Match Thread Burnley v Everton (Saturday 5 December 12:30)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway...

Pickford - 8 - Not at fault for the goal, it's a sweet strike but entirely down to Keane not pressing. Our defence did it loads in the first half, just gave their players 5 yards. Pathetic.
Godfrey - 7 - Thought he defended really well at both left-back and centre-back. Best he's looked for us.
Mina - 8 - Was really good today. Suited him.
Keane - 7 - Defended very well but gets knocked down for not closing down Brady's shot.
Iwobi - 6 - Looked excellent when he got forward in the first half. Crap in the second. His decision-making is so poor though he did put in one good cross in the 2nd half.
Allan - 6 - He just starts games so slowly but then always grows into them. Was good for our goal.
Doucoure - 5 - So sloppy on the ball but when he started running with it he can be so dangerous. Just doesn't do it enough.
Delph - 3 - NEA
James - 6 - The onus is on him to do everything. The other players can't even think to switch the play. Not his best game but again that pass for Gylfi should have won us it.
Calvert-Lewin - 7 - One chance, one goal. Imagine if we just started creating more chances for him.
Richarlison - 5 - Was poor today but his one moment of quality sets up the goal.

Gylfi - 2 - Hardly touches the ball, then misses that. What's point. Daft sub.
Gomes - 5 - He's so sluggish. Showed he can still hold onto the ball well but some of his passing was crap.
Tosun - n/a - what is the point?

Carlo - 5 - get better

Players aside, because we know overall the squad isn't great and there are players that just arent good enough and need to be moved on, Carlo has got it wrong in pretty much every game since the Derby for me. Whether that be team selection, formation, subs in games.

Don't get me wrong injuries, suspensions dont help and we dont have a right to win every game just because we're better on paper, but for me he has seriously got to have a look at himself because it isn't good enough.

You wouldn't think they worked on that formation all week. Centre halves dont know whether to sit in or go and press, same with the wing backs, Allan and Doucoure struggle to keep the ball and cover the ground in a two, Richarlison and James too narrow and dont seem to help defensively and DCL isolated mostly. Change is shape helped massively but if it werent for the injury I'm not sure if he would have changed it, but credit where its due for not switching like for like and for realising it werent working.

Tough run coming up now, back to basics, put the 3 at the back in the bin and stick to the 433 that has served us well earlier on in the season and trust in the younger players like N'Kounko, Gordon, Kenny (although Iwobi has done well to be fair, last few games out of position). They might not be ready yet but only way they're going to get better or experience is if you play them.

UTFT!!!

We created the chance to win it, but overall there was not enough urgency and hunger to go and win it. It was all too pedestrian and its not good enough. We need the ball played forward quickly to DCL. When we did that, we created 2 clear chances for him but it wasn't enough.

We play like that in the second half of every game

Happy to blame the players but at the same time I do think it's tactical. He wants us to sit deep and play on the break but why? We're crap at it if we've only got one or two players upfield.

If we have the lead I'd understand it more but ffs, it was Burnley and we could have gone fourth. It shouldn't be a trade off.

Yeah fair. I’m trying to stay positive. I agree with @Death much better when everton play last thing on a Sunday. That way you can look forward to the game all weekend and not have your weekend ruined by 2 on a Saturday.
I ha e just woke up from an all mighty session and missed my first Everton match in a decade. And I can confirm waking up to this news is weekend ruining.

CARLO MOTD INTERVIEW

DYCHE MOTD INTERVIEW

Anyway...

Pickford - 8 - Not at fault for the goal, it's a sweet strike but entirely down to Keane not pressing. Our defence did it loads in the first half, just gave their players 5 yards. Pathetic.
Godfrey - 7 - Thought he defended really well at both left-back and centre-back. Best he's looked for us.
Mina - 8 - Was really good today. Suited him.
Keane - 7 - Defended very well but gets knocked down for not closing down Brady's shot.
Iwobi - 6 - Looked excellent when he got forward in the first half. Crap in the second. His decision-making is so poor though he did put in one good cross in the 2nd half.
Allan - 6 - He just starts games so slowly but then always grows into them. Was good for our goal.
Doucoure - 5 - So sloppy on the ball but when he started running with it he can be so dangerous. Just doesn't do it enough.
Delph - 3 - NEA
James - 6 - The onus is on him to do everything. The other players can't even think to switch the play. Not his best game but again that pass for Gylfi should have won us it.
Calvert-Lewin - 7 - One chance, one goal. Imagine if we just started creating more chances for him.
Richarlison - 5 - Was poor today but his one moment of quality sets up the goal.

Gylfi - 2 - Hardly touches the ball, then misses that. What's point. Daft sub.
Gomes - 5 - He's so sluggish. Showed he can still hold onto the ball well but some of his passing was crap.
Tosun - n/a - what is the point?

Carlo - 5 - get better
Agreed this was Godfreys best game for us. Finally showed me something.

Actually thought Andre wasn’t bad today. His final pass was lacking but he kept possession and settled thjngs down generally

and as for James, he can do nothing for large stretches but he’s our only player with that sort of quality to set up Iceland there. Should’ve won the game. Also his strike was excellent and forced a great save

Should have won today. These are now big points dropped each week that will shape our season. By rights we should be 5 points better off after the last 2 but here we are.

My main concern right now is that we are wasting potential top class players on an average season again. We have a top striker , top playmaker , fantastic winger , a great midfielder and a brilliant left back. Half a team that would play for most others , certainly at the top of the league.

We have to stop the rot and start winning. Especially coming into Christmas. More form and we could well be in the top 4 mix given how the season is going.

Always Everton. As soon as we have a chance to get somewhere , we throw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.