David Moyes - Tactically Inept

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread + time = humiliation!

He might not be inept, but he's seriously limited. This is a pretty poor league beyond 5 or 6 teams. It's not that difficult for a driven and focussed manager to get a big effort out of non-star players he can intimidate and secure respectable league finishes. And if we ever qualify for Europe again I'd be less than hopeful that he'd learned anything from the maulings he took on ocassion in the EL.

He might not be inept, but he's seriously limited. This is a pretty poor league beyond 5 or 6 teams. It's not that difficult for a driven and focussed manager to get a big effort out of non-star players he can intimidate and secure respectable league finishes. And if we ever qualify for Europe again I'd be less than hopeful that he'd learned anything from the maulings he took on ocassion in the EL.

Harsh for me to be honest, i think its more to do with the fact that he has limited options - which comes down to the board. Not like you to miss that trick mate.

Harsh for me to be honest, i think its more to do with the fact that he has limited options - which comes down to the board. Not like you to miss that trick mate.

If Moyes were to go tomorrow my abiding memory would be his security blanket midfield; refusal/inability to ever sort out the flanks at Everton; and his spending on forwards who he never ever got the best out of (or knew how to get the best out of them).

He's got great work ethic. For £3M per annum I'd expect nothing less, tbh. He can keep order in a Premier League squad too, which is pretty impressive I have to admit. It must be like trying to keep a lid on a box of frogs. His selling point now is this ability to keep order and churn out consistency and remain in the league whilst we're managed to decline off it.

If Moyes were to go tomorrow my abiding memory would be his security blanket midfield; refusal/inability to ever sort out the flanks at Everton; and his spending on forwards who he never ever got the best out of (or knew how to get the best out of them).

He's got great work ethic. For £3M per annum I'd expect nothing less, tbh. He can keep order in a Premier League squad too, which is pretty impressive I have to admit. It must be like trying to keep a lid on a box of frogs. His selling point now is this ability to keep order and churn out consistency and remain in the league whilst we're managed to decline off it.

He is working in constraints though which is the key in this context. Lets not forget within that context and possibly pound for pound he is the most successfull manager in the last ten years.

I think its massively poor, that a lot of fans have jumped of the band waggon - following years of relative success with our means. He has my loyalty anyway.

Relegated with out him IMHO.

"Moyes out" is a non starter, everyone should know that by now.

Moyes has been lucky in those last few games. West brom had a few good chances that could of finished us off, and we got lucky, Anichebe lucky.

Very happy with the win here, but we can't pretend that luck is a moyes masterstroke. That's all I'm saying.

Two mediocre teams slugging it out. A welcome 3 points, but let's not kid ourselves - we're lightyears away from the attacking force that we want to be.

Moyes is getting more and more frustrating as time goes on. I really cant see Phil Neville getting in many other teams (especially in center midfield).

The whole Barkely thing is totally confusing also...

With respect: (Current table) - Teams above us 0-0-7 (& 1 cup loss) Teams below us 7-3-1 (& 2 cup victories) - means we're capable of beating lesser sides but have no answer to (generally) better sides at the moment.

This Neville thing. Well! Sometimes I think we're down to the bare bones so the team kind of picks itself. I guess the arrival of Landon will help (maybe also Victor but that's a big maybe) & anyone else up front would be useful.

He is working under constraints, though which is the key in this context. Lets not forget within that context and possibly pound for pound he is the most successfull manager in the last ten years.

I think its massively poor, that a lot of fans have jumped of the band waggon - following years of relative success with our means. He has my loyalty anyway.

Relegated with out him IMHO.

If he's working under constraint, then that's something he should do something about instead of signing up for the managed decline of the club. He's part and parcel of that decline for me, irrespective of whatever he does with the team. It saddens me to see someone come to the club with high-minded ideals and be ground down into a company man willing to put up and shut up.

And there's no bandwagon jumping with me. I've always taken the view he should be thanked for getting some discipline back into the playing side of things - God knows we needed it aftet HKIII and that tit Smith - but that he's not top draw. TBF, he got together a halfways decent squad by 2008/09 (laughably compared to the great side of the 80s by some, but we'll let that go). On their day they could topple a top class team, but I'm not sure a bolder manager couldn't have squeezed out a bit more from them and turned a trophy or another CL finish out of them. Anyway, he allowed all that to be demolished, and part of judging a good manager is knowing if they had the right instinct at the right time. He stuck around when he should have walked IMO..and that's indicative of him: he doesn't make the crucial call at the appropriate moment.

If he's working under constraint, then that's something he should do something about instead of signing up for the managed decline of the club. He's part and parcel of that decline for me, irrespective of whatever he does with the team. It saddens me to see someone come to the club with high-minded ideals and be ground down into a company man willing to put up and shut up.

And there's no bandwagon jumping with me. I've always taken the view he should be thanked for getting some discipline back into the playing side of things - God knows we needed it aftet HKIII and that tit Smith - but that he's not top draw. TBF, he got together a halfways decent squad by 2008/09 (laughably compared to the great side of the 80s by some, but we'll let that go). On their day they could topple a top class team, but I'm not sure a bolder manager couldn't have squeezed out a bit more from them and turned a trophy or another CL finish out of them. Anyway, he allowed all that to be demolished, and part of judging a good manager is knowing if they had the right instinct at the right time. He stuck around when he should have walked IMO..and that's indicative of him: he doesn't make the crucial call at the appropriate moment.

So in essence you don't like him because you see him complicit with the board, wouldnt that be true of any other manager who came in though.

I fear sometimes mate, you want to see Everton burn so you can have a go at the board.

Hes built those teams more or less from scratch, turned championship players into internationals and built the club up from dross to one with proper structures from top to bottom, CL, Europa, Cup Finals - i would have settled for not just being a laughing stock when he took over. Besides that he has made Everton tens of millions over the years, in transfer dealings and saved wages for the calibre of player he brought in. To be honest i would prefer his approach to a Tony Mowbray, Di Matteo, Holloway etc as its proved its sustainable, its glass ceiling time, we all know that, but the book doesnt stop with Davey for me. People just want drama and change for change sake for me.

Like i said before pound for pound prob the best manager of the last 15 years well maybe second behind Wenger.

So in essence you don't like him because he see him complicit with the board, wouldnt that be true of any other manager who came in though. I fear sometimes mate, you want to see Everton burn so you can have a go at the board. Hes built those team more or less from scratch, turned championship players into internationals and built the club up from dross to one with proper structures from top to bottom, CL, Europa, Cup Finals - i would have settled for not just being a laughing stock when he took over. Besides that he has made Everton tens of millions over the years, in transfer dealings and saved wages for the calibre of player he brought in. To be honest i would prefer his approach to a Tony Mowbray, Di Matteo, Holloway etc. People just want drama and change for change sake for me.

Like i said before pound for pound prob the best manager of the last 15 years well maybe second behind Wenger.

You couldn't make it up could you?

He'd want him to do a Raffa Benitez (look at him he's dead employable!). So anyone else that came in instead of this board could have complete confidence in him?

*shakes head*

Shape the battlefield lids.

You couldn't make it up could you?

He'd want him to do a Raffa Benitez (look at him he's dead employable!). So anyone else that came in instead of this board could have complete confidence in him?

*shakes head*

Shape the battlefield lids.

As you ignored it last time i'll make this a bit shorter for you.

Yeah, keep shaping the battlefield Dave and hopefully we might sell even more players.

Keep having sly little digs in the media so Kenwrong ****s his pants and finds you £50million for new players.

So in essence you don't like him because you see him complicit with the board, wouldnt that be true of any other manager who came in though.

I fear sometimes mate, you want to see Everton burn so you can have a go at the board.

Hes built those teams more or less from scratch, turned championship players into internationals and built the club up from dross to one with proper structures from top to bottom, CL, Europa, Cup Finals - i would have settled for not just being a laughing stock when he took over. Besides that he has made Everton tens of millions over the years, in transfer dealings and saved wages for the calibre of player he brought in. To be honest i would prefer his approach to a Tony Mowbray, Di Matteo, Holloway etc as its proved its sustainable, its glass ceiling time, we all know that, but the book doesnt stop with Davey for me. People just want drama and change for change sake for me.

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.