2017/18 Davy Klaassen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the game passed him by in large spells, particularly first half, but still got an assist and should have had a goal if Davies hadn't pulled it back behind him from the right.

Good first time passing, seems to have a really good football brain, but no Barkley replacement, and needs to impose himself on games.

Lads he's captained Ajax to a title and Europa League Final in the past couple of years.

There's a player in there. I reckon reasonable minds would give him a few months of Premier League football.

Maybe you're right, and you can judge a player better than Ronald Koeman and top scouts, but give him a wee bit of time first. There's no points going for the "I wrote him off first cup" you helmets.

Think he'll be good when he settles properly, Got good movement and technique, links well with other players, just seems a little bit held back at the minute in the middle 3. Would like to see him a bit further forward in the Rooney role, seems a little bit wasted deeper

Wasn't the sort of game he would be suited to tonight. He is a workhorse player who likes working into spaces and creating spaces from his ball play. Very difficult when 9 outfield players are parked in front of you and there is no space to work in. His pass to DCL shows there is something there, not sure why peoples knickers are getting knotted. Relax. He won't be Barkley but he will be a dimension in midfield, particularly against top teams who do leave space in behind that we need to create scoring changes.

Wasn't the sort of game he would be suited to tonight. He is a workhorse player who likes working into spaces and creating spaces from his ball play. Very difficult when 9 outfield players are parked in front of you and there is no space to work in. His pass to DCL shows there is something there, not sure why peoples knickers are getting knotted. Relax. He won't be Barkley but he will be a dimension in midfield, particularly against top teams who do leave space in behind that we need to create scoring changes.
He's like the opposite of Barkley. All 1 touch passing and no dribbling. Less talent but sees and thinks quicker. You're right thought. He needs space. There was no space tonight as there were 138 central midfielders on the field.

He's like the opposite of Barkley. All 1 touch passing and no dribbling. Less talent but sees and thinks quicker. You're right thought. He needs space. There was no space tonight as there were 138 central midfielders on the field.
Exactly. Which is why losing Barkley is going to hurt more than people imagine. Davy makes things happen. Today is the sort of day you would play Barkley and bench Davy (ditto against teams at Goodison who park bus), but Rosgo decided to chuck the shits.

Nice pass for DCL to latch on to. Assist on his record for us.

Also played a nice tackle/pass to Sandro in the first half, which I thought he should have pulled the trigger sooner.

Promising, but felt he wasn't involved enough tonight. The game largely passed him by, then again our attacking play was largely anonymous again on the whole.

Siggy is the same way, but way more effective.

Klassen's first touch always impressed me along with his movement. That's hard to teach.

Get us Siggy and a target guy, maybe some speed on the right wing (Mor) and we are in business. It's going to take time to gel, though.

I really dont get why some of you dont see Davy's talent. Hes been great so far. Yes, hes completely unflashy. Why? Because hes not going to try to dribble past anyone, and that for most fans, is all they can use to judge talent. Instead his one touch passing is fantastic, he makes great runs, and his awareness of space is phenominal. Sure, on the goal alone his little run to find space when Rooney had the ball was great, as was his first time pass, but if you watch the rest of the game you will see many good runs he made where the ball just wasnt passed to him, or runs that opened up space for others.

Once this team starts to gel, and players get used to playing with eachother, and what kinds of runs/holdup play they like, you will see them hit more of those. I think once that happens you will see Klaassen with even more influence up top. I think his 2 very best abilities are his one touch passing and his movement off the ball. In a Lukaku is your striker game? Not that useful. In a team game? Its everything.

Let's just give all the boys a chance to bring it all together. It's still a team in the making and once the Premiership football kicks in and with the different styles of play we will face then we can start critiquing the players. Euro football in the early stages can be very one dimensional with opposing teams looking to stifle other teams. Even the likes of Barca would find it hard against that Slovak team who loaded mid field and defence - albeit, admittedly, they still managed to give us a couple of scares over the two legs.
The next month will tell us a bit more about the strength of our aspirations and then come the end of September we can commence the 'fume'. But until then l intend keeping my powder dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.