2019/20 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you say but it means something different to people in countries England has invaded and robbed
Yeah because they have it wrong, they interpret it to mean what they want it to mean,rather then what it actually means.
As for Everton wearing one, it would be disgusting from the club if they didnt, considering we have Ex Everton players who were killed in the war and have a memorial to them outside the ground

Off Topic
People need to seriously consider whether it is appropriate to offer unswerving support to their armed forces. I don't see why it is always seen as a virtuous action to offer support. If the military action being taken is aggressive, unjust, illegal or just morally wrong, support should not be offered without criticism.

This veneration without question of armed forces around the world is always played upon by unsavoury politicians (look at what Trump does atm with his constant mention of 'vets' and 'our patriot armed forces') as a means to get effective public support for their military interventions. Yes, they are men and women who are sent into dangerous situations by their politicians, but that does not automatically make them heroes and it does not automatically make them worthy of our support. It is possible to wish that no harm befalls them without giving tacit support to their actions. People need to realise that.

This Tosun situation is just awful. Personally I wouldn't care if it was Messi doing it at our club - I want him gone.
The problem with this is that you are supporting the troops, not what they're doing. It's their job, and like any job, they're doing what they're told to do. It's not like the troops themselves are deciding who to invade etc.

Edit: saw the on topic warnings after posting; sorry

He's an idiot b

No the political gesture is idiot Premier league clubs like Everton putting the poppy on their shirts.

They're both overtly political gestures. Rejecting a political gesture is in itself a political gesture.

To take another example, in the NFL they play the American national anthem before the game. Colin Kaepernick and certain other players taking a knee to protest police brutality, inter alia, was a political gesture. As was / is playing the anthem in the first place. As is posing for a salute to your country's soldiers during a war.

There's a player who plays his trade in the 2nd tier of Germany who just got sacked for making a post regarding his support of Turkish troops .
I think Cenk will be getting a slap on the wrist by Everton's PR team .

Status
Not open for further replies.