Digne> baines at peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pienaar was a >good< player for us. No more, no less. He wasn't ever in the top 5 in his position in the league, but he was a useful player. His work rate was important in a workmanlike Everton side under Moyes. I liked him.

He averaged a goal or an assist every 4.8 games for us across the two spells here. Bernard is averaging a goal or an assist every 7 games. The two are barely comparable. Pienaar was absolutely the better Footballer.

Right now, our expectations are higher than they were when Pienaar was here (although when we had Pienaar, we were a better side), so therefore we need to demand better from Bernard's position, irrespective of the 'relationship' he has with Digne - which clearly isn't valued all that highly by MS as he was swiftly dropped for Iwobi in our last 2 games.

Pienaar scored 2 goals in his first 40 appearances for us. You’d have slated him to high heaven on here.

Pienaar scored 2 goals in his first 40 appearances for us. You’d have slated him to high heaven on here.

My expectations of the team were lower then as we barely spent a penny.

My expectations of a winger were also lower then as we generally played with two strikers under Moyes.

My expectations are higher now because we've spent more than most of the biggest clubs in Europe over successive years.

My expectations of a winger now is much higher as we play with one striker and in those systems, your wide players need to contribute more.

It's off topic so i'll say no more in this thread about it but Bernard is not good enough for a team with top 6 ambitions.

My expectations of a winger were also lower then as we generally played with two strikers under Moyes.

My expectations are higher now because we've spent more than most of the biggest clubs in Europe over successive years.

My expectations of a winger now is much higher as we play with one striker and in those systems, your wide players need to contribute more.

It's off topic so i'll say no more in this thread about it but Bernard is not good enough for a team with top 6 ambitions.

We’re a worse team than we were under Moyes, regardless of how much we’ve spent. Walsh and Koeman spent £200m and assembled one of the worst squads in the league.

No we didnt o_O

Moyes was almost exclusively 451

Cahill / Fellaini behind 1 striker

I think the difference between Baines and Digne is in part due to the difference of where we are at as a club now.

When Baines came in we were good under Moyes but our best seasons were built on winning tight games by the odd goal. In that system, Baines was required to be influential going forward but not at the expense of losing our discipline.

In the current system, Digne has a lot more freedom I think than Baines ever had so a direct comparison isnt really fair on either player.

If i had to say, I would say that Digne is slightly better at the attacking phase of play and Baines is slightly better at the defending phase. Both great players but more importantly the exact type of player we needed in that position at the time they were/are in the team. I also think Digne is vastly underrated and overlooked by all fans/pundits outside our club which I am delighted at too!

Baines was sensational for a few years and I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone in world football during that time. Digne isn't there - yet.

His passing into midfield and upfront was excellent also and helped us boss games at times, which is often massively overlooked because he was so good at everything else offensively.

No we didnt o_O

Moyes was almost exclusively 451

Cahill / Fellaini behind 1 striker

Let's not get into semantics but in many games it was Saha and Yakubu up top in Pienaars 1st spell. In others we went 4-5-1 with Cahill or Felli playing as a SS.

In both cases, the point stands that LESS was expected of the wide players in terms of GA contribution than in a typical 4-3-3

Let's not get into semantics but in many games it was Saha and Yakubu up top in Pienaars 1st spell. In others we went 4-5-1 with Cahill or Felli playing as a SS.

In both cases, the point stands that LESS was expected of the wide players in terms of GA contribution than in a typical 4-3-3

We very rarely played with 2 up top under Moyes. He used to get slated for it.

I think Pienaar and Bernard are similar players and one thing both did / do very well without receiving a stat to back it up is the pass to create the assist.

Prime example was the winner on Sunday. Bernard lovely pass to Digne who then gets the assist for Richarlison.

Would love to see the amount of times Pienaar played Bainesy in for an assist during his whole time here

I still don't see the need to have a who is better conversation, both cracking left backs and we've hit jackpot getting in someone who we even mention in the same breath as peak Baines because peak Baines was very very good.

Baines has most defender assists in PL history put some respect on his name, closest is Graham Le Saux

And 4th most goals as a defender in PL history

(Ashley Young is top on both but has been a winger/forward most of his career so shouldnt be there)

He has been so so in last few games...maybe not fully confident right now...has played a lot better last season...but there is a good player in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.