Best Players and all round sporting legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
The binman gets my vote (from players I've seen in the flesh). I saw some footage of a double save he made (on one of Everton Tony An's montages, I think). I knew he was good, but I'd forgotten just just how good. Sublime, truly breath-taking.

The man must have been worth 15 points a season.

Of course, there's no-one can come close to Dixie. I love that story about him walking towards Elisha Scott (the rs 'keeper) on a Liverpool street ... Dixie nods towards Scott, who then dives out into the road. lol

Shame a car was'nt coming the other way!! fair enough big nev gets my vote!! always remember him walking out of the half time team talk against leeds(they were 3-0 up at the time an newly promoted ended up 3-2 was at that game) an sat at the post of the old park end. always had his own way!! what a keeper. dont make 'em like that ant more ;)

As a kid all I got at every game was "if that had been Dixie" and all the old fans would nod in agreement but from my own games id say the golden vision ,Roy Vernon and the holy trinity Howard ,Alan and Colin.;)

im probably on my own here but my 3 favourite players are big dunc , kevin sheedy and peter reid.

gary steven and trevor steven get a mention too.

Bang on from the start. Dixie and Big Nev.

Love the story Rats tells at his 'sportsman dinners' about Nev telling the defenders to let strikers have a shot...

"Don't bother tackling them and risk giving away a penalty or a corner, just let em shoot, I'll save it."

And he usually did.

Always remember Big Nev being interviewed after the 95 cup final- and was asked whether he would be celebrating- he just replied- "I'll be going home to the wife, Ive done my celebrating before, thats for the younger lads to enjoy." At the time I thought you miserable [Poor language removed]- go and celebrate with your team mates. But in all honesty that was the arrogance of brilliance- and Nev was simply brilliant.

Always remember Big Nev being interviewed after the 95 cup final- and was asked whether he would be celebrating- he just replied- "I'll be going home to the wife, Ive done my celebrating before, thats for the younger lads to enjoy." At the time I thought you miserable [Poor language removed]- go and celebrate with your team mates. But in all honesty that was the arrogance of brilliance- and Nev was simply brilliant.

Damn right, Nev was a genius who set the level far over the heads of other regular players. He knew it was the end of his Everton days and he was already getting on a bit by then, so he was probably mentally and physically exhausted. Lets not forget this club wouldnt have won the 95 cup final without him and probably not a few in the '80s too. Southall=Genius.

Obviously a certain Mr William Ralph Dean (as has been mentioned a few times). And Big Nev is quite rightly up there too.

But I have to mention BOB LATCHFORD. Our 3rd highest goal scorer and with a better 'strike rate' than Sharpy.

And I dont remember him but Alex Young prob deserves a mention.

I'll not let this thread go by without mentioning Alan Ball (yes, I know he was mentioned with Kendall & Harvey). Taking into account has was only here for 5 years before Catterick made his biggest ever mistake by selling him, just imagine his stature at the club if we'd had him the next 5 years as well.

There are so many for so many different reasons. For goals, has to be Dixie, Latch, Sharpy, for all round ability and passion has to be Bally, The Golden dream, The Binman, The holy trinity, Ratts etc. But for me 2 names lead the way,

Colin Harvey for services to the club and his blue heart,

And the Ultimate Evertonian "Mr Brian Labone", Evertonian, Gentleman, Captain Incredible, and an all round hero for Everton from the floodlights to the foundations. He lived and died for the club and never was employed by anyone but us since he first kicked a ball for us.

All Toffee generations with the ability to learn should take time to get to know these 2 men. They epitomise what an Evertonian is all about. But that is just my opinion.

There are so many for so many different reasons. For goals, has to be Dixie, Latch, Sharpy, for all round ability and passion has to be Bally, The Golden dream, The Binman, The holy trinity, Ratts etc. But for me 2 names lead the way,

And the Ultimate Evertonian "Mr Brian Labone", Evertonian, Gentleman, Captain Incredible, and an all round hero for Everton from the floodlights to the foundations. He lived and died for the club and never was employed by anyone but us since he first kicked a ball for us.

All Toffee generations with the ability to learn should take time to get to know these 2 men. They epitomise what an Evertonian is all about. But that is just my opinion.

Golden Vision?

This is not a thread really where you can pick the best, it is all relative to the period in which fans have seen players. For example, Dixie has been mentioned and rightly so but if my father was alive he would also mention Tommy Lawton and T G Jones not to also mention another "Young" who played in year between the wars. When I did a lot of my watching, yes there was Labone, but Gordon West was pretty good as was Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Parker, Ray Wilson, Roy Vernon. One could go on and on. There have been so many great players to highlight any as the best is an impossible task.

Great call, Gaz. Never a truer Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.