2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely awful team selection. So bad that I don't know where to start.

1) at least 1 of Keane or Mina have to play for their physical presence and ability to play out from the back. Passing out from the back was abysmal today, especially Holgate. This makes it hard to even play your way into the game as the ball would not stick at all. Even when we have struggled in the past at least when we go back to Keane/Mina we keep the ball fairly well and try to rebuild possession.

2) James Rodriguez can't play with Coleman. Lots of cogs cease to operate when we lineup with this combination. James can't help out defensively enough, in turn Coleman (who already is regressing in quality) gets caught out more and more. This drags Doucoure into helping out down right channel far too much and the midfield crumbles.

3) Not sure why we had so many central type players on the pitch tonight. Gomes, Siggurdson, Davies, James, Doucoure. No width whatsoever. We was destroyed down the wings all game.

We would have been better off sticking with Holgate and Godfrey RB and LB and pushing Digne up wide and Iwobi on the right or sub on for James.

Richarlison's movement all game was cack. Not once made a decent spin to try get behind. Ball to feet game doesn't suit him at all so don't know why he was playing like that.

I think Carlo wanted to rotate and manage the squad tonight far too much thinking about number of games we have to play. Can't think of any other reason he would drop both Mina and Keane.

I'm proper proper deflated after tonight's game. We always flake when we are gifted opportunities by other teams performing poorly. We never capitalise on it.
Fully agree.

My gut feeling when watching that shambles was that we must not have prepared properly. Underestimating a lower side again, like we did against Newcastle?
It seemed like we had no idea how they would play or what to do to counter it. Letting their CM have acres of space while lack of pace on the wings was what killed us the most and we had Gylfi and James out there. Should have been Richy/King/Iwobi with one of Gylfi, James or Gomes behind them with the usual Davies/Doucoure behind that.
Holgate was nothing short of a disaster and not for the first time this season, and Coleman was having rings ran around him.

Everything about it was wrong.

Last edited:
Still can’t believe he thought dropping both Keane and Mina was a logical choice to make today.

He’s overthought everything and really cocked it all up.

It’s diabolical management and it isn’t the first time this season.

He deserves every bit of criticism right now and these lost home games could cost us Europe.

We had a real chance to progress tonight and he hasn’t took it.

Propa done my head in tonight you know. Such a bizarre season.

It's like being on lockdown has improved our away form to the best it's ever been yet not having fans as goodison has produced without doubt the worst home performances I can remember.

I promised I wouldn't question the don after he made a mug of me but tonight's team and tactics were difficult to understand.

I'm Not having the tired excuse for that shitshow either, sorry Carlo. He tinkered away with the side and still picked quite a few who played lots of minutes Vs spurs?!

You've seen the players all week in training - if they are tired it should show there, and you pick the team and tactics accordingly.

So many better ways of setting us up with the personnel available imo.

Bernard, iwobi, king or even onyango in place of any of the "tired" lads, and a different shape, would have been much better than what we got.

Coleman and holgate should only be options off the bench (or holgate at RB if we're deploying the wall and put Godfrey at lb to move Lucas forward) - Mina and Keane should start every game at cb.

So frustrating - I genuinely felt a top 4 push was there, if they wanted it this season - it's clear they don't want it, the absolute wasters, but Carlo got it wrong tonight.

I really hope , no matter what happens for the remaining games. Carlo starts putting markers down fur next season. Like not picking siggurdsson, Gomes and Coleman for the remainder of this season
To this point Carlo has made most of his decisions with a limited view to the long term. I just don't expect it to change.

hope not Matty

because he deserves better than having fans whinge at him during his first proper season, for not providing flowing expansive football and wins every week whilst trying to wring consistent decent performances out of some of the players he is stuck with

get rid of more crap, and get 2 or 3 in better than we have and 1 baller and then let’s see how we set up each week
;)

Absolutely awful team selection. So bad that I don't know where to start.

1) at least 1 of Keane or Mina have to play for their physical presence and ability to play out from the back. Passing out from the back was abysmal today, especially Holgate. This makes it hard to even play your way into the game as the ball would not stick at all. Even when we have struggled in the past at least when we go back to Keane/Mina we keep the ball fairly well and try to rebuild possession.

2) James Rodriguez can't play with Coleman. Lots of cogs cease to operate when we lineup with this combination. James can't help out defensively enough, in turn Coleman (who already is regressing in quality) gets caught out more and more. This drags Doucoure into helping out down right channel far too much and the midfield crumbles.

3) Not sure why we had so many central type players on the pitch tonight. Gomes, Siggurdson, Davies, James, Doucoure. No width whatsoever. We was destroyed down the wings all game.

We would have been better off sticking with Holgate and Godfrey RB and LB and pushing Digne up wide and Iwobi on the right or sub on for James.

Richarlison's movement all game was cack. Not once made a decent spin to try get behind. Ball to feet game doesn't suit him at all so don't know why he was playing like that.

I think Carlo wanted to rotate and manage the squad tonight far too much thinking about number of games we have to play. Can't think of any other reason he would drop both Mina and Keane.

I'm proper proper deflated after tonight's game. We always flake when we are gifted opportunities by other teams performing poorly. We never capitalise on it.
Every word of this.

No idea why not to start King. His offside goal was the only thing we did all night that looked like good football. King gives Richy someone to work off of. Sig and James up front with Richy, I don’t know how that’s supposed to work snd they seem not to either.

Coleman was getting badly burned by those left side Fulham attackers.

Holgate- for someone who was our best defender for awhile last season he’s just regressed.

no one had any idea how to get the ball forward. As per usual lately Davies was the best but he was trying to fizz these perfect 30 yard passes through to Richy that *almost* came off, when frankly if he had just kept the ball, driven forward, tried something simple we’d have been better off.

Gomes was poor. Douc not much better. With no clear plan of attack it was just so much pinging back and forth at the back line.

Game was crying out for Iwobi. He is limited but the one thing he did consistently in our recent run of good form- get him the ball out wide and he will run forward and ten seconds later he will arrive in the attacking third. Granted his skill re: doing something with it is lacking but that would have been more than anyone else did.

I appreciate the impulse to rest a tired squad,, if that’s what it was, but a short week also means less time to coach, and this newfangled lineup was a mess. Looked like eleven guys who had never met before and that’s on Carlo. And all eleven guys were Schneiderlin.

Fully agree.

My gut feeling when watching that shambles was that we must not have prepared properly. Underestimating a lower side again, like we did against Newcastle?
It seemed like we had no idea how they would play or what to do to counter it. Letting their CM have acres of space while lack of pace on the wings was what killed us the most and we had Gylfi and James out there. Should have been Richy/King/Iwobi with one of Gylfi, James or Gomes behind them with the usual Davies/Doucoure behind that.
Holgate was nothing short of a disaster and not for the first time this season, and Coleman was having rings ran around him.

Everything about it was wrong.
He went back to a system which failed abysmally earlier in the season - I really, really don’t get it

There was just no need. Put Mina in, because Keane has been crap lately, alongside Godfrey. Holgate at RB because we only have him - Coleman can’t start
you build from there, and have a shape - we just had an assortment of central midfielders with no pace or energy, and then Richarlison gets grief for being crap. Yeah, he was crap, but nobody got the ball to him and when he did work back, there was nobody running ahead of him

just awful, awful tactics. I like Parker, but he didn’t even have to do anything special. I am genuinely baffled how a man of Carlo’s experience can have had four days to come up with something and done that. I’m infuriated.

Carlo is the best thing at the club at the moment - in terms of attraction to the club for players, pedigree etc. He’s the one difference maker we really have. But when he’s capable of performances like tonight, then I worry.

There was no need for it, you can’t go making mistakes like that, and if you do, Then you rectify it quickly and decisively.

I really hope , no matter what happens for the remaining games. Carlo starts putting markers down fur next season. Like not picking siggurdsson, Gomes and Coleman for the remainder of this season
Every.Single.Time. anyone has said this he goes and picks those players immediately for the next match.

And there have been a LOT of those kinds of performances this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.