2020/21 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know I still think plenty of really brilliant players play football brilliantly. I don't know who exactly you're thinking of when you say maverick but I feel like most past players have a pretty reasonable modern comparison.
I suppose you would call them true number 10's in the modern sense, in an old sense, the guy you give the ball to to get the crowd excited, that's a maverick, the ones who try stuff others won't. The ones who can provide individual brilliance. Of course it still happens but tactics for the team take precedent in the modern game.

I suppose you would call them true number 10's in the modern sense, in an old sense, the guy you give the ball to to get the crowd excited, that's a maverick, the ones who try stuff others won't. The ones who can provide individual brilliance. Of course it still happens but tactics for the team take precedent in the modern game.
Yeah I get what you mean. In a lot of senses those players have been moved to the wing which means even at their best they can't light it up like an old #10 might of. I kind of agree with you though as sometimes games are too tactical and just turn into complete snoozers.

Yeah I get what you mean. In a lot of senses those players have been moved to the wing which means even at their best they can't light it up like an old #10 might of. I kind of agree with you though as sometimes games are too tactical and just turn into complete snoozers.
Interesting point as when I was younger wingers and tens were all the playmakers, traditional wingers have become fewer as well, it's gone in a cycle, wings to ten back to the wings but as inside forwards not wingers. Haha christ battering my own head here. Tactics have stifled the blood and thunder of the game, along with numerous rule changes.

Interesting point as when I was younger wingers and tens were all the playmakers, traditional wingers have become fewer as well, it's gone in a cycle, wings to ten back to the wings but as inside forwards not wingers. Haha christ battering my own head here. Tactics have stifled the blood and thunder of the game, along with numerous rule changes.
haha

Seriously man, have you been actually watching the same Everton over the last 3 odd seasons when he played as I have? he is rubbish, the press refer to 'Brazilian' Bernard as if he plays for Brazil - he has 14 caps according to Wikipedia the last in 2014.

The only thing more annoying than watching the likes of Bernard, Iwobi, Sigs, Davies and Delph is supporters oblivious to how terrible they are.

If I was manager they would all be long gone out of the club and wage book

Yeah I watched. He was IMO one of the few players last season who I actually rated. I'm not alone in doing so either.

I don't think a player would even have the goal Bernie scored against Man U (or nearly scored against Newcastle) in his locker if he was indeed terrible, but you have no doubt already dissmissed his contributions as mere flukes.

At the end of the day I have my opinion and you have yours mate. There may well indeed be better alternatives out there, but in this team and after that first half against newcastle I'd seriously question where creativity is going to come from going forward if a player like Bernie is dropped.

Most on here were saying DCL needed binning just a few months ago, so I'd take everyones opinion (including my own) with a very large pinch of salt! It's very easy to say if I were the manager I'd sack the lot and bring in better players, but in the real world the manager has to work with what he actually has!

Seriously man, have you been actually watching the same Everton over the last 3 odd seasons when he played as I have? he is rubbish, the press refer to 'Brazilian' Bernard as if he plays for Brazil - he has 14 caps according to Wikipedia the last in 2014.

The only thing more annoying than watching the likes of Bernard, Iwobi, Sigs, Davies and Delph is supporters oblivious to how terrible they are.

If I was manager they would all be long gone out of the club and wage book
You don't think they might just refer to him as Brazilian because...well... he's Brazilian, no?

If Bernard were actually an attacking threat or a competent ball winner we would put the lack of physicality to the side and play him anyway but as he isn't either of those things we can't afford it. Unfortunately in most sports athleticism is part of the skill of playing the game so not being up to the required level physically is really just not being good enough.

Bernard is really crap, that's all that matters. His real 'Brazilian' counterpart Neymar is an attacker - ok so one is a multi million superstar but they are both attacking minded players. The difference is Neymar, as annoying as he is - he gets tackles put in, covers a crap load of ground, has the skills and can score and can assist. Bernard can do none of that - well ok maybe 2 assists per season or something dire like that

Finch Farm has world class facilities, Bernard if he got off his ar5e and worked in his physique or had some personal fitness trainer he could do far better. He is a disaster for what we pay him.

Wouldn’t think he’d started and scored in the last game would you.

So you think he is worth almost 7 million in wages ? Either my eyes are playing games on me or I am on the wrong forum here.

Bernard career stats @ Everton

Assists5 >> 1.4Million per assist
Passes1,439
Passes per match22.48
Big Chances Created7
Crosses92

Bernard is really crap, that's all that matters. His real 'Brazilian' counterpart Neymar is an attacker - ok so one is a multi million superstar but they are both attacking minded players. The difference is Neymar, as annoying as he is - he gets tackles put in, covers a crap load of ground, has the skills and can score and can assist. Bernard can do none of that - well ok maybe 2 assists per season or something dire like that

Finch Farm has world class facilities, Bernard if he got off his ar5e and worked in his physique or had some personal fitness trainer he could do far better. He is a disaster for what we pay him.

Yes I would have to agree that Neymar just about edges our Bernie. Pele too!

I wish people would stop moaning about wages. There isn't a footballer on the planet that deserves the sort of wages they get, it's a different world where money is rife so what's the point whinging about it. Not one of us would turn it down either if we were good enough.

I wish people would stop moaning about wages. There isn't a footballer on the planet that deserves the sort of wages they get, it's a different world where money is rife so what's the point whinging about it. Not one of us would turn it down either if we were good enough.

It doesn't mean they can continue to plunder a living at Everton bleeding them dry - its just shoddy management. I was a bit generous it seems in my earlier post, Bernard doesn't even manage a couple of assists a season it seems since he joined.

If Bernard were actually an attacking threat or a competent ball winner we would put the lack of physicality to the side and play him anyway but as he isn't either of those things we can't afford it. Unfortunately in most sports athleticism is part of the skill of playing the game so not being up to the required level physically is really just not being good enough.

Out performed our entire midfield last year which included more assists, goals, dribbles, and even tackles against Iwobi, Siggy, Iwobi, Gomes and playing less games.

So...he's not entirely useless.

Last edited:
Out performed our entire midfield last year which included more assists, goals, dribbles, and even tackles against Iwobi, Siggy, Iwobi, Gomes and playing less games.

So...he's not entirely useless.
Even if that is true, and I'm not sure that it is without checking, being better than absolute crap does not mean you aren't still crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.