2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree with this. It's one or the other.

I'm happy with Mina and Holgate. They've looked very assured together.

Yup. Holgate brings the pace, Mina brings the physicality.

It's not perfect, time will tell whether Holgate can really keep up a top level, but for the moment it is has been much better. Holgate reads the game well and doesn't panic on the ball, my biggest worry is his strength. He isn't intimidating.

It's not perfect, time will tell whether Holgate can really keep up a top level, but for the moment it is has been much better. Holgate reads the game well and doesn't panic on the ball, my biggest worry is his strength. He isn't intimidating.

Holgate is the only player in the team who has some proper snide in him, so I`d say the intimidating bit is incorrect.

He`ll happily front anyone.

The strength can be built up, but the not the snide.

Holgate is the only player in the team who has some proper snide in him, so I`d say the intimidating bit is incorrect.

Snide is different to intimidating though. Richarlison has a bit of snide in him.

Perhaps 'Imposing' is a better word. I like CB's to be tall and powerful, Holgate is neither.

You are wrong if you interpret Carlo talking about a club's DNA as a way of playing or style of play.

If you read his book he means values that underpin the organisation . He means respect , hard work and professionalism. He want everyone to feel that they belong in the family.

He is entirely pragmatic when it comes to a playing style. He just wants to win.
Yeah I read Carlo’s book, you’ve misinterpreted me, I was talking about other managers coming in refusing to be adaptable, much like Silva and Martinez

My brother is a Kopite - when we last saw each other he was raving about how well Ancelotti is doing with this team. Said ‘Imagine what he could do with his own team’. I’ve seen too many false dawns to let myself get carried away, but I want to believe that for once we’re onto something good.

I think Stones + Holgate would be fantastic together...
In what way is Stones not average?
They would get absolutely bullied physically.
was about to post the same
Have to agree with this. It's one or the other.

I'm happy with Mina and Holgate. They've looked very assured together.

Snide is different to intimidating though. Richarlison has a bit of snide in him.

Perhaps 'Imposing' is a better word. I like CB's to be tall and powerful, Holgate is neither.

Holgate and Stones i think would be the leagues best 'attacking' centre back pairing in terms of bringing the ball out and playing it around. Against non-giant forwards i think they would be very effective especially for a team wanting to play on the front foot...set pieces would be a worry though...

Holgate is class, he may not have the size of Keane but his athleticism and ball playing along with his snide make him a top class player. In my opinion hes the closest to an 'Italian mentality' defence-wise as we have.

Mina is a brute. In this league you need a massive monster to stop the heathen giant forwards like Andy Carroll.

The rumoured signing of Gabriel would suit a partnership with either of those players and with Gibson coming through we'd have 2 right and 2 left footers all competing in defence.

If we can sign Gabriel then the defence is almost ticked off.

I think if this happens then the biggest challenge for Ancelotti (and brands) will be the midfield quartet.

Just to add, the back 5 doesnt look too far off coming together with a very long term squad;

Pickford / ??? / Virginia
??? / Kenny
Holgate / Mina
??? / Gibson
Digne / ???

If we were to sign Sidibe and Gabriel then for under £50mil we would only need 2 more 'rotation' players and our defence would be 'complete'.

Its going to be interesting to see how Ancelotti goes next season if he can achieve this...whether we play on the front foot with a high line or if we go a bit deeper with the Italian mentality coming in.

Holgate and Stones i think would be the leagues best 'attacking' centre back pairing in terms of bringing the ball out and playing it around. Against non-giant forwards i think they would be very effective especially for a team wanting to play on the front foot...set pieces would be a worry though...

Holgate is class, he may not have the size of Keane but his athleticism and ball playing along with his snide make him a top class player. In my opinion hes the closest to an 'Italian mentality' defence-wise as we have.

Mina is a brute. In this league you need a massive monster to stop the heathen giant forwards like Andy Carroll.

The rumoured signing of Gabriel would suit a partnership with either of those players and with Gibson coming through we'd have 2 right and 2 left footers all competing in defence.

If we can sign Gabriel then the defence is almost ticked off.

I think if this happens then the biggest challenge for Ancelotti (and brands) will be the midfield quartet.
A centre backs first job is to defend. John Stones makes too many basic defensive errors, that is why he isn't first choice at City.

I think Holgate is a more practical defender and has no worries about blazing the ball out of play when it needs to be done.

I think we need to factor in Lewis Gibson as well. He has signed a contract extension, but not a long one and in twelve months time his contract situation will have to be dealt with again.
The way he has immediately slotted into the Fleetwood team and appears to be performing very well from the first moment would tend to show that he is ready for first team football sooner rather than later.
Next season he either needs to get games in the first team or goes on loan to a good championship team to continue his apprenticeship. I think he is gone beyond under 23 football now.

A centre backs first job is to defend. John Stones makes too many basic defensive errors, that is why he isn't first choice at City.

I think Holgate is a more practical defender and has no worries about blazing the ball out of play when it needs to be done.

I think we need to factor in Lewis Gibson as well. He has signed a contract extension, but not a long one and in twelve months time his contract situation will have to be dealt with again.
The way he has immediately slotted into the Fleetwood team and appears to be performing very well from the first moment would tend to show that he is ready for first team football sooner rather than later.
Next season he either needs to get games in the first team or goes on loan to a good championship team to continue his apprenticeship. I think he is gone beyond under 23 football now.

Is he a CB or a LB tho?

I always thought he was a CB but a few years into my footy manager save and he's my first choice LB lol

Build muscle lose speed.His intimidation comes from the number of times he picks the pocket of attackers.

Build muscle lose speed.His intimidation comes from the number of times he picks the pocket of attackers.

Lets not pretend Holgate is the new messiah. I think he has improved vastly and I agree build muscle and lose speed.

Which is why as i said, Him and Stones would be a horrendous partnership. Both too weak.

Lets not pretend Holgate is the new messiah. I think he has improved vastly and I agree build muscle and lose speed.

Which is why as i said, Him and Stones would be a horrendous partnership. Both too weak.
Don't honestly see Holgate as weak (or the new messiah) you don't need to be a grock to be an effective central defender.Stones will never be back here so that's not an issue.As I said what makes you intimidating is taking the ball from attackers on a regular basis,which is what he's starting to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.