2022/23 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally think he should have been told to commit to being a right back years ago. His best chance of being a Premier League player is to be Kyle Walker-lite. You can get away with being limited to simple passes going forwards if the upside is you bail out your team all the time with your ridiculous pace.

Personally think he should have been told to commit to being a right back years ago. His best chance of being a Premier League player is to be Kyle Walker-lite. You can get away with being limited to simple passes going forwards if the upside is you bail out your team all the time with your ridiculous pace.
I could see that happening - I hope that Dyche will figure it out as he has potential but needs to find his place, understand the role and develop into it.

I could see that happening - I hope that Dyche will figure it out as he has potential but needs to find his place, understand the role and develop into it.
25 isn't young for a footballer. If he doesn't understand his trained role by now I'd question his potential. The only reason that people think that he'd be better in a new role is because he's a good athlete but there are lots of good athletes who lack the footballing brain/ability to cut it at the top level. Unfortunately for us, Godfrey seems to be one of those.

25 isn't young for a footballer. If he doesn't understand his trained role by now I'd question his potential. The only reason that people think that he'd be better in a new role is because he's a good athlete but there are lots of good athletes who lack the footballing brain/ability to cut it at the top level. Unfortunately for us, Godfrey seems to be one of those.
Next season will be a big one for him

….as somebody who’s supported him since his arrival, I thought Godfrey was poor last night. His lack of quality in possession is alarming & is in a different stratosphere to the likes of Leighton Baines.

The risk is him giving the ball away upfield and teams springing on us after a ‘turn-over’. LB is a bit of a mess at the moment.
I was pleased when we signed him from Norwich and thought he had great potential to be a great player with Everton but he hasn’t shown that he understands the game properly, he has little positional sense, constantly losing his player, makes very little use of the ball in fact never makes himself available for a pass, unless Dyche and his coaching staff can educate in the arts of defending and using the ball he will be an athlete more than a footballer and Inreally thought he would do much better than he has at Everton.

I was pleased when we signed him from Norwich and thought he had great potential to be a great player with Everton but he hasn’t shown that he understands the game properly, he has little positional sense, constantly losing his player, makes very little use of the ball in fact never makes himself available for a pass, unless Dyche and his coaching staff can educate in the arts of defending and using the ball he will be an athlete more than a footballer and Inreally thought he would do much better than he has at Everton.
I was exactly the same with regards to his signing.
Very disappointed with him now.
Shame really.

He has to be a fullback and he has to stay there to develop.

He cannot play CB mostly because he cannot win aerial duels, I think Per Krøldrup was better in the air. It is a shame as he has a terrific physical makeup for a holding CM but I don't think he has enough experience/positional sense, discipline to play that since he has not played in that spot regularly for a long time.

With that being said, he has the pace and strength that no one else on the team possesses. We need his recovery pace and his intensity. Like most of our defenders, he will make a mistake, a lapse in concentration, but it will be less damaging on the wing rather than in middle.

I think his best way into the team consistently will be at left back and I think everyone knows it. Next season it's all but set that we'll be starting with Patterson, Tarkowski and probably Branthwaite, I don't rate Mykolenko but don't think we'll be paying to replace him so if Godfrey wants to nail down a spot that's basically his only option, unless he somehow transforms back into a defensive midfielder like he was early in his career.

He is in the team to save us in a transition situation. We saw what happened against the RS without him. Hopefully we will recruit a quick fullback in the summer to negate the requirement to play him

Status
Not open for further replies.