2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

“I don’t want that my team has a really clear identity,” Ancelotti explained.

“If you have a really clear identity, then you can play football in only one way.”

A real proper manager who doesn’t have a blinkered, philosophical, one dimensional approach. So refreshing

There are few things I dislike more in football than those up themselves managers spouting about a philosophy and changing the dna of a club!
A real manager can adapt a set up with the same squad for the right occasion.
The only philosophy Carlo is changing is making us winners again and reminding the whole set up what NSNO means!

There are few things I dislike more in football than those up themselves managers spouting about a philosophy and changing the dna of a club!
A real manager can adapt a set up with the same squad for the right occasion.
The only philosophy Carlo is changing is making us winners again and reminding the whole set up what NSNO means!
It pains me to say it, but for me that's a significant part for why that shower across the park have finally become successful: they've become adaptable.

They have adapted over time and in games often have a Plan A, B, C etc., whereas the likes of City often play with one singular ethos; we were rigid under Silva.

Calro is a very successful manager and that is partly due to his adaptability, so if we can approach games in different ways then it can only be a good thing.

As the saying goes, 'Horse for courses'.

It pains me to say it, but for me that's a significant part for why that shower across the park have finally become successful: they've become adaptable.

They have adapted over time and in games often have a Plan A, B, C etc., whereas the likes of City often play with one singular ethos; we were rigid under Silva.

Calro is a very successful manager and that is partly due to his adaptability, so if we can approach games in different ways then it can only be a good thing.

Nothing wrong with having a set style like City.

But imagine some of the games City could have won or drawn this season if they had a plan B, or a more direct option?

Had Dzeko still been there bet a few of those games would turn into a win.

All about adapting. That's why there is no club that has a 'best 11' players. Sometimes different players are more important for different games.

Nothing wrong with having a set style like City.

But imagine some of the games City could have won or drawn this season if they had a plan B, or a more direct option?

Had Dzeko still been there bet a few of those games would turn into a win.

All about adapting. That's why there is no club that has a 'best 11' players. Sometimes different players are more important for different games.
Exactly my point. By an ethos or set style, I mean where a club becomes entrenched in a style and will not vary from it. Look at how we floundered with Silva!

You could even say the same with Martinez, where we had a plan and would simply hammer on regardless of whether it will work or not - it's too much self belief.

"I believe in this so we will stick with it because in the end it will work." In the end is the problem, where the best teams make it work there and then for the results.

I want us to be able to adapt with a Plan B, C or whatever, and making changes depending on the opponent rather than going out with the same rigid tactics.

City are a great example because Pep's tactics, which have previously worked, now seem to be somewhat lacking; still, they adhere to them regardless.

Exactly my point. By an ethos or set style, I mean where a club becomes entrenched in a style and will not vary from it. Look at how we floundered with Silva!

You could even say the same with Martinez, where we had a plan and would simply hammer on regardless of whether it will work or not - it's too much self belief.

"I believe in this so we will stick with it because in the end it will work." In the end is the problem, where the best teams make it work there and then for the results.

I want us to be able to adapt with a Plan B, C or whatever, and making changes depending on the opponent rather than going out with the same rigid tactics.

City are a great example because Pep's tactics, which have previously worked, now seem to be somewhat lacking; still, they adhere to them regardless.

For me its not the tactics with City, its the severe lack of real quality at the back.

But yeah, Martinez and Silva both had the same major fault. A stubbornness to change.

For me its not the tactics with City, its the severe lack of real quality at the back.

But yeah, Martinez and Silva both had the same major fault. A stubbornness to change.
I don't really fully go for this argument. Yes, they've never replaced Komany, who was their real leader at the back and probably in the squad as a whole.

They also had the Laporte injury to deal with, nevertheless they're far from lacking in real quality and should be doing better - especially with the money spent.

For me, they haven't adapted to make sure they can shut up shop at the back and as such have relied on the mantra of 'scoring more', when this hasn't worked.

Better defenders would help and the likes of that shower have people like van Dijk, but their defence should be better than Leicester and Sheffield United.

I want to be seeing Pep making his team solid at the back as a priority, especially with the CL coming up. Is he? Can he?

I suppose it has been reported on here elsewhere but in the media ans referring to quotes Carlo is here to make something of our club and see out his 4.5 years, possibly extending from that.

I don't really fully go for this argument. Yes, they've never replaced Komany, who was their real leader at the back and probably in the squad as a whole.

They also had the Laporte injury to deal with, nevertheless they're far from lacking in real quality and should be doing better - especially with the money spent.

For me, they haven't adapted to make sure they can shut up shop at the back and as such have relied on the mantra of 'scoring more', when this hasn't worked.

Better defenders would help and the likes of that shower have people like van Dijk, but their defence should be better than Leicester and Sheffield United.

I want to be seeing Pep making his team solid at the back as a priority, especially with the CL coming up. Is he? Can he?

where’s the quality in cities defence? Laporte is class but has been injured. Kompany gone.

Otamendi bang average
Stones bang average
Fernandiho having to play CB, doing ok but still not a defender.
Garcia? Kid
Zinchenko bang average
Angelino who has been playing now out on loan again I think?
Kyle Walker? His attacking nature and pace suits City but he’s not a great defender.
Cancelo? Decent but not great.

Defence has been their major issue this season. Even though they don’t play a plan B ever, they’d be a hell of a lot closer to the shower if they had a decent defence.

don’t forget Sheff Utd play as a unit. All we saw from them at goodison was a low block with 11 behind the ball, and they were excellent at it. all comes from then prioritising defending as the key skill to play at the back rather than being comfortable on the ball.

I think you’re correct, though Ancelotti himself once admitted that he wasn’t so adaptable. He claims, he changed his views about the game after his stint at Milan.

Freebie on audible so not really a problem for me. But I know what you mean.

It had enough to let me know he is more or less made for Everton. I'm hoping his leadership arc is as shallow as possible here.

I bought it on paper (and skipped the MBA blert buzzwording the end of every chapter), but if he reads it himself I'm going to get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.