2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that that is the totality of Gomes' role you need to look again.

He is vital to the way the midfield performs even if you don't appreciate it.

He doesnt create chances

He doesn't pass forward

He doesn't tackle

He hasn't the pace to track runners

He's a complete passenger - the perfect English international midfielder of recent years - sideways and back "keeping possession and doing nothing with it".

He doesnt create chances

He doesn't pass forward

He doesn't tackle

He's a complete passenger - the perfect English international midfielder of recent years - sideways and back "keeping possession and doing nothing with it".

I'm not going to argue the defensive aspect of your criticism.

But on offense, the things you are criticizing him of doing are literally his job.

Not to oversimplify it, but his job is to provide an outlet to the CBs and Allan and pass it to Digne and Richy on the left and James and Decoure on the right. He also provides an outlet to those same players. Pretty much, he just sprays it around and helps maintain possession. That is his job and a vital one.

He won't score or assist much but neither do most players in his position in this formation. Toni Kroos being a good example and no I'm not comparing their quality, but their role.

In the 4213 formation that you suggested, the 2 wingers better track back to provide relief from pressure and you also sacrifice Decoure from being a true box to box. He will have to stay in the midfield for the most part.

I'm not going to argue the defensive aspect of your criticism.

But on offense, the things you are criticizing him of doing are literally his job.

Not to oversimplify it, but his job is to provide an outlet to the CBs and Allan and pass it to Digne and Richy on the left and James and Decoure on the right. He also provides an outlet to those same players. Pretty much, he just sprays it around and helps maintain possession. That is his job and a vital one.

He won't score or assist much but neither do most players in his position in this formation. Toni Kroos being a good example and no I'm not comparing their quality, but their role.

In the 4213 formation that you suggested, the 2 wingers better track back to provide relief from pressure and you also sacrifice Decoure from being a true box to box. He will have to stay in the midfield for the most part.

I just never buy that "keeping possession" is a skill set - as a professional footballer thats the bare minimum that he should be doing.

I get that he links defence to attack - but for me we could easily find players who can do that whilst also having pace / able to put in a tackle or create chances with defence splitting passes.

He doesnt create chances

He doesn't pass forward

He doesn't tackle

Then why is Carlo playing him?

Then why is Carlo playing him?
The obvious response is that we have no one else but the reality is we go, we have Sigurdsson, Bernard and Iwobi who could all slot into that left sided CM role with more license to getting forward. But Carlo persists with Gomes because he keeps things ticking over, is smart on the ball, can receive under pressure and looks for the through ball and has a good understanding with Digne on the left. If you look at JAmes’s goal last week Gomes very cleverly blocks a man out of Richarlison’s path, very intelligent play.

We keep talking about a RW

But I don't think that's the way to go. Gomes, like it or not, has an important role in our current set up. You can't play a real 433 with James in the midfield and 2 real wingers. He is not the best at defending and you are pushing him away from goal where he is at his best.

What we need is a RB that can attack as well and a CB.
We need a keeper.

I just never buy that "keeping possession" is a skill set - as a professional footballer thats the bare minimum that he should be doing.

I get that he links defence to attack - but for me we could easily find players who can do that whilst also having pace / able to put in a tackle or create chances with defence splitting passes.
He's there to keep the ball moving and to transition the play, you're the only one who can't see what it's brining to the team. he's always been this kind of player. Once he's back upto speed with his fitness he'll be even better but he's been absolutely fine these first games.

Let Carlo manage this mate. Else you're going to end up looking just as dim as you did with your campaign against DCL

He's there to keep the ball moving and to transition the play, you're the only one who can't see what it's brining to the team. he's always been this kind of player. Once he's back upto speed with his fitness he'll be even better but he's been absolutely fine these first games.

I know that's what he does - but thats ALL that he does.

There are tons of players who do that but also can do additional things which would benefit the team thats my point.

He's only in the team as our other options in midfield are rank - I think if money isnt an issue next season / we can avert FFP he'll be one of the first to be upgraded on by the manager imo.

I know that's what he does - but thats ALL that he does.

There are tons of players who do that but also can do additional things which would benefit the team thats my point.

He's only in the team as our other options in midfield are rank - I think if money isnt an issue next season / we can avert FFP he'll be one of the first to be upgraded on by the manager imo.
I know you know he does it, I don't think you understand it though if I'm honest.

It’s like asking what did Seedorf do in that Milan team apart from keep it ticking over and not lose possession. Carlo was playing Gomes on one leg last season ahead of all other options. He’s the only midfielder to retain his place this season. He ain’t going anywhere.

It’s like asking what did Seedorf do in that Milan team apart from keep it ticking over and not lose possession. Carlo was playing Gomes on one leg last season ahead of all other options. He’s the only midfielder to retain his place this season. He ain’t going anywhere.

Dribbling + Tackling + pace are the attributes which Seedorf had in addition to being a great passer though.

He had Sigurdssons fitness
Bernards dribbling
Gomes' passing
Iwobis link play

Then add in tackling and pace...

Id say they were very different players myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.