David Moyes - Tactically Inept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes tactics are certainly an enigma. I really wish he didn't have favourites and instead went with the players who can do the job at the time. I really don't understand why we're the only team in the prem who consistently refuse to play two strikers at the same time...

I would bet a fair amount of money that Fellaini behind the striker had not been practised on the training pitch in the days leading up to the Wigan game.

Newcastle give a debut to Cisse and he plays a blinder and scores the winner.

Whaaaa? Cisse was complete dog****, what a poor player he looks. Slashes at a volley that loops into the top corner now he's worth £20m and was awesome! pfft

I can almost here the dressing room conversation after the Wigan game....
"Steven, when you play them forward passes i dont want you making forward runs for the one-two and all that fancy stuff...."
"But boss, at Tottenham I would..."
"..... your not at Tottenham now Steven. Just stay were you are so they can pass it back to you for f...s sake !"

Haha, feel your pain there - I actually agree with your original post.

DO NOT under estimate life under Moyes.

Dont think you can do better than you are. Many fell foul of this.

Look at where you are, net spend ... yes PL football, and far more, really rate him and the finishes he produces with Everton and the old stadium.

Why not? Just because we might end up with someone worse? Just having PL football isn't good enough. Performances like that, and Blackburn, aren't good enough with the squad we have. The board is largely culpable for the state of the squad atm, but the only person responsible for not making the most of the squad available is Moyes. And to suggest that there is no-one who could do better with it is blinkered to the extreme.

I would bet a fair amount of money that Fellaini behind the striker had not been practised on the training pitch in the days leading up to the Wigan game.

I was looking through our top goalscorers the other night and whoever was top was generally moved on or ruined in a couple of years. Fellaini wasn't far off double figures in his debut season and could play up there if asked. The annoying thing though is that Moyes will expect him to play in the hole and get back to defend as well and rather than playing to his strengths we'll ask him to do lots of running.

David Moyes is a superb tactician. When it comes to nullifying opponents, I can't think of anyone better. I mean, think about it, when was the last time one of the leagues top players had a good game against us? In this respect, he is brilliant. However, when it comes to crossing the half way line, he doesn't really have a clue. Which is a shame really, for all involved.

I don't agree that he's a master defender. We have 10-11 men on the edge of our own box most of the time, which would be hard for anyone to get through, and we still concede more than a goal a game on average.

I have never liked moyes and never will. The football we play is hopeless and boring, this will never change under moyes. Even in the so called football years under moyes memories are a little cloudy. We still played an awful lot of hoofball and played decent footy in fits and starts when the likes of pienaar,osman and arteta got the ball further up the pitch. he even managed to move arteta (one of our only creative outlets) into a defensive midfield role.

people can try and defend David the ego moyes all they want but home crowds don't lie, and ours will keep dropping until he has gone because he will never change.

I have never liked moyes and never will. The football we play is hopeless and boring, this will never change under moyes. Even in the so called football years under moyes memories are a little cloudy. We still played an awful lot of hoofball and played decent footy in fits and starts when the likes of pienaar,osman and arteta got the ball further up the pitch. he even managed to move arteta (one of our only creative outlets) into a defensive midfield role.

people can try and defend David the ego moyes all they want but home crowds don't lie, and ours will keep dropping until he has gone because he will never change.

I get the feeling that he feels forced to be defensive because he doesn't have the money to bring in the quality of the bigger boys. Bily's dad said that it's as if Moyes doesn't trust his defenders. I actually think that he has very little trust in players generally and that's why he's so cautious. There was a glimmer of adventure when we had Arteta, Pienaar and Osman, but selling key men on meant he reverted to type.

Even though I complain about him, I still think he's the best man for the job. He gives us stability and he puts up with our financial constraints. As much as I'd love to see more flair like Swansea and Norwich, I can appreciate that Moyes will grind out results to keep us safely away from the relegation zone whereas more open sides will struggle to adapt their game to scrap their way out of trouble.

We've had a fantastic foundation for years. My hope is that Jelavic pays off, younger players like Anichebe, Vellios, Barkley and Gueye come through and that we're able to bolster the squad with high-quality bosmans over the summer like Drenthe, Kalou and Hoilett. We've ridden the waves over the last few years. It's now time to get serious and kick on.

I can understand his negative tactics with 15 to go against a top 4 team but it's hard to swallow at half time against Wigan who are frankly shocking! Why not stick anichebe or jelavic on? 1 up front against Wigan f**king unreal!

To my eyes we looked much better after the cahill / neville substitution than before it.

Fellaini was far more effective than Cahill in the advanced role, even though that's not his position.

And that's the main problem. Until Moyes gets over the love affair with Tim Cahill, we will not progress as a club. He was our best player along with Mikkey for 5+ years, as well as a top bloke, but he's lost it now. Every time he gets the ball you just think please don't lose it, he seems to take ages to think what to do, he doesn't have the confidence to pass forward or create anything, plus the goals have dried up. I'd rather have the limited Neville doing a destructive job in front of the back four, than having no creativity up front. Donovan / Osman should be doing that role. Pienaar / Drenthe on the wings.

To my eyes we looked much better after the cahill / neville substitution than before it.

Fellaini was far more effective than Cahill in the advanced role, even though that's not his position.

And that's the main problem. Until Moyes gets over the love affair with Tim Cahill, we will not progress as a club. He was our best player along with Mikkey for 5+ years, as well as a top bloke, but he's lost it now. Every time he gets the ball you just think please don't lose it, he seems to take ages to think what to do, he doesn't have the confidence to pass forward or create anything, plus the goals have dried up. I'd rather have the limited Neville doing a destructive job in front of the back four, than having no creativity up front. Donovan / Osman should be doing that role. Pienaar / Drenthe on the wings.

Agreed.

Always makes me laugh when people say nobody could do better than Moyes. I remember when he was first brought in and everybody was saying he was a no mark and people were flipping out. Some people wanted Andy Gray FFS.

Look at what Brendan Rogers has done at Swansea, like Moyes he doesn't have a pot to pi** in, but he also has a far worse squad than Moyes does.

Status
Not open for further replies.