2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Evertonian in me is worries that he'll see yet another inept summer of not addressing the obvious issues in the squad and he'll walk.

Can't see him sticking around and letting Everton tarnish his legacy.
If he gives up, the impression that he is a luxury manager will be confirmed. If he does not succeed, the same impression will be confirmed. This is a risky project for CA, and he can only win by achieving success.

I struggle to understand why he would take on this project at all. The only plausible reason is that he wants to disprove the skeptics, and build something completely his own - something he has rarely done in his career. There are many other places he could go if he was just looking for a last paycheck, and with much less pressure.

Since Carlo left Milan in 2009. His managerial tenures haven't exactly been long-lived.

Chelsea (Jul 1, 2009) until (May 22, 2011) sacked after 695 days
Paris SG (Jan 1, 2012) until (Jun 30, 2013) moved after 546 days
Madrid (Jul 1, 2013) until (May 25, 2015) sacked after 693 days
Bayern (Jul 1, 2016) until (Sep 28, 2017) sacked after 454 days
Napoli (Jul 1, 2018) until (Dec 10, 2019) sacked after 527 days

His median stay at a club since he left Milan is 546 days. To put that into perspective Carlo has been here at Everton for 208 days so far. Football doesn't stand still so Carlo needs to start delivering.

Yes, but these were top clubs, and per. Today, Everton are a mediocre English PL club. If he is at the same point average next year, then he will have another season. Assuming we have not bought for huge sums, and the football we play is not too miserable.

He will have done his research about us before taking the job. We are an open book to anyone who cares to delve under the surface for longer than 5 minutes anyway. It isn't difficult to find problems here.

That said, its always possible that he could underestimate the size of the task, but we have no evidence of that so why worry.

The most important thing is that whatever assurances he was given about transfer budgets, structures at the club, and any required changes he would like to implement or have the club deliver, are followed up on.

I don't think he'll tarnish his legacy if he fails at Everton. Not with his record. And its easy to paint us as a problem club now unfortunately, that nobody could fix.

There is no pressure on him apart from the expectations of Evertonians.

After his career, and at his age, it actually seems like a very interesting challenge, to take a club like Everton on, and see if he can re-mould it piece by piece, season by season, in the way he clearly thinks he can, in accepting the job.

He could have easily stayed out of football for 6-12 months, or longer, and taken on any number of jobs, at club level or internationally. He chose Everton.

He will have done his research about us before taking the job. We are an open book to anyone who cares to delve under the surface for longer than 5 minutes anyway. It isn't difficult to find problems here.

That said, its always possible that he could underestimate the size of the task, but we have no evidence of that so why worry.

The most important thing is that whatever assurances he was given about transfer budgets, structures at the club, and any required changes he would like to implement or have someone else deliver, are followed up on.

I don't think he'll tarnish his legacy if he fails at Everton. Not with his record. And its easy to paint us as a problem club now unfortunately, that nobody could fix.

After his career, and at his age, it actually seems like a very interesting challenge, to take a club like Everton on, and see if he can re-mould it piece by piece, season by season, in the way he clearly thinks he can, in accepting the job.

He could have easily stayed out of football for 6-12 months, or longer, and taken on any number of jobs, at club level or internationally. He chose Everton.
I agree

Except he came here for the wages not the glory. Make no mistake that his salary was a big factor in wanting to attempt to achieve something here.

He needs a window to get some players. Fair enough. But I don’t think I’ve seen four games as bad as the last four. I’ve no idea what he’s trying to do, what’s happening on the training pitch. There’s zero ideas or spark. And tbh there is very little effort. It’s worrying and I’m only saying what others are thinking. These players right now are not responding to Ancelotti.

I agree

Except he came here for the wages not the glory. Make no mistake that his salary was a big factor in wanting to attempt to achieve something here.

Yes I agree, he didn't take the job as an act of charity towards us. But I'd imagine he is very comfortably off, so that money would only be one of the factors involved. I'd imagine that he would have easy options all over the world for a kings ransom in China, the Middle East etc.

He knows he will have to get stuck in here, in a way that would not have been necessary at any of the super clubs. Considering he also had to uproot his wife to come here, and obviously brought his son with him, we just need to let him get down to the real nitty gritty of the job now, and hopefully see some sustainable and progressive improvement.

Yes I agree, he didn't take the job as an act of charity towards us. But I'd imagine he is very comfortably off, so that money would only be one of the factors involved. I'd imagine that he would have easy options all over the world for a kings ransom in China, the Middle East etc.

He knows he will have to get stuck in here, in a way that would not have been necessary at any of the super clubs. Considering he also had to uproot his wife to come here, and obviously brought his son with him, we just need to let him get down to the real nitty gritty of the job now, and hopefully see some sustainable and progressive improvement.
Yeah, he wouldn't take a job he didn't think he could do , money or no money.

Friend of mine has a theory that it involves teaching his son the ways of management. Could well be the case for all we know , succeeding in a difficult job and showing him how to manage a football club

The most important thing is that whatever assurances he was given about transfer budgets, structures at the club, and any required changes he would like to implement or have the club deliver, are followed up on.

Well, you should not dig deep until you find out that Ancelotti is considered a coach who is good with world class players, and who gives you immediate success when these conditions are in place. But who have difficulty developing teams, and maintaining success.

He is considered tactically outdated, and the same goes for his training methods. The Bayern players held their own training sessions behind the back of Ancelotti, and considered him tactically outdated. Berlusconi bought a whole bunch of offensive world-class players to force him to play more offensive football. He was constantly criticized for his football style. In Madrid, the supporters slept in the stands - even though they won many matches. The same thing happened in Naples.

So if he fails here, this impression will only consolidate.

Well, you should not dig deep until you find out that Ancelotti is considered a coach who is good with world class players, and who gives you immediate success when these conditions are in place. But who have difficulty developing teams, and maintaining success.

He is considered tactically outdated, and the same goes for his training methods. The Bayern players held their own training sessions behind the back of Ancelotti, and considered him tactically outdated. Berlusconi bought a whole bunch of offensive world-class players to force him to play more offensive football. He was constantly criticized for his football style. In Madrid, the supporters slept in the stands - even though they won many matches. The same thing happened in Naples.

Given Bayern's approach to hiring former managers and their generally coasting of the German league, their revolt means nothing.

They weren't happy a manager tried to make them do things they didn't want to do. Same as Chelsea , same as real.

He did win them trophies despite them despising his methods. And Bayern have sacked managers less qualified than him in the last 10 years alone.

Disagree with this "tactically outdated" thing. Football is still the same game with a team of 11.

Any system done well can win football matches.

Given Bayern's approach to hiring former managers and their generally coasting of the German league, their revolt means nothing.

They weren't happy a manager tried to make them do things they didn't want to do. Same as Chelsea , same as real.

He did win them trophies despite them despising his methods. And Bayern have sacked managers less qualified than him in the last 10 years alone.

They had had Heynecks and Guerdiola before Ancelott. It was a pretty high standard, and Ancelotti could not live up to it. Both Heyneck and Guerdiola introduced their distinctive style of play, which not only made them win almost every match, but did so by playing offensive and entertaining football. The players also got better. Both of these have left deep traces.

For big clubs, winning the league is not enough, but you have to do it in a special way. It is no honor to win the league for a club that has 3-4 times the salary budget of the nearest rivals by playing Sean Dyche football.

If he gives up, the impression that he is a luxury manager will be confirmed. If he does not succeed, the same impression will be confirmed. This is a risky project for CA, and he can only win by achieving success.

I struggle to understand why he would take on this project at all. The only plausible reason is that he wants to disprove the skeptics, and build something completely his own - something he has rarely done in his career. There are many other places he could go if he was just looking for a last paycheck, and with much less pressure.

he won a double with Chelsea and was fired the season after. He won the CL with Madrid that they had craved for so long and was fired the season after. He won the league with Bayern but was fired because he didn’t land the CL. He was out at Napoli because it didn’t turn around immediately. He could win the FA cup with us and we’d probably build him a statue. He knows he’ll get time with us and if he starts winking he could build a team long term. If he goes to the top club circuit he knows that regardless of why he does he’ll be out within a season or two.

They had had Heynecks and Guerdiola before Ancelott. It was a pretty high standard, and Ancelotti could not live up to it. Both Heyneck and Guerdiola introduced their distinctive style of play, which not only made them win almost every match, but did so by playing offensive and entertaining football. The players also got better. Both of these have left deep traces.

For big clubs, winning the league is not enough, but you have to do it in a special way. It is no honor to win the league for a club that has 3-4 times the salary budget of the nearest rivals by playing Sean Dyche football.
I agree, there is a way of doing things at the clubs as we learn year on year.

Ancelotti did win the league though there making him as successful as anyone else they hired.

The thing that I find funny is when managers like ancelotti and Jose are written off as being old fashioned yet they still succeed. Jose won United trophies despite being past it. Has won the league twice with Chelsea , won trophies at real, inter , Porto etc yet he is past it. Ancelotti has won something everywhere he goes bar Napoli recently. If past it still wins trophies then what do people expect a top manager to do?

In my opinion there shouldn't be any question about Carlo here. If he fails then it's not him but the players who have failed every other manager before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.