Blue Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the name liked at the time.

Why would he sack Moyes? He had us overperforming, even the 17th placed finishes were good enough for the amount Kenwright 'invested'.

Why were we a bit average? Isn't that the board's task to make us not 'average'?

You Kenwright fans make me laugh. You'd defend him over the good of the club. Thank God the fraud's horrid tenure here is nearing an end.

What the hell does that mean? "It was the name liked at the time"? By who? It's just total guesswork.

Plenty of clubs would have sacked Moyes when we finished 17th. Luckily we are not a club who does that.

The boards task is to keep us running. Not every club can be great at the same time can they? The club was in a mess when he took over and it took a hell of a long time to fix. Longer than we would have liked obviously but it could have been much much worse.

The last bit sounds about right. You assume because I don't hate Kenwright that I am a "Kenwright fan". I have said all along he could have done better, I have also said he could have done a lot worse. You say about the good of the club, if we followed your methods we would have been bankrupt years ago. But you seem to want short term success ahead of long term stability. Obviously that is up to you but that does not mean you are right.

What the hell does that mean? "It was the name liked at the time"? By who? It's just total guesswork.

Plenty of clubs would have sacked Moyes when we finished 17th. Luckily we are not a club who does that.

The boards task is to keep us running. Not every club can be great at the same time can they? The club was in a mess when he took over and it took a hell of a long time to fix. Longer than we would have liked obviously but it could have been much much worse.

The last bit sounds about right. You assume because I don't hate Kenwright that I am a "Kenwright fan". I have said all along he could have done better, I have also said he could have done a lot worse. You say about the good of the club, if we followed your methods we would have been bankrupt years ago. But you seem to want short term success ahead of long term stability. Obviously that is up to you but that does not mean you are right.
It was meant to say linked. Megson was the heavy favourite to take the job. Walter Smith recommended Moyes.

How could he sack Moyes? Even if Moyes got us relegated, it would just as much be Kenwright's fault due to his lack of investment.

Everton are a club that should be challenging for every title. Kenwright ensured that we wouldn't. We missed the boat years ago.

He had the money ring-fenced for King's Dock, remember? That would have been the game changer for us. What did he do, though?

The man is a stain on our proud history.

Its not as simple as that though is it? It's not like selling a pair of shoes on Ebay!

I am more pragmatic. I get that we can not get everything we want straight away and it can take time and a lot of effort. I also understand that there are things in the way that will stop that happening.

As I said, I am not saying Kenwright is brilliant or anything but since he took over the club we have never had any relegation struggles like we had previously and have generally been competing for Europe whilst managing our debts and getting out of trouble. Now is finally the time that we may benefit from all that.

I get people thinking he could have done better,of course he could, but the level of hatred some people show to him is utterly bizarre.

We never had any relegation struggles under Kenwright? Really?

He sacked Walter Smith because we were in dire trouble and we'd fought relegation the previous season in 2001 as well.

Also a 4th from bottom finish in 2004 with our lowest ever post-war points total. Not fighting relegation?

I understand his fans want to big him up, however, to say we haven't had 'relegation struggles' with him at the helm simply ain't true.

What do you mean 'there you go'?... the excellent post you quote virtually admits that Kenwright didn't turn the Sheik away...it simply says that the Sheik looked at Everton and (quite correctly) saw more opportunity in City at that time. You are yet another example of fantasy getting in the way of reality when people have an immovable agenda against BK.

Could you point out the part of his post which said that please?

The "we approached Everton and received no encouragement to proceed" is an actual quote from Mansour.

I have sat with him regularly since about 2007 through my work and at that time he had no idea I was an Everton supporter so it would be an odd thing to say.

In addition, he's not friends with Shinawatra. That connection was Sulaiman Al Fahim who was initially touted to be City chairman before they saw sense and appointed the far more measured Kaldoon. (Fahim was a Trump-like character, even had a TV show called "The Arab Apprentice" but has since had a spectacular fall from grace through failed business ventures and ridiculous statements to the media. (If you think back to when Ronaldo was leaving Utd he said: "Ronaldo says he wants to play for the biggest club in the world, let's see if he's serious.")

One thing I will say in Kenwrights defence was MAYBE it wasn't his call, around the same time we had the 'exclusivity deal' with Kirkby and that could have been why "No encouragement" was given? He was even interviewed a few years later and stated "We could have been City if we had a new stadium."

None of the above matters of course, just sharing as it's absolutely first hand.

Roll on next season.

Speaking of Fantasy you backed down incredibly quickly with your line about them being "close buddies"

Its very unlikely that he had the opportunity to rebuff Sheik Mansoor. The Sheik is close buddies with Mr Shiniwatra, the previous Man City owner who had money problems. Its true that The Sheik was looking for 'the right football club' but it was always going to be City because of the personal relationship with Shiniwatra,plus the opportunity to save millions on a stadium and have an area in a major city which the council was not averse to having regenerated materially and culturally. I'm not ITK, but my source is someone I trust implicitly, albeit someone involved with City. The same source is also quite close to BK on a social basis.

Thanks for killing Kings Dock all those years ago with lies about ringfenced Money, Samuelson, Fortress Sportsfund and the "encycliopedic knowledge on football" Russian when Paul and Anita Gregg had the money ready to go. Oh no, you wouldnt release your grubby little fingers off your favourite trainset, would you? You put us 15 years behind the curve with that load of Bull.

Thanks for overseeing all the lies and spin that was Kirkby. Deal of the century, effectivly free, Goodison really wont get a safety certificate in a couple of years.

Thanks for giving Mansour "No Encouragement to proceed" when he approached you 6 months before the city takeover.

Two good things he's done:

Listened to Walter Smith about Moyes when Bill had his heart set in Gary Megson.

Found Moshiri, though I suspect that was dumb luck.

And still people on here find it quite easy to dis miss and forget the lies he told, the money he has made out of Everton
without ever putting anything in to the club after he had bought the club, and even his buying of the majority shares is clouded in how it came about. He is a saint to many Everton fans and that is a mystery to many other fans.

Could you point out the part of his post which said that please?

Speaking of Fantasy you backed down incredibly quickly with your line about them being "close buddies"

I've not 'backed down' at all...I've told you what I was told, and something which was subsequently confirmed by another source. See Wizards post #28 in this thread. You have an agenda Joey, and consequently you will believe only that which suits your agenda. There are arguments that say quite legitimately that BK was far from perfect, but there are a lot of negatives that people spout as truth, when they are nothing more than hearsay,pub rumour, or Chinese whispers. And as for Degsy, castigating BK because he's 'a luvvie'....BK is the toughest negotiator around in his bread and butter mortgage paying job....so the use of the word 'luvvie' as a derogatory term is way off the mark. Thank God that for years, when it was needed, we had someone around who was emotional, and emotionally connected with Everton ....a Johnson or a Gregg would have seen Everton sink without trace. And as for suggesting that BK has not been seriously ill, what an absolutely agenda driven lie that is.
I have only ever spoken to Bill once, and that was at the Playhouse many years ago, a matter of half a dozen words, not about Everton, but I know people who deal with him regularly, and the common feeling is that he's careful with costings/money,sentimental to a point, rewards loyalty(not in a financial sense) and values friendships.
As I've said on forums previously...a former head of operations at One Nation(Theatres etc)once told me that provincial theatre would be virtually dead if it were not for Bill Kenwright(Bills budget versions of top West End and Broadway shows fill theatres everywhere.) That is a measure of the man in his 'day job'

I do think he's come in for some disproportionate stick however some of it he's brought on himself.

I suppose it's a case of should've done better, could've done worse, overall for him since 2000.

I've always maintained history will largely define him dependent on the success of his successor.

He's never hid from needing to find a buyer. Plenty come - some good, most bad...

If Moshiri (and dare I say at a later date, Usmanov... What? What?) really kicks us on, then in time I think most will view Kenwright as someone who steadied the ship, and eventually found someone to take us to the level we want.

And thanks for recovering miracously from that life threatening illness
It occurred just as Roberto was on the brink of destroying our club and it miraculously receded when Mosh came a calling
The man should be given the freedom of the city
Beijing Sydney Sacramento anywhere but Liverpool

Mate, I find that insinuation about Bill Kenwright and his illness being in some way contrived or even phoney to be highly, highly unpalatable.

Whether you like or dislike his tenure as Chairman of the club is one thing, but to insinuate that a serious illness was in any way contrived is quite frankly appalling in my opinion, and I am sure in the opinion of many others.

@GrandOldTeam

In these times of mind-boggling transfers into the club I thought I would like to say a word of thanks to our Chairman. Bill has had a lot of stick off Evertonians during his tenure. Bill himself always said he was waiting for the right investor. Well it was certainly worth the wait! Who could have envisaged BMD and this transfer activity 18 months ago? OK, getting Ron and Walshy might be more down to Mosh than Bill, but who bought Mosh to the club?

So, thank you, Mr Chairman. I for one knew you'd get it right in the end and I see the Mighty Everton soon being right back up there where we belong!

Is this the same great man who was forced to plead with banks "not to kill us" and who thought we were worthy of a £78m flat pack shed in a Knowsley supermarket car park?

He should be thankful he doesn't get lynched every home game.

In these times of mind-boggling transfers into the club I thought I would like to say a word of thanks to our Chairman. Bill has had a lot of stick off Evertonians during his tenure. Bill himself always said he was waiting for the right investor. Well it was certainly worth the wait! Who could have envisaged BMD and this transfer activity 18 months ago? OK, getting Ron and Walshy might be more down to Mosh than Bill, but who bought Mosh to the club?

So, thank you, Mr Chairman. I for one knew you'd get it right in the end and I see the Mighty Everton soon being right back up there where we belong!

Clap Clap Clap

Status
Not open for further replies.