2019/20 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a similar note, hearing the England fans adopt anti racist songs tonight gave me a laugh. I´d bet there were a few in the away end who´d enjoyed a good day out at the odd EDL rally down the years.

I don´t like what Tosun has done but when I visited Turkey a few years ago you could sense a misplaced national pride. I think him and the players are just caught up in it and are reflecting society. We might find it deplorable but he just doesn´t know any better.
He was born and raised in Germany, and played for Germany to U21 level. He only switched to Turkey after realising he wasn't good enough to make the German squad.

On a similar note, hearing the England fans adopt anti racist songs gave me a laugh. I´d bet there were a few in the away end who´d enjoyed a good day out at the odd EDL rally down the years.

I don´t like what Tosun has done but when I visited Turkey a few years ago you could sense a misplaced national pride. I think him and the players are just caught up in it and are reflecting society. We might find it deplorable but he just doesn´t know any better.

Exactly. It disgusts me but then the starving, raping, killing of innocent people anywhere does and our hands are filthy.

All for what? 99% Religious beliefs, 1% race. When will it all stop?

He was born and raised in Germany, and played for Germany to U21 level. He only switched to Turkey after realising he wasn't good enough to make the German squad.

Fair enough. Defending someone making these salutes isn´t a hill I want to die on. He wouldn´t be the first to jump on a bandwagon to fit in with the crowd, I´d be more surprised if he gave his team mates the cold shoulder and left them to it - much as that would´ve pleased me.

2 nights in a row.... I gave him the benefit of the doubt but now... I can only condone it. Sorry Cenk. Love you bud but enough is enough with the political stuff in football

On a similar note, hearing the England fans adopt anti racist songs tonight gave me a laugh. I´d bet there were a few in the away end who´d enjoyed a good day out at the odd EDL rally down the years.

In Turkish eyes, the fight is against terrorists, considering civilian buses in Ankara and Besiktas stadium right after a footbal game were targeted multiple times in 2016 killing more than 100 people, after Turkey opened their borders to allow Kurdish Peshmerga to pass into Northern Syria to help the very same Kurdish people and even Kurdish people running away from the war in Syria were let in Turkish side.

In Turkish public opinion intervention is justified and you can't expect footballers to stand against a fight against terrorism, imagine American players not supporting fight against terrorists after 9/11 and saying "I am against wars, stay away from Afghanistan" and multiply that with some blind nationalism you observed during your visit. This is not like Turkey declared war against Greece out of nowhere, can't expect footballers to stand against it.

In Turkish eyes, the fight is against terrorists, considering civilian buses in Ankara and Besiktas stadium right after a footbal game were targeted multiple times in 2016 killing more than 100 people, after Turkey opened their borders to allow Kurdish Peshmerga to pass into Northern Syria to help the very same Kurdish people and even Kurdish people running away from the war in Syria were let in Turkish side.

In Turkish public opinion intervention is justified and you can't expect footballers to stand against a fight against terrorism, imagine American players not supporting fight against terrorists after 9/11 and saying "I am against wars, stay away from Afghanistan" and multiply that with some blind nationalism you observed during your visit. This is not like Turkey declared war against Greece out of nowhere, can't expect footballers to stand against it.

Good post. It´s easy for us to sit here and call him out for what he´s doing but it´s important to see it from the other perspective. If people are against what Turkey are doing then speak out about it by all means, I just think directing abuse towards Tosun is a waste of time. I say that as someone who thinks the salute is appalling, I just understand why he has done it.

Yeah but you and I will not be able to pass the nuance to our British friends. Thinking I always despised militaristic/nationalist culture in the country, I feel not so willing. I know that Cenk is not enjoying while thinking his govt killing civilians beside any fighters (if that is happening) because he is not aware of such thing, he probably follows Turkish media and chatting to mostly Turkish friends. I don't think he is a fascist, he is just doing what random Turk in the street does, educated/westernised Turks like you/me can detect the misplaced stance from the outside perspective, but you can't expect that level of boldness from Cenk. Like him or loathe him, he is a mirror to his society, money doesn't make you intellectual

Football is football why do they have to do this? So unneeded. Deserves action taken against him really

Status
Not open for further replies.