Better than 85-87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the complete opposite. The speed and intensity of a modern team would have the older team sucking air like they're on Mt. Everest by halftime.

I agree and it’s my point really, you can’t compare past and present due to different standards and requirements, I think those flair players like Steven and Sheedy could still survive in the premiership and Southall would still be the best keeper in the premiership whatever year you picked.

94/95 Royle era (we had a massive amount to make up on about 6 points in late November) and 08/09 season are the best Premier League moments.

13/14 was really good in parts.
I think an underperforming Rom against United cost Martinez the FA Cup in his last season. He came very close to achieving something.

I think Roberto in charge of the knockout stages of the Europa League in 07/08 sees us win that. The Fiorentina away was Moyes worst bottle job of all. He went into the away leg with no real gameplan and it sadly cost us. We were the best team in that competition bar none.
Definitley if Lukaku had his scoring boots oin againstUnited in the SF we'd have been through to the final and would have fancied oiur chances against Palace.

Yes, Royle's cup winning season was special, but in terms of PL placement, number of wins and quality of football, 2013/14 is the best PL season.

Weird that there are some people on here who don't think Alan Ball was as good as Pienaar and Barkley. There's an argument that he was better than both!
Pienaar was fantastic but in my lifetime only Peter Reid would get in the same league as Ball from our midfield players.

Ball is probably the greatest midfielder we’ve ever had,
I think Bracewell at his early peak had the passing ability to play alongside Ball, but no one would match him.

Status
Not open for further replies.