2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no doubt he is quality, bordering on genius. But let's try not to burden him with the weight of too much expectation and then turn on him when he has a couple of average games.

I want him here, happy and playing sexy samba footie for a long, long time. He 'excites' me every time he gets the ball. No other Everton player has done that to me for a very long time.

I know it is a bit “when i were a lad” but time was every team in the top foight had a winger who could dribble with th ball. They all died off when pace became the be all and end all. To the extent that some top flight wingers (Tony Daley for example) had legs so fast they left their brain behind and the end product was so often disappointing. I am delighted to see an ‘old fashioned’ winger in the team. Insane pace isexciting no doubt, but so is seeing somebody slalom past defenders, and we now have both :)
As you said he doesn’t run by players he slaloms or as I call it he drifts by players
He’s there one second and the next he’s gone
His ability to stand there with the ball at his feet and look up and wait for the right option is something I haven’t seen in an Everton shirt in a long time

..I wonder if Sigurdsson’s recent upturn in form is in part due to this bloke. Sometimes players just gel and compliment each other and those two seem to link well.

He does the stuff that Siggy can’t do, so should take the pressure off him a bit and allow him to play his natural game. I’d actually like to see them both play in the middle ahead of a single defensive midfielder, in home games at least.

Does he have a release clause? Thought i read something about him being adament about a 45mill clause or something when signing for us, but I dont know if its true or just wumming.
If he has a 45mill release clause, he’s either staying because he loves it here or he’s going come january or the summer. No chance in hell CL teams wont cough up 45mill for him now that he’s proving himself in the prem. Seems a player any top team could use, tbh. Havent seen him against big teams yet, but he did well against City in the CL, so I bet that wont be an issue.
If he stays, him, Richarlison and Gylfi will for sure help us improve our recent league positions. Give them a top striker to play with, and we have a leathal front line.

Im getting overly exited, i think.

Mad having 3 maybe 4 wingers who can actually do the job a winger is meant to do.

Never experienced that for us, usually have a low cart horse like Osman shifted out there.

He does the stuff that Siggy can’t do, so should take the pressure off him a bit and allow him to play his natural game. I’d actually like to see them both play in the middle ahead of a single defensive midfielder, in home games at least.

..thinking of Sigurdsson’s 2nd goal v Fulham, when Bernard simply held the ball and waited for him to arrive in the box before delivering the perfect pass into his path.

It's like watching a throw back to the best traditions of the nifty out-and-out winger. In this day and age we hype everyone to ridiculous levels, but my favourite football era was late 90s when you still had guys like Waddle, Anderton, Rod Wallace, Giggs, Ginola. I'd even lob in the likes of Nevin, Paul Allen, Strachan, Beardsley etc - who could all change games by being different. Le Tiss I think people admired in a similar vein.

Physiciality is a vital component of the game still but I think fans will always warm to guys who don't appear to be yet another gym-bunny, and who create through timing, touch and guile. He wandered past those lads for the cross and no-one was within yards of him!

Joy to watch. Well done Bernard.
Totally agree, Duncan McKenzie comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.