Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'm struggling since Toffee passed on. There is a big sense of emptiness in the house. I'm on my own here, and working here.

I've kept to the work routine without much of a problem and that has been a welcome distraction but its the other routines, feeding, the daily walks and just being able to love and care for an animal companion and all the joy that brings.

My siblings have been a great support remotely, they are big dog lovers themselves and they understand.

It's tough though. I'm looking forward to being able to return to the office for a few days a week when the time comes. I have no outlet apart from a daily run or bike ride.

Give it a few months and get another mate - will do wonders for you.

Biggest mistake my arl fella ever did was not get another when our family dog passed on - flat out refuses to ever "replace him" in his words but I've tried telling him its not replacing but having a new journey with a new mate.

May be the time to ask a vet if you should wish him goodbye ,the thing is we all hold on for as long as we HOPE is fair but at least with pets you can put them out their pain ,us we are made to suffer sometimes far too long.
Going by the tone of your replies it seems to me it is time to sit down together and make a decision.
I put a cross in the garden to remember our girls .
We've just taken him to the vets and said goodbye to him. It's so so hard.

So sorry to hear that, mate... but he was a great pet to you and you repaid him by not letting him suffer on in pain. I still clearly remember how I felt after being in the same situation with our last cat, even though it's now 15 years ago. Thinking of you. x

I am so sorry to hear that he has been put to sleep but I know it was for his good and thank you on his behalf for having the graciousness to show him dignity when he needed it most .I am proud of you and your family for being so brave at such a sad time .His memories will live with you forever and yours with me .

Really sad to hear the news about Claude Callegari from AFTV. He was open about his mental-health struggles for years but it seems the lockdown was just too much for him to cope with. One of his last tweets was very disturbing, in response to some keyboard warrior sending him abuse he said he'd be with his deceased mum again soon anyway. Horrible he was made to feel that low.

Social media is such a dangerous place, it's vitally important that anyone who uses it not become addicted and put all their feelings of self-worth into how people interact with them on there. I use twitter but keep my account on private so the only people whom see my content and send me messages are people I have specifically approved. Would strongly recommend this to anyone else, though staying off it entirely definitely isn't a bad idea. Social media was a wonderful creation that is sadly high-jacked by society's worst.

Please say something when you're in trouble, don't ever feel like no one would care if you weren't here anymore tomorrow!

Really sad to hear the news about Claude Callegari from AFTV. He was open about his mental-health struggles for years but it seems the lockdown was just too much for him to cope with. One of his last tweets was very disturbing, in response to some keyboard warrior sending him abuse he said he'd be with his deceased mum again soon anyway. Horrible he was made to feel that low.

Social media is such a dangerous place, it's vitally important that anyone who uses it not become addicted and put all their feelings of self-worth into how people interact with them on there. I use twitter but keep my account on private so the only people whom see my content and send me messages are people I have specifically approved. Would strongly recommend this to anyone else, though staying off it entirely definitely isn't a bad idea. Social media was a wonderful creation that is sadly high-jacked by society's worst.

Please say something when you're in trouble, don't ever feel like no one would care if you weren't here anymore tomorrow!
Your last paragraph, very good advice, taking that last step without seeking and taking advice is vital, nobody really wants to take that last step, it’s a cry for help, make that cry for help, if you can, before you take that last step, it can’t be reversed. The mind makes people do terrible things and is a terrible place to be in that position.

Great post Paul. Hearing of the arsenal fan taking his own life poor soul is terrible. I just wanted to bring something to the attention of everyone. We all know - I hope - the importance of talking to someone if you are struggling mentally. Can I add something else if I may. It's really important to make ourselves available to someone we suspect of struggling mentally. It can be difiacult asking someone such a delicate question, but, please be pro active, perhaps saying to someone sensitively: " are you ok, I've noticed you looking a bit down and I wanted you to know I'm happy to chat with you if you need someone to talk to "
Breaking the ice can mean all the difference. Knowing someone there is someone out there who cares is re assuring to someone. We ALL have something to offer, ALL of us. There are people out there who depend on you, are dependent on you, and yes who cares for and loves you. NEVER think your not worth it, because you most definitely are. Please, if you suspect someone's struggling, offer your support, it really can MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

Cheers

Great post Paul. Hearing of the arsenal fan taking his own life poor soul is terrible. I just wanted to bring something to the attention of everyone. We all know - I hope - the importance of talking to someone if you are struggling mentally. Can I add something else if I may. It's really important to make ourselves available to someone we suspect of struggling mentally. It can be difiacult asking someone such a delicate question, but, please be pro active, perhaps saying to someone sensitively: " are you ok, I've noticed you looking a bit down and I wanted you to know I'm happy to chat with you if you need someone to talk to "
Breaking the ice can mean all the difference. Knowing someone there is someone out there who cares is re assuring to someone. We ALL have something to offer, ALL of us. There are people out there who depend on you, are dependent on you, and yes who cares for and loves you. NEVER think your not worth it, because you most definitely are. Please, if you suspect someone's struggling, offer your support, it really can MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

Cheers
This 100%. I did a mental health first aid course about 18 months ago, run jointly by TUC and Mental Health England. The bloke from Mental Health England said you should always ask if you notice somebody's behaviour is different. One of the people on the course talked about a person he line managed, she had visible self harm scars on her arm that he noticed for the first time one day. He said to her "Do you want to talk about those?" She said no. He then asked "are you talking to anybody about them?" She relied that she was, told him about the people she was seeing. He said he felt reassured and also happy that he had asked her. The tutor also said never ignore somebody referencing suicide - even if you think they are joking. You should challenge, nicely. He gave the example of somebody saying "Well I might as well not be here", ask them what do they mean by that. You might just save a life.

I suffer from mental health issues. It's funny (not) that you make comments on here and some people respond with juvenile and offensive innuendos. Just watching a bit on TTV about the guy mentioned (Claude) and Baz says the point very well. Keyboard warriors.

I suffer from mental health issues. It's funny (not) that you make comments on here and some people respond with juvenile and offensive innuendos. Just watching a bit on TTV about the guy mentioned (Claude) and Baz says the point very well. Keyboard warriors.
Sorry to hear that you have mental health issues but that you feel some responses are juvenile and offensive. I have found that those who post on here are caring and supportive, often offering advice and links to various agencies who can offer practical help.