Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

@EFCPaul you are entitled to refuse a new contract bur you are also entitled to ask for a trial period to see how you like the new contract. If you don't accept the new contract the employer has 3 options 1) impose it anyway. If you continue to work without accepting the contract you are said to be working under protest 2) dismiss you and re- engage you under the new contract alThey would need a strong case to proceed withna dismissal. 3) do nothing and let you continue on the old contract.

If it affects more than 20 employees there's different rules.

Been given my new proposal in writing.

They've changed the goalposts, they want me to be contracted to 48 hours per week, 9-9s on 4 days.

That'll be a no. If it were going to be 40-42 I was probably going to give it a go and see as people are suggesting. Contracted to 48 though? That's absolutely daft.

They've changed the goalposts, they want me to be contracted to 48 hours per week, 9-9s on 4 days.

That'll be a no. If it were going to be 40-42 I was probably going to give it a go and see as people are suggesting. Contracted to 48 though? That's absolutely daft.
Does the 9 to 9 shift include breaks?
Also if you are working 48 hours that is the maximum you can be made to work regardless of contracts of employment ect.
You can of course opt out of this if you are happy to work longer hours but they can't make you do it

Like others have already said mate I would give the new contract a go.
I'd be nervous about changing jobs at the moment with the cost of living and other things going on in the UK. I think businesses are in for a tough couple of years until heating and fuel bills come down.
I would snap there hand off for the extra pay and the 3 days off every week.

Like others have already said mate I would give the new contract a go.
I'd be nervous about changing jobs at the moment with the cost of living and other things going on in the UK. I think businesses are in for a tough couple of years until heating and fuel bills come down.
I would snap there hand off for the extra pay and the 3 days off every week.

Will offer a bit more detail.

It's 48 hours a week, contracted. Four 12 hour days. For 26k per annum It works out as barely above minimum wage even though the job is basically that of a manager. I've seen the exact same role advertised by competitors companies and they all advertise it at £30k per annum minimum.

Company keep insisting all this restructuring is due to the need to cut costs (that in itself is complete BS but I won't go in details as to why I know that). I get all businesses try to pay you as little as they can, but this was an offer ridiculously below industry standard. And it's not a role I'm particularly interested doing anyway, for anyone.

Got at least 1 interview booked for next week, have had contact from other places I applied for so I'm hopeful they'll extend invitations as well. I feel much better, the other day it all felt a bit raw as I'm sure you can imagine. But I'm certain this is a blessing, I'm more than ready to move on but just want to leave on good terms if I can.

Last edited:
I feel sad that there are so many genuinely desperate people, some comfortably off, some not, who struggle with mental illness when my only problem is that my ADHD behaviour means I have to live on my own.

ADHD is probably worse than depression or anxiety, in that whilst the latter often affect people acutely, ADHD is for life, and will permeate someone’s experience forever. Most the medications for it are amphetamines, which have obvious downsides.

ADHD is probably worse than depression or anxiety, in that whilst the latter often affect people acutely, ADHD is for life, and will permeate someone’s experience forever. Most the medications for it are amphetamines, which have obvious downsides.
I spent the other night in hospital after drinking about 800ml of vodka over about three hours. I started with tonic but once that ran out it was probably neat. It didn't help that I was chatting on WhatsApp to who I hope will be my new landlady. Doesn't seem to have put her off but the distress it caused my wife, once she got home and found me (paramedics and police - sent away by the paramedics once they'd assessed the situation) was awful.

I have vague memories of painfully throwing up, but then it was of waking, sitting in a chair with two drip feeds in my hand and feeling remarkably good (rehydration, probably). Apparently the paramedics were three young women who I'm glad I have no recollection of.

It's just another chapter in the book of disaster stories over a life where I have broken hearts and left a trail of distruction in my wake due to this horrible mental abberation.

I spent the other night in hospital after drinking about 800ml of vodka over about three hours. I started with tonic but once that ran out it was probably neat. It didn't help that I was chatting on WhatsApp to who I hope will be my new landlady. Doesn't seem to have put her off but the distress it caused my wife, once she got home and found me (paramedics and police - sent away by the paramedics once they'd assessed the situation) was awful.

I have vague memories of painfully throwing up, but then it was of waking, sitting in a chair with two drip feeds in my hand and feeling remarkably good (rehydration, probably). Apparently the paramedics were three young women who I'm glad I have no recollection of.

It's just another chapter in the book of disaster stories over a life where I have broken hearts and left a trail of distruction in my wake due to this horrible mental abberation.
Sounds like booze plays a bit of a part in it as well. I'm talking from experience here.

Will offer a bit more detail.

It's 48 hours a week, contracted. Four 12 hour days. For 26k per annum It works out as barely above minimum wage even though the job is basically that of a manager. I've seen the exact same role advertised by competitors companies and they all advertise it at £30k per annum minimum.

Company keep insisting all this restructuring is due to the need to cut costs (that in itself is complete BS but I won't go in details as to why I know that). I get all businesses try to pay you as little as they can, but this was an offer ridiculously below industry standard. And it's not a role I'm particularly interested doing anyway, for anyone.

Got at least 1 interview booked for next week, have had contact from other places I applied for so I'm hopeful they'll extend invitations as well. I feel much better, the other day it all felt a bit raw as I'm sure you can imagine. But I'm certain this is a blessing, I'm more than ready to move on but just want to leave on good terms if I can.
So glad that you are feeling much better. Good luck with the interview.

Struggling here lads. Started the year off with the flu (which is still lingering). A few days later my old man tries to kill himself for the second time. Today, my mother’s in A&E with unidentified stomach pain which is clearly stress related. The best part is I work in mental health and am expected to hit the ground running on Monday. Heads up my arse and I still feel physically crap.
Sounds like a tough time mate. Having worked in mental health focused work while struggling in the past myself i have empathy for your situation.

I always found it difficult to balance the 'practice what you preach' mantra while trying to keep some form of normality and routine during difficult times. Especially as you are working different roles and that can be a balancing act in itself.

The one thing i would say is be open with those in work and ask for help/support even if that just means some flexibility and understanding. Put your managers in a position to be able to support you. If they are in the mental health sector they should be well positioned to support you.

Last edited: