2022/23 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has to be a fullback and he has to stay there to develop.

He cannot play CB mostly because he cannot win aerial duels, I think Per Krøldrup was better in the air. It is a shame as he has a terrific physical makeup for a holding CM but I don't think he has enough experience/positional sense, discipline to play that since he has not played in that spot regularly for a long time.

With that being said, he has the pace and strength that no one else on the team possesses. We need his recovery pace and his intensity. Like most of our defenders, he will make a mistake, a lapse in concentration, but it will be less damaging on the wing rather than in middle.
If we are going to play him on the left he should be working 24/7 to be able to play the ball on his left foot with the coaching staff, it really is embarrassing that professional footballers can't improve blatant issues they have and the coaching staff/manager's dont work on it with them

This season was a big one for him and he hasn't delivered. I'd sell him if we can find a buyer. Next season he'll be 26 and no one will think he has potential anymore.

You do remember he broke his leg this season right? He's barely played.

Obviously he hasn't been great but coming back from a broken leg will take a bit of time. Not that we have time...

Right now him being a utility man / more athletic and defensive option at full back will help him find his feet again following a bad injury.

That said, come next season, if he isn't able to nail down a place as part of a CB pair then for his own sake he should be looking to move on.

Really like the guy myself, works hard, loves a tackle and a scrap but just technically may not be good enough to be starting CB in this league.

You do remember he broke his leg this season right? He's barely played.

Obviously he hasn't been great but coming back from a broken leg will take a bit of time. Not that we have time...
I do but we're in a situation where we're discussing trying to convert a 25 year old because he isn't good enough in his main position. Hoping he has a big season next year as a 26 year old removes any potential. At that point he's just not good enough. And broken leg or not, time won't make him good enough.

If we are going to play him on the left he should be working 24/7 to be able to play the ball on his left foot with the coaching staff, it really is embarrassing that professional footballers can't improve blatant issues they have and the coaching staff/manager's dont work on it with them

I’ve always thought this tbh. When I’m appointed as a manager I’m having them exclusively use their ‘wrong foot’ 2 days a week..

See chances missed and scuffed clearances every week because players try to unnaturally hit the ball with their good foot.

It's interesting that a number of managers have wanted to find a place for him in the team. Not sure if it's simply because he has pace and others don't or whether they all see something else in him that means they want him in there, but he has consistently found himself being picked ahead of others by pretty much all the managers he's had.

I’ve always thought this tbh. When I’m appointed as a manager I’m having them exclusively use their ‘wrong foot’ 2 days a week..

See chances missed and scuffed clearances every week because players try to unnaturally hit the ball with their good foot.
He tries to take any ball with the outside of his right foot bit sad to be honest but he's not alone in that aspect of his game , if you looked at Arsenals first goal Sunday player smashed it with his left foot when he created the gap no messing around trying to compensate to his natural foot

Right now him being a utility man / more athletic and defensive option at full back will help him find his feet again following a bad injury.

That said, come next season, if he isn't able to nail down a place as part of a CB pair then for his own sake he should be looking to move on.

Exactly my opinion to. I like his attitude. He's def a player i would want in any Everton team for that.
But. I still see an error in probably every game that leads to conceding a goal. Truth is i think he is on that list of players we have that we'll always be down the wrong end of the table with. My thoughts on him havent really changed since day one. Good attitude but still very norwich city level defending. The team he got relegated in let in about 854 goals.

Typical of a lot of modern players. He's pretty quick and has a good engine but very little footballing ability. It makes sense that his dad was a rugby player. I'm sure he'll be able to do a job in the Championship next season, I just hope it's not for us!

Look for a buyer in the summer. As usual, we paid far too much for him and will be lucky to recoup 50% of that, but £10m wouldn't be too bad a fee. He's not good enough for a team with aspirations of top half Premier League. But let's wait a few months to see if we are still a Premier League side first.

If you watch back, he made some very good clearances in the box on Saturday. I think his positioning is improving. I still think cb is his best position.

Status
Not open for further replies.