Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi mate, have you made your supervisor aware of your struggles, and if so what additional support did they offer? If nothing it may be helpful to speak with your institute's student support services as it might be that your situation falls within the bounds of 'extenuating circumstances'. Even if you have discussed your situation with your supervisor or another member of staff, this does not constitute a formal submission of an extenuating circumstances claim. You would need to act quickly as it is your responsibility to get such information in prior to the relevant boards and panels meeting. You would need to provide as much evidence as is possible to support such a claim for the institute to gauge the effect the extenuating circumstances have had upon your academic performance, and they will consider previous performance as a base level comparator, but it might be something to consider. Speak to them, if they can help, they will.
I've already done so and got the maximum allowable extension. To be honest, its not a matter of time, anyway. I'm meant to get 10,000 words out of data analysis when all I've been given in terms of teaching is a word document with a link to an 8 minute youtube video. I just needed more input/guidance. With it, I can probably do it.

The supervisor has been pretty useless. Most email exchanges take a week to get a reply. Even something as simple as returning a document they were supposed to sign, they haven't, and I've been asking for it since early August. I've had to just put their email saying "that looks okay" as an appendix in place of their signature and hope that suffices.

I have sent an email to the student union advice services describing my struggles. I dunno what they'll say about it.

I've already done so and got the maximum allowable extension. To be honest, its not a matter of time, anyway. I'm meant to get 10,000 words out of data analysis when all I've been given in terms of teaching is a word document with a link to an 8 minute youtube video. I just needed more input/guidance. With it, I can probably do it.

The supervisor has been pretty useless. Most email exchanges take a week to get a reply. Even something as simple as returning a document they were supposed to sign, they haven't, and I've been asking for it since early August. I've had to just put their email saying "that looks okay" as an appendix in place of their signature and hope that suffices.

I have sent an email to the student union advice services describing my struggles. I dunno what they'll say about it.
My advice would be to build an evidence-based case and present it to your support services. Does your institute have a Wellbeing dept or the like? If so they would be the people to approach as well as the SU and speaking to Supervisor or PL in the first instance and HoD if needs be.

There are other types of mitigation beyond extensions. If you have grounds for concern the institute can offer you a deferral either with or without tuition i.e. the opportunity to sit/submit the assessment as if for the first time and without penalty, even if you have already made an assessment attempt.

In extreme cases, the panel can exclude an affected module/element from the progression or award requirements.

Students who have not managed themselves (work-life balance, had a cold, etc) would not be considered but if you have a recognised situation this does put you on a different footing. My advice would be that if you don't ask, you don't get! You have nothing to lose - build and present your case.

Thanks mate. Thing is, all my grades on this masters were pretty good, in the range of 70+ throughout the year so I'm definitely academically able at this level, but its just this project is so big. I can't write for crap. I can't make the words up and its so distressing. I go to one place in the document, think of a sentence and that's it. Repeat hundreds of times throughout the past month and all I've got to is less than half way there.
I'm about to submit whatever I've got tonight. It will be a guaranteed fail, probably around the 20-30% mark (pass mark is 50%). I'm cheesing it a lot by throwing in one of my interview transcripts where it shouldn't be to make up the words. I figure its better to do that than submit something under the minimum.

There's an alternative route where I can get a postgraduate diploma instead of a masters by foregoing the dissertation, but I know I'd forever feel like I let myself down at the final hurdle so I can't bring myself to do that in any event despite how terrible it makes me feel.

I know its supposed to be individual work but the simple matter is I admit I needed help like the autism mentor that I had at undergrad. They would help me make sense of so much of what I had to do and not having that has been so difficult. Supervisors and module leaders are so hands-off, they're essentially useless.
Zezti

Do you think that your conclusions are more or less correct? Is the research behind the paper OK & the workmethod sound?
Being someone who used to read these kind of papers, perhaps I can offer a little advice (although it's hard without knowing what it's about).

Your reviewers probably won't read the entire thing. They'll be looking to scrutinize your research. Why & how did you do your reseach & how valid are your conclusions.

Be sure to start the paper with a solid introduction. Be sure to briefly answer the following questions:
Why this research? Relevancy, what's the state of the current research in this field?
Workmethod? Explain step by step what you did & why. Dont go in to too much detail (that's what's the paper is for)
Difficulties; explain what difficulties arise if you work that way, what are potential weaknesses?; Dont go into too much detail...
Conclusion of the paper: keep it short.

Then, make sure you write a nice & clear conclusion at the end of the paper.
Summurize the your research. What questions does it answer? What does it NOT answer. Defend your workmethod by summarizing it's strengths. For extra words: rediscuss your workmethod & why it's a good way to work like that.

If you structure it like this you should be allright. Don't be too fixated on the wordcount, nobody really counts it. What reviewers hate is papers with word counts of 100.000 that say nothing & rehash everything endlessly...

Retry in january if it doesn't work out. Be like Everton, try again ;)

Zezti

Do you think that your conclusions are more or less correct? Is the research behind the paper OK & the workmethod sound?
Being someone who used to read these kind of papers, perhaps I can offer a little advice (although it's hard without knowing what it's about).

Your reviewers probably won't read the entire thing. They'll be looking to scrutinize your research. Why & how did you do your reseach & how valid are your conclusions.

Be sure to start the paper with a solid introduction. Be sure to briefly answer the following questions:
Why this research? Relevancy, what's the state of the current research in this field?
Workmethod? Explain step by step what you did & why. Dont go in to too much detail (that's what's the paper is for)
Difficulties; explain what difficulties arise if you work that way, what are potential weaknesses?; Dont go into too much detail...
Conclusion of the paper: keep it short.

Then, make sure you write a nice & clear conclusion at the end of the paper.
Summurize the your research. What questions does it answer? What does it NOT answer. Defend your workmethod by summarizing it's strengths. For extra words: rediscuss your workmethod & why it's a good way to work like that.

If you structure it like this you should be allright. Don't be too fixated on the wordcount, nobody really counts it. What reviewers hate is papers with word counts of 100.000 that say nothing & rehash everything endlessly...

Retry in january if it doesn't work out. Be like Everton, try again ;)
You should not be giving advice about matters that you do not fully understand. Anyone studying at level 6 or 7 in the UK who listened to this might find serious issues ahead.

Not wanting to derail the thread but more concerned that someone might take this on board.

You should not be giving advice about matters that you do not fully understand. Anyone studying at level 6 or 7 in the UK who listened to this might find serious issues ahead.

Not wanting to derail the thread but more concerned that someone might take this on board.
What do I not fully understand? Writing a dissertation? What's wrong with it?

Back home in Cornwall now, arrived yesterday afternoon. House feels very empty. Had a surprisingly good night's sleep.

Managed to sort out Funeral Directors in Liverpool before I left Southampton yesterday and they seemed very efficient and knew what they were doing. I've also just had a call from the coroners who seemed equally efficient and promised to keep me up to date. So I'm happy that my wife is in good hands.

My neighbour had a bag of shopping for me when I got home yesterday and she's been around this morning to show me how to use my washing machine. Yeah I know?.

So I'm getting there. I'm happy things seem to be moving and everyone is being so nice and helpful. It's little things like making a pot of coffee for one that's getting to me. But I'm also conscious that will get better with time.

Back home in Cornwall now, arrived yesterday afternoon. House feels very empty. Had a surprisingly good night's sleep.

Managed to sort out Funeral Directors in Liverpool before I left Southampton yesterday and they seemed very efficient and knew what they were doing. I've also just had a call from the coroners who seemed equally efficient and promised to keep me up to date. So I'm happy that my wife is in good hands.

My neighbour had a bag of shopping for me when I got home yesterday and she's been around this morning to show me how to use my washing machine. Yeah I know?.

So I'm getting there. I'm happy things seem to be moving and everyone is being so nice and helpful. It's little things like making a pot of coffee for one that's getting to me. But I'm also conscious that will get better with time.
Aw mate, how good is that of your neighbour, there was a time I had to be shown how to use a washing machine?
So good to hear all of the arrangements are coming together and your happy with the efficiency.of that side.of things.
All the better if it's helping you keeping us informed but I'll thank you on behalf of us all on the thread as we feel for you and it certainly cheers us to know that your moving in the right direction as much as you can at the moment.
It's going to be tough you know that but you appear to be made of strong stuff and you have good people supporting you.
Sending you a cyber man hug.

It’s heartening to hear that things are progressing well with the arrangements and that you are getting there. A lovely gesture by your neighbour, she sounds very kind. In spite of my efforts to educate him and being employed by a well-known washing machine manufacturer for many years Mr G. still has no idea how to actually operate one. lol Sending best wishes ?

It’s heartening to hear that things are progressing well with the arrangements and that you are getting there. A lovely gesture by your neighbour, she sounds very kind. In spite of my efforts to educate him and being employed by a well-known washing machine manufacturer for many years Mr G. still has no idea how to actually operate one. lol Sending best wishes ?
I also haven’t got a clue how to use a washing machine!!
By the way there is a cracking story today on EvertonFC’s web page that might interest a lot people who read these posts about how hard depression can be, it’s about how an Everton fan, who followed Everton but had never seen us reacted when he fell into a very deep depression, his wife told him to go and see the team he followed in Liverpool. If anyone is interested I’d advise them to read this story, I found it very uplifting.

Wasn't sure where else to go with this. I'm on a short cruise and my wife has literally just passed away a couple of hours ago in bed alongside me. She's felt poorly last 36 hours but this come straight out of the blue. I feel totally numb.

Watching people perform CPR on a loved one when you know it's too late is despairing. The worst thing I've ever witnessed. She was only 60. The hardest part is going to be telling people and I don't think I'm up to it.

Just been moved to a new cabin but I'm just sitting here crying and bewildered. I'm hoping sharing it with you guys will help in some way
Dear Fred, I'm just now catching up with some posts and just read yours about losing your wife. I'm very sorry for your lost. I can't even imagine how scary facing a future without your partner must be so I hope you are taking care of yourself. Now that you are back home you may experience so many different feelings while you mourn your wife so allow yourself to go through this grieving process while also going through the process of putting your own life together again. You seem to have good support around you, whether is here or at home, know that people care about you. If you ever need to chat don't hesitate to reach out my friend. Sending a big hug your way. xo

How ya doing mate hope you're ok ,must be so hard to filter everything the process of organising everything funeral and so forth can't be easy .keep posting on here after the funeral it helped me .