2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly why stats are a meaningless pile of drivel in football. Zouma got an assist for passing it 5 yards to Sigurdsson.

Some are. Some aren't.

It depends how you present them and how you use them in a discussion.

They're a useful tool either way when looking to prove (or disprove) an opinion of a player. They just shouldn't be used as the be-all-and-end-all.

I thought at the time we signed Bernard this is the type of signing that will bring other quality players of that ilk to the club if he is a success.
Add to him Mina , Richarlson, Digne and Gomes these are the type of signings (or even better) I'm sure Brands will make over the next few windows. Nice to see a propper plan in place.

Proper jobsworths taking that assist off him. It was clearly an assist. Goals scored off rebounds always count as assists for person who hit the first shot. So this makes absolutely no sense.

I think it's a bit like the offside thing, Tim.

If an opposition player deliberately plays at the ball and makes contact, then it's not an assist.

If there's not clear movement towards the ball, then I think it just counts as a deflected pass or whatever.

I'm with you, it's ridiculous, but we all know that it was him who created the goal, so it's all academic really.

I think it's a bit like the offside thing, Tim.

If an opposition player deliberately plays at the ball and makes contact, then it's not an assist.

If there's not clear movement towards the ball, then I think it just counts as a deflected pass or whatever.

I'm with you, it's ridiculous, but we all know that it was him who created the goal, so it's all academic really.

But it still doesn't make sense because like someone said earlier, every goal that the keeper gets a hand to should be given as an own goal by this reasoning. They've made a deliberate attempt to save the ball and made contact, so therefore you can't give it to the striker. I just hate stats tbh.

This is exactly why stats are a meaningless pile of drivel in football. Zouma got an assist for passing it 5 yards to Sigurdsson.
I don't think stats are totally meaningless mate. But neither are they something you should put your shirt on. The truth, like in most things, is somewhere in the middle. Stats provide you with a base from which to start.

I don't think stats are totally meaningless mate. But neither are they something you should put your shirt on. The truth, like in most things, is somewhere in the middle. Stats provide you with a base from which to start.

Goals scored stats are good for measuring the ability of a centre forward. But even that stat can be misleading in certain cases. Looking at the numbers alone you'd think Milivojevic from Palace was a goal threat from midfield because he scored 10, but about 9 of them were penalties and he's a massive crab.

Goals scored stats are good for measuring the ability of a centre forward. But even that stat can be misleading in certain cases. Looking at the numbers alone you'd think Milivojevic from Palace was a goal threat from midfield because he scored 10, but about 9 of them were penalties and he's a massive crab.
I wouldn't argue with that, stats only tell half the story. Your own eyesight tells you the rest. I'm just saying they aren't completely meaningless as you suggested.

I wouldn't argue with that, stats only tell half the story. Your own eyesight tells you the rest. I'm just saying they aren't completely meaningless as you suggested.

I'd say certain stats are meaningless, like distance covered and all the stupid speed stats. Assists is basically redundant now as well if we're taking assists like Bernard's off him.

I'd say certain stats are meaningless, like distance covered and all the stupid speed stats. Assists is basically redundant now as well if we're taking assists like Bernard's off him.
But that's just one example. The vast majority of assists wouldn't be affected by those circumstances. Bernard himself may have another 15 assists this year and the same thing won't happen. His end of season assists would read 16 rather than 17. Who cares.?

Things don't have to be black or white mate. They don't have to be either brilliant or crap. They can, and invariably are, somewhere in-between.

According to stats Klaassen was going to be a revelation when we signed him from Ajax. It didn’t take long for that to be disproved.

On topic: Bernard. What a guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.