Match Thread Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't got a problem with you being negative about the game yesterday. We should, and probably would have won the game quite easily had we taken one or more of the early chances that came our way. But overall most fans will be disappointed that we only came away from Palace with a point, when we should have had all 3 if we want to seriously post a challenge to the top 6 this season.

But to write off our whole season on the back of one performance is just ludicrous. It really is. I'd normally advise you to give your head a wobble but I think it's already fallen off.

It’s not based on one game Fred. It’s based on what happened last season, what happened in the off season and pre season.

I’m not a big fan of Silva, I don’t think he is the right man to take us to where we should be. I do agree though, that Brands has let him down in the transfer window.

I hope I’m wrong but at the moment I’m not sure where our next goal is coming from, never mind next win.

We also need to look at the competition... other teams have strengthened whereas we have stagnated, at best.

Just seen the Milivojevic 'tackle' on Bernard. Apparently it's only a yellow because he won the ball and it's a follow-through below the waist. Yet Jagielka last season was sent off for a follow-through despite winning the ball against Wolves. Genuinely no idea what to expect every week with the laws of the game these days.

It’s not based on one game Fred. It’s based on what happened last season, what happened in the off season and pre season.

I’m not a big fan of Silva, I don’t think he is the right man to take us to where we should be. I do agree though, that Brands has let him down in the transfer window.

I hope I’m wrong but at the moment I’m not sure where our next goal is coming from, never mind next win.

We also need to look at the competition... other teams have strengthened whereas we have stagnated, at best.

I agree. The game was a mirror image of last season. The new faces we brought in were on the bench and we started with the same players who couldn't score last season. Not surprising we scored nil.

Fair enough. There are 2 ways to look at last season. One is the period December to Feb when we were awful. The other is March to May when we were literally the third best team in the league.

Then there are 2 way to look at pre season. One is that it is a direct link to how we play in the league. The other is that it is used to get the players fit and to try and introduce new signings into the squad. I've never been bothered by pre-season form, good or bad.

There are also 2 ways to look at the transfer window. One is negatively because we lost Gana and failed to replace Zouma in the squad from last season. The other I to look at the extra quality we have brought in all over the pitch and the increased number of options available to the manager to mix things up a bit. The general consensus from people not connected to the club is that we have had a very good window and have improved. The only poor assessment is, not at all surprisingly, from Talksport and even they listed us at 10th, hardly a disaster.

I also disagree with other teams strengthening. United have improved their defence but are weaker in midfield and attack. Chelsea have lost Hazard. Spurs and Arsenal have both improved although Arsenals defence is just as poor as it was before. Wolves haven't improved their starting XI and squad improvements will be taken up by Europa. Leicester have lost their main defender. West Ham looked to have improved.

I still think you are knee jerking though. None of the new players, Gomes apart, have had time to settle into the team or the league and I think you should give it at least a month or so before writing us off completely.

As it stands, the chances are you will be correct and we won't break into the top 6. None of the bookies think we will anyway. Apart from Leicester winning the league, nobody has come close since we finished 5th in Martinez first season. It will be very hard to bridge that gap and I think we may fall a bit short unless the new signings work out well and all hit the ground running. We need to make the most of the relatively easy start to the season and I agree that yesterday wasn't the best start. But it's also no need to give up.

Just seen the Milivojevic 'tackle' on Bernard. Apparently it's only a yellow because he won the ball and it's a follow-through below the waist. Yet Jagielka last season was sent off for a follow-through despite winning the ball against Wolves. Genuinely no idea what to expect every week with the laws of the game these days.
He should have walked for persistent fouling mate, yet Sneids gets sent off for 2 bookables. The first one was a great tackle, ok he showed his frustration but if soft lad Moss had done his job properly in the first place the game would have just carried on and we'd have been in a good position.

Funny how the moaners were worried about our defence in tatters all summer. But we get a clean sheet with 10 men and now it's the attack they're after.

I don’t care what flak comes my way from the ‘bury your head in the sand brigade’ but that Everton team yesterday should be beating Crystal Palace hands down.

We will not finish top six.

We need a manager who is a proven winner in the top European leagues. Silva isn’t that man.

I watched Spurs v Aston Villa yesterday too. Mark my words...we will struggle to beat Villa never mind Spurs.

The transfer window has been a poor one for so many reasons. My only hope is that Iwobi can produce something and exceed expectations.

There you go I’ve said it. I’ll put my flak jacket and tin helmet on now but let’s re visit this come May next year and see how wrong I am.

As you were.

I too have reservations about Silva , but am willing to wait and see.
Benteke has said that Everton are a top 6 side , so he must have been impressed yesterday.
I reckon we will finish miles ahead of Villa.

I too have reservations about Silva , but am willing to wait and see.
Benteke has said that Everton are a top 6 side , so he must have been impressed yesterday.
I reckon we will finish miles ahead of Villa.

We should be a top 6 side... without doubt.

I really think we need a very good manager. At the moment we’ve only got a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.