2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading Carlo's autobiography and it's certainly changing my perception of him. It's largely about food so far and pork in particular. His family were pig farmers. This aroused some hurtful jibes from rival supporters in later years.
There's tales of drunken rituals involving his Roma and ACMilan colleagues. Somehow it's hard to connect the cool touchline character with all that.
It's an engrossing read!

Is that the quiet leadership one?
Read a few mixed reviews of it but will give it a go if you reckon it's a good read.

I read both when the rumors were circulating about him looking at the Arsenal and Everton jobs. I was curious why after AC he never stayed long at one club but somehow always found himself with a top job. The books make it obvious. He sides with the players. He's a player's manager. None more so obvious than when he took the Napoli's players side over the management publicly. I don't have a problem with that at all - screw the owners.

That's when I knew he was my type of manager. At those top clubs, the owners want control over everything. The manager is an extension of the owners and does their bidding. This is why I think Carlo came to us, he had it with the top clubs and their politics. Sure auto biographies are self serving, but overall, the books line up with existing media stories at the time and make the reasons why he was ousted each time extremely petty. Like Bayern where the players said there wasn't enough training, or PSG where Leonardo wanted to get rid of him, or Chelsea where 2nd wasn't good enough the following season after winning the title. Why did the owners really get rid of him though? Imo the owners wanted more out of their players and Carlo wouldn't have it. Look at all the managers Chelsea have hired under Abramovich, more often than not they've been ass holes - and if they're not he gets rid. Even though Carlo could probably rant as good as any of them, he's probably a nice guy underneath (imo).

As for Carlo's management style, he's already helped players improve since last year. Much of it has been to find a role for everyone so they have jobs to do on the pitch. It becomes professional everytime they are on the field. Many players had no identity on the field - did anyone really know who Tom Davies was, centre mid sure, but the last 2 months, he's turned into Allan. DCL is Inghazi. Doucoure is an enforcer. Iwobi can help with both attack and defensive duties. In the past if he wasn't helping in attack, his head would drop.

I'd be happy with Simeone.

Not really directed at you perth_blue, but before Silva we had Allardyce. No one was coming to us. Like I get everyone has their 'favourite' manager, but I find it a bit weird when we have a top 10/ possibly top 5 manager in the world and then we'd risk swapping a top 5 manager for another. If Pep/Simeone came to us for example, I don't know if he'd do that much better.

Or maybe people find Carlo boring?

I just love the man ,the way he behaves ,controls the press ,treats the players ,tactics and he loves Merseyside ,without even raising an eyebrow .
I have seen managers come and go ,
more than most and we are truly privileged that he is here and has an affinity for the club ,the last one ( Not Big Dunc or Unsie ) was Howard Kendall and before that Harry Catterick but they were both blues so for Carlo to feel this way is all I could hope for .
With support from the National Bank of Iran we are looking good .
Oh and he is a fantastic manager .

Zidane for me, perfect to take over from Carlo in about 6 or 7 years. We’ll hopefully be a CL team by then and every manager in the world would be interested in taking over a CL premier league team with large financial backing.
The RS still won’t have had there parade

Its all about realism and patience with where we are for me. CL qualification this year was not on anyone's agenda, the fact we are in with an outside chance at this stage is great. Equally though we could easily fail to get even an EL slot given the tightness of top 8 or so.

In summer Carol will add more quality, that is certain for me. Key will be if the incoming add to or replace, Richarlison apparently was persuaded to give it another year here to see if CL could be achieved so there must be a risk he will agitate this summer. I look at those who are around us outside of the traditional and honestly don't see Leicester, West ham, villa sustaining and growing - this is their high watermark year. We could and should sustain and grow though, next year should be better than this given the finance, infrastructure and stage of squad development. I would expect us to be the undisputed intruder to the traditional names at the top next year, whereas this year we are one of 3 or 4 who might just squeeze into the CL/EL reckoning.
Richy might stay as we are heading in the right direction not to mention who might join in the summer.
The lure of CL if we don’t get it might be a draw for him but with Covid, not many teams will have the money for him, also he’s not the number 1 must have player.
Haaland/Kane/Sancho

I read both when the rumors were circulating about him looking at the Arsenal and Everton jobs. I was curious why after AC he never stayed long at one club but somehow always found himself with a top job. The books make it obvious. He sides with the players. He's a player's manager. None more so obvious than when he took the Napoli's players side over the management publicly. I don't have a problem with that at all - screw the owners.

That's when I knew he was my type of manager. At those top clubs, the owners want control over everything. The manager is an extension of the owners and does their bidding. This is why I think Carlo came to us, he had it with the top clubs and their politics. Sure auto biographies are self serving, but overall, the books line up with existing media stories at the time and make the reasons why he was ousted each time extremely petty. Like Bayern where the players said there wasn't enough training, or PSG where Leonardo wanted to get rid of him, or Chelsea where 2nd wasn't good enough the following season after winning the title. Why did the owners really get rid of him though? Imo the owners wanted more out of their players and Carlo wouldn't have it. Look at all the managers Chelsea have hired under Abramovich, more often than not they've been ass holes - and if they're not he gets rid. Even though Carlo could probably rant as good as any of them, he's probably a nice guy underneath (imo).

As for Carlo's management style, he's already helped players improve since last year. Much of it has been to find a role for everyone so they have jobs to do on the pitch. It becomes professional everytime they are on the field. Many players had no identity on the field - did anyone really know who Tom Davies was, centre mid sure, but the last 2 months, he's turned into Allan. DCL is Inghazi. Doucoure is an enforcer. Iwobi can help with both attack and defensive duties. In the past if he wasn't helping in attack, his head would drop.

Basically he is a players manager rather than a club owners manager.

I just love the man ,the way he behaves ,controls the press ,treats the players ,tactics and he loves Merseyside ,without even raising an eyebrow .
I have seen managers come and go ,
more than most and we are truly privileged that he is here and has an affinity for the club ,the last one ( Not Big Dunc or Unsie ) was Howard Kendall and before that Harry Catterick but they were both blues so for Carlo to feel this way is all I could hope for .
With support from the National Bank of Iran we are looking good .
Oh and he is a fantastic manager .
He’s a true pro best of the best imo, yes others have achieved more in recent years but Carlo has been there done it for so long, imo we have the best manager in the world.

Basically he is a players manager rather than a club owners manager.

Which makes me wonder why all the big clubs in England went for recent ex players like Ole, Arteta, Lampard. Obviously lots of pros and cons, but one thing I think these clubs want is to make a managers style less relevant and its more about maximising talent. If you have to get rid of the manager, and you bought all these players that fit a managers style, then you have a problem when the new manager comes in and he wants his own players. With a relatively young manager, they most likely don't have that many requests and just make do with what they have.

Not really directed at you perth_blue, but before Silva we had Allardyce. No one was coming to us. Like I get everyone has their 'favourite' manager, but I find it a bit weird when we have a top 10/ possibly top 5 manager in the world and then we'd risk swapping a top 5 manager for another. If Pep/Simeone came to us for example, I don't know if he'd do that much better.

Or maybe people find Carlo boring?
Fair bump play on.

Just like you touched on, would be nothing more than my opinion, and in no way was I suggesting I'd swap Carlo for him and I know you weren't insinuating that either.
:cheers:

Nice theory. We never really know though, do we? But I'd like to think that Carlo was attracted to Goodison by what he took to be the genuine desire and enthusiasm of the owners compared to the interfering nutters he dealt with in the past e.g. Berlusconi.

Fair bump play on.

Just like you touched on, would be nothing more than my opinion, and in no way was I suggesting I'd swap Carlo for him and I know you weren't insinuating that either.
:cheers:

yeah def.. it was just a general comment, there were some shouts after the Fulham game doubting Carlo, and I don’t have problems with people questioning or complaining about the manager but I don’t really see any managers out there that would be a legit upgrade. Carlo to pep would be more like a side grade. Marc Silva to pep would be an upgrade

Also as a fellow Aussie, love seeing Aussie blues here.

Nice theory. We never really know though, do we? But I'd like to think that Carlo was attracted to Goodison by what he took to be the genuine desire and enthusiasm of the owners compared to the interfering nutters he dealt with in the past e.g. Berlusconi.

yep... he’s been meaning to stay long term everywhere he went, but hes always got the sack ahead of schedule, most of the time it wasn’t the results.

Also I find it interesting no one really batted an eyelid at Arsenal going with a first time younger manager vs Carlo. Like why?

yep... he’s been meaning to stay long term everywhere he went, but hes always got the sack ahead of schedule, most of the time it wasn’t the results.

Also I find it interesting no one really batted an eyelid at Arsenal going with a first time younger manager vs Carlo. Like why?

Who's to say it was in their control? I dont think managers are fighting each other for the arsenal job tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.