, but when I got wind of this news I decided to properly start applying elsewhere. I went actually for an interview for somewhere else earlier (by sheer coincidence it's right next door to where I currently am). Similar role to what I'm doing now but for slightly more money (not as much as the new role would be though if I accepted that). The interview went okay I suppose, but truthfully I didn't really like the look of the place once I was inside. Won't go in details but I definitely did not get the "I could see myself fitting in well here" vibe if you understand. Now my head is properly battered!

A funny side-note, my fortune cookie the other night read "You're golden opportunity is coming shortly". Hopefully that's a sign from above that things are going to be okay.

Thanks for reading, any kind words would be most appreciated. And of course please don't hesitate in messaging me if there's anything you'd like to share, I'd come back to you as soon as I'm able. :)

My employer is making budget cuts so a couple of employees are being laid off. Fortunately I've been told I'm not one of them, however they are going to present me with a new contract because they're looking to change my role within the business. They want me to change my days and hours and I'm not keen on that really. Instead of five 8 hour days, it would change to three 12 hours and a 6 hour. The money would be greater but so would the burdens and BS I'd have deal with. Truthfully I wouldn't apply for it if I saw it advertised.

Now I've been already beem seriously contemplating moving on even before the latest developments, but when I got wind of this news I decided to properly start applying elsewhere. I went actually for an interview for somewhere else earlier (by sheer coincidence it's right next door to where I currently am). Similar role to what I'm doing now but for slightly more money (not as much as the new role would be though if I accepted that). The interview went okay I suppose, but truthfully I didn't really like the look of the place once I was inside. Won't go in details but I definitely did not get the "I could see myself fitting in well here" vibe if you understand. Now my head is properly battered!

A funny side-note, my fortune cookie the other night read "You're golden opportunity is coming shortly". Hopefully that's a sign from above that things are going to be okay.

Thanks for reading, any kind words would be most appreciated. And of course please don't hesitate in messaging me if there's anything you'd like to share, I'd come back to you as soon as I'm able. :)

Give the new contract a go mate.

You may find, that having more time off and more money outweighs the 12 hr shifts.

Just write your life off on those days - work, sleep, work.

In the meantime, keep looking for another job.

I agree with @COYBL25 give the new contract a try but in the meantime look for another job in case the new hours etc. don’t suit you. @anjelikaferrett may be able to offer some advice on whether you have to accept a new role/contract in the first place. Good luck.?

We don't like each other so pretend I'm someone else but just on the clipped part:

If you don't fancy the new contract, but they're still laying off, can you not try and get yourself a pay off and let someone else who was getting laid off stay at the job on the new contract? That way someone's job is saved and you're moving on with a pay-off which you're looking to do anyway with the interviews.

Update, got a call back from the place I interviewed to offer me the job but they want me to just turn and start tomorrow, despite me explaining my notice period.

Turned them down, it's an ego boost to be wanted but it has to feel like the right thing. This certainly didn't and my mind was firmly made up by the way they want to just drop my current employer in the poo like that. Will keep looking.

We don't like each other so pretend I'm someone else but just on the clipped part:

If you don't fancy the new contract, but they're still laying off, can you not try and get yourself a pay off and let someone else who was getting laid off stay at the job on the new contract? That way someone's job is saved and you're moving on with a pay-off which you're looking to do anyway with the interviews.
In an ideal world I'd be reasonably happy with this scenario but it just doesn't seem like it's in the cards. The two who are going have black marks against their names (don't know the details but minds seem to be firmly made up). I just have to look out for myself with this one.

@CahillsCornerFlag , how did today go? Hope you were able to formulate a plan to make things easier. Hope your Mum is feeling better.?
Appreciate the thought mate. The plan is to go back in on Thursday, which should be an easier way to break back in, my mum’s still not too well but the household in general has settled a bit since the incident the other night. Long road for my old man to achieve long term improvement but it’s a start!

Appreciate the thought mate. The plan is to go back in on Thursday, which should be an easier way to break back in, my mum’s still not too well but the household in general has settled a bit since the incident the other night. Long road for my old man to achieve long term improvement but it’s a start!
Glad to hear things are a little better mate , hope your mum and your old man continue to improve.
Look after yourself you are obviously having a tough time.

Last edited:
Update, got a call back from the place I interviewed to offer me the job but they want me to just turn and start tomorrow, despite me explaining my notice period.

Turned them down, it's an ego boost to be wanted but it has to feel like the right thing. This certainly didn't and my mind was firmly made up by the way they want to just drop my current employer in the poo like that. Will keep looking.
Sounds like the right move as you say doesn't say much for your potential new employers when they want you to ignore any contract you have with your current employer.
Seems to me that you may be best to accept the new working conditions.
Offering switch places with one of the fellas who are being laid off for a payoff seems a risky strategy to me.
Try the new hours and keep your eyes open for new jobs as you say it is good to know you have something to offer

Late to this. Five Eights are forty.
Three twelves and a six are forty two.
Isn't there a cap on working over 40 hours that has to be agreed to? Also, whats wrong with four lots of ten? you're still in four days.
The firm next door sound like proper chancers and it'll look really bad if you leave one employer in the lurch to sit possible 3 metres away from where you were... rubbing their noses in it some.

I’m meeting up with a mate from work tomorrow thankfully, I’ve felt too rough the last couple of days to leave the house. I suspect you’re right about returning to work and I’m hoping talking to him tomorrow helps me clear my head /form a plan for next week that helps me regain some normalcy.
So sorry to hear of the tough times you are experiencing. I hope you did come up with a plan.I think staying off work for a few days is a good idea. Does your employer offer anything like compassionate or emergency leave? It would be worth looking into ans save you going off sick or using your own holidays