David Moyes

I can't remember Everton having a plan B in the 10 years he was here it was just graft football what i can remember is we matched most teams outside the top 6 and got beat home and away against the top 6 other than the odd exception which the late chairman called good times

Don't want to be disrespectful about West Ham they are a great club but you lot tried the champagne stuff under Pellegrini look how that turned out
Moyes will keep you floating which is better than sinking

I can't remember Everton having a plan B in the 10 years he was here it was just graft football what i can remember is we matched most teams outside the top 6 and got beat home and away against the top 6 other than the odd exception which the late chairman called good times

Don't want to be disrespectful about West Ham they are a great club but you lot tried the champagne stuff under Pellegrini look how that turned out
Moyes will keep you floating which is better than sinking
To be fair Moyes spent 13m Net over the 11 years he was here.

I think he performed miracles to do what he did.

Moyes' Everton could play some good stuff, when he had the best of the rest of the personnel not stockpiled at the big four/scab 6/ESL 8 he did us well.
He had to wheel and deal and find players with a grudge that had been scrap heaped and give them a path to redemption. This aspect is where he excelled.
Players overlooked, even sometimes by Everton previously he brought in and got working well. The system has changed somewhat now, there's more money available and the stockpiling of players is occurring overseas where PL clubs can farm out talent to Belgium and Portugal and the likes to see if they come good. So the pickings are even fewer. Moyes loved a punt, take a chance on a Lescott for instance or a Marcus Bent and see em come good. The problem was, sometimes they'd come so good they'd end up on mega wages elsewhere (Lescott, Arteta) or going awol (Yakubu) falling out of favour (Bent) suffering burn out (Cahill) or staying the course (Baines, Jagielka).
He was and is pragmatic, survival first anything extra a bonus. How we could have done with some of that recently. I'd have a drunk Moyes stood on his head in a bucket of water making decisions here before fat boy benitez, fat boy lampard, fat boy allardyce, or wide boy martinez. Chancers the lot. The opposite of safe and considered Moyes. People love rollercoasters, the ups n downs. Yeah variety and all that. Here at Everton we've suffered a few to many downs in the PL years.
Go all out and get him Lukaku to focus his side on with Soucek in behind a la Cahill and you'll see the difference. Give him his 25 league goals a season man as a certainty and you'll see a different Moyes side.

You forgot to mention fat boy Koeman.

Moyes' Everton could play some good stuff, when he had the best of the rest of the personnel not stockpiled at the big four/scab 6/ESL 8 he did us well.
He had to wheel and deal and find players with a grudge that had been scrap heaped and give them a path to redemption. This aspect is where he excelled.
Players overlooked, even sometimes by Everton previously he brought in and got working well. The system has changed somewhat now, there's more money available and the stockpiling of players is occurring overseas where PL clubs can farm out talent to Belgium and Portugal and the likes to see if they come good. So the pickings are even fewer. Moyes loved a punt, take a chance on a Lescott for instance or a Marcus Bent and see em come good. The problem was, sometimes they'd come so good they'd end up on mega wages elsewhere (Lescott, Arteta) or going awol (Yakubu) falling out of favour (Bent) suffering burn out (Cahill) or staying the course (Baines, Jagielka).
He was and is pragmatic, survival first anything extra a bonus. How we could have done with some of that recently. I'd have a drunk Moyes stood on his head in a bucket of water making decisions here before fat boy benitez, fat boy lampard, fat boy allardyce, or wide boy martinez. Chancers the lot. The opposite of safe and considered Moyes. People love rollercoasters, the ups n downs. Yeah variety and all that. Here at Everton we've suffered a few to many downs in the PL years.
Go all out and get him Lukaku to focus his side on with Soucek in behind a la Cahill and you'll see the difference. Give him his 25 league goals a season man as a certainty and you'll see a different Moyes side.

That goal barley got mentioned in the media… it is one of the best counter attacking goals I have ever seen from any team.

Pace, one touch football, cheeky back heel and an outside of the boot, first time shot from 25 yards.. apart from fouling Cahill at the start of the move, there was nothing they could do to stop that.

At some point when the money runs out Villa will come crashing back down (aka when the league make sure they don't get CL and FFP makes sure they can't spend to get it) and Emery will get found out. Howe will be gone by the end of the season.
I think that’s a bit unfair on Villa tbh, Emery isn’t a chequebook manager, most of the squad that’s doing so well this season are the same players that were complete [Poor language removed] under Gerrard.

I don’t see their good form lasting as they are starting to look tired but Emery has shown he’s an excellent coach this season.

I get that West Ham fans might not find the football the most entertaining but I actually thought the last season or so that Moyes had been a bit more attacking and a bit less defensive. Not in all games, there were a few recent ones where you sat in a lot but it’s not been every game and they’ve been a pretty good watch overall.

Moyes is certainly effective though and I honestly don’t get wanting him gone. West Ham were consistently fighting relegations when he came in, he’s now got you up the league and won a European Trophy, hasn’t bankrupted them in doing it either, has got over selling one of your best players in Rice without harm to the team. Yet all this and it’s still not enough?? Crazy.

I'll maintain that by the end it became a joke.

Moves without doubt saved us from the mire and who knows where we'd be without him. It's widely reported that Walter Smith insisted to Billy Blue that we should go for Moyes, when he was adamant on Gary Megson.

I feel Moyes by the end got into a comfort zone. The fans had Got fed up, attendances were dropping to low 30,000s and it needed a change.

Sadly, our board and management have been calamitous ever since, and effectively undone Moyes good work and made us a circus.

The mentality he set upon us, bizarrely is the only thing which has stuck. "Knives to a Gunfight", "Lucky to get out of there alive" is firmly in the mindset of the club nowadays, sadly. Along with the people's club. Oh they've just won a European Cup? Doesn't matter lads were all from L postcodes lol

Without him we'd have been stuck, but won't forget he had us on the hook until United came calling. Nor him reneging on his "I'll stay clear of your best players" before going straight for Baines.

So thanks Moyes, sincerely mean it. But think people often forget the bad times like the Wembley Derby, bottling Fiorentina, Sporting Lisbon, Dinamo
Bucharest, no Anfield wins.

Hello and I appreciate being allowed on to your site.

I have a question. Apologies if others have asked before. But after a while, did you get tired of Moyes' tactics, stubborn-ness and the standard of football under him ?

You'll be aware of the divide it's causing amongst us West Ham fans. True, he won us a trophy but with the exception of Fiorentina in the final, in which we were very lucky, the standard of opposition was average at best.

My own view is that he's sucking the life out of us. As for the 'be careful what you wish for' and 'safe pair of hands' spouted out by his mates in the media, I don't buy into it.

Thanks in advance and good luck for the rest of the season.
Sounds familiar.

He leans to conservatism and pragmatism. This can be glaringly to his detriment. But on the whole it got him a good points haul across a number seasons and regular European competition, which we've increasingly rarely looked like getting since.

In hindsight Moyes did a tremendous job for us. I'd not be agitating to remove him. He'll probably go if the right team flashes it's knickers. But the longer you have him the more he'll build up solid foundations. Imho it's since those foundations fell away that we've really nose dived (Martinez and Koeman certainly benefitted there).

The big challenge will be appointing the right person to take advantage.

Just my take, I'm sure others here will disagree or see things slightly differently.

Last edited:
When Moyes was manager here loads of people were moaning that the football was rubbish (it really wasn't), and that we needed to bin Moyes and get a more progressive manager in order to get to the next level. When he left and we got a more progressive manager we plummeted down the league and we now dream about the Baines/Pienaar/Arteta inspired football that had us scoring plenty of goals and finishing in the top 6 most seasons.

When Moyes bins West Ham off next summer (as he should after the stick he keeps getting) and you plummet down the league, you will realise what you had.
If he had his first 11 and the gears clicked we'd play some good togger.

Loads of square pegs in round holes and more often than not a threadbare squad/injuries so he'd batten down the hatches.

Pragmatic.

It's honestly such a f'n pisstake that West Ham fans have the gall to criticise Moyes. What are you honestly expecting? Another club, like Newcastle, who have the audacity to claim they're a big club. Not won a single championship in English football history. And where is this perception that they are known for good football come from? They haven't done so for literally decades. They've been in the second division on more than one occasion. Shut your mouths and enjoy the best you've had in generations, soft arse.
But they won the world cup........