2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely awful team selection. So bad that I don't know where to start.

1) at least 1 of Keane or Mina have to play for their physical presence and ability to play out from the back. Passing out from the back was abysmal today, especially Holgate. This makes it hard to even play your way into the game as the ball would not stick at all. Even when we have struggled in the past at least when we go back to Keane/Mina we keep the ball fairly well and try to rebuild possession.

2) James Rodriguez can't play with Coleman. Lots of cogs cease to operate when we lineup with this combination. James can't help out defensively enough, in turn Coleman (who already is regressing in quality) gets caught out more and more. This drags Doucoure into helping out down right channel far too much and the midfield crumbles.

3) Not sure why we had so many central type players on the pitch tonight. Gomes, Siggurdson, Davies, James, Doucoure. No width whatsoever. We was destroyed down the wings all game.

We would have been better off sticking with Holgate and Godfrey RB and LB and pushing Digne up wide and Iwobi on the right or sub on for James.

Richarlison's movement all game was cack. Not once made a decent spin to try get behind. Ball to feet game doesn't suit him at all so don't know why he was playing like that.

I think Carlo wanted to rotate and manage the squad tonight far too much thinking about number of games we have to play. Can't think of any other reason he would drop both Mina and Keane.

I'm proper proper deflated after tonight's game. We always flake when we are gifted opportunities by other teams performing poorly. We never capitalise on it.

He's trying to do the best job he can with the players we have. Who is going to do what you've said out of Everton's current squad? We have no pace in the team other than Godfrey and DCL. We need to keep it tight and try and score on the break or engineer free kicks and corners. That's how we've been getting most of our points.
Carlo has had 3 windows to address our lack of pace. He has brought in James, Allan and Doucoure who have made it worse. Keeping it tight, looking to score on the break or from set pieces is just pure Allardyce.

midfield far too deep, lost count of the time Siggy and Gomes picked up the ball off the defence as they were alongside the defence. There were then no options to take it through the midfield as they were supposed to be that option, and Richarlison was making runs too early, Gomes/Siggy hadn't picked their heads up when he was making these runs. other Everton day to forget.

James, Siggy and Gomes only one of them can play on the pitch at time. Too slow...

Even if we have to shoehorn them in, surely carlo knows they cant play this horrible manifestation of counter attacking football. Only way to make amends for an entire midfield of slow players, is to let them get on the ball in the oppositions half and have quicker defenders behind them to sweep up and cover. Make the likes of fulham and crap teams play long balls out. Granted that might not work against the better sides, but these games are where the points are at if we aspire to win things/get into europe.

All well and good getting a result against the top 6, but theres 13 other teams that make up 26 more games that youd like to think we should be able to perform much better in.. if we played to the strengths of the players we have at our disposal.

Last edited:

1) at least 1 of Keane or Mina have to play for their physical presence and ability to play out from the back. Passing out from the back was abysmal today, especially Holgate. This makes it hard to even play your way into the game as the ball would not stick at all. Even when we have struggled in the past at least when we go back to Keane/Mina we keep the ball fairly well and try to rebuild possession.

2) James Rodriguez can't play with Coleman. Lots of cogs cease to operate when we lineup with this combination. James can't help out defensively enough, in turn Coleman (who already is regressing in quality) gets caught out more and more. This drags Doucoure into helping out down right channel far too much and the midfield crumbles.

3) Not sure why we had so many central type players on the pitch tonight. Gomes, Siggurdson, Davies, James, Doucoure. No width whatsoever. We was destroyed down the wings all game.

We would have been better off sticking with Holgate and Godfrey RB and LB and pushing Digne up wide and Iwobi on the right or sub on for James.

Richarlison's movement all game was cack. Not once made a decent spin to try get behind. Ball to feet game doesn't suit him at all so don't know why he was playing like that.

I think Carlo wanted to rotate and manage the squad tonight far too much thinking about number of games we have to play. Can't think of any other reason he would drop both Mina and Keane.

I'm proper proper deflated after tonight's game. We always flake when we are gifted opportunities by other teams performing poorly. We never capitalise on it.
100% right. Playing that front 3 and Doucoure/Gomes to cover full backs was suicidal.

Even putting Sigurdsson on he ginger kid, like he did at Leeds, might have helped. To do nothing was just weird.

100% right. Playing that front 3 and Doucoure/Gomes to cover full backs was suicidal.

Even putting Sigurdsson on he ginger kid, like he did at Leeds, might have helped. To do nothing was just weird.
The weirdest part is playing two quick, aggressive centre backs and then defending so deep. If you lack pace then you compress the pitch, play a high line and get your players as close to each other as possible. In the away game against Fulham we pressed and Fulham turned over possession. Tonight we just allowed them to play.

I think he went with Holgate and Godfrey because they are quick and I think he felt that with digne and Coleman pushing forward (which was the plan) they would be more adept at dealing with the pace on the counter. I think he had in mind the way that Callum Wilson tore keane and mina apart against Newcastle. And when you consider how bad we were in that game too its hard to put the main issue down to us changing the two centre backs.

I think he went with Holgate and Godfrey because they are quick and I think he felt that with digne and Coleman pushing forward (which was the plan) they would be more adept at dealing with the pace on the counter. I think he had in mind the way that Callum Wilson tore keane and mina apart against Newcastle. And when you consider how bad we were in that game too its hard to put the main issue down to us changing the two centre backs.

For sure Mina can have his moments and even Keane, but for the most part, their presence, positioning and ball playing contributes to our game far more positively than any negatives most of the time.

Just think its bizarre not to play either of them, apart from pure rotation for resting purposes. Which if the case, backfired spectacularly.

For me, Keane mops up the ball across the box for the first goal. How many times has he made clearances like that all season? Loads.

Criminal that they got in down the left so easily in the first place mind, Coleman and Doucoure couldn't handle them, with James probably 100ft up the pitch checking his ankles or something.

For sure Mina can have his moments and even Keane, but for the most part, their presence, positioning and ball playing contributes to our game far more positively than any negatives most of the time.

Just think its bizarre not to play either of them, apart from pure rotation for resting purposes. Which if the case, backfired spectacularly.

For me, Keane mops up the ball across the box for the first goal. How many times has he made clearances like that all season? Loads.

Criminal that they got in down the left so easily in the first place mind, Coleman and Doucoure couldn't handle them, with James probably 100ft up the pitch checking his ankles or something.

I think our results with James in the team are starting to become a worry. He was bought for the purpose of turning up in these kind of games and letting his quality be the difference that sees us over the line. But its becoming too common that when he plays we're are surrendering too much of the ball and too much territory.

Do I think he's the only problem? No.... but for James to be effective for us he needs to either create goals or score them. He offers absolutely nothing else.

Its a real head scratcher today because I genuinely can't believe how bad we were. I feel like credit should go to Fulham but when you consider Newcastle did the exact same thing its becoming a concerning trend.

Ok the team was set up wrong tonight, gave Fulham total initiative to boss us from the first minute. Truth is i think we have punched above our weight this season and that's down to him organising us defensively and making us good at set pieces.

He has been around the block and won't be panicking just yet.
So you think Fulham for 3 of 4 halfs and Newcastle doing the double over us is about where we should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.