2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
If youre playing Godfrey anywhere else it should be in midfield.

He has the power, pace and energy to sit in front of the defence.

But for that to happen, we need 2 new centre backs + Mina to extend.

Midfield might be an option.
He cant be the last line anymore. Or certainly at the moment.

I don’t need to, I remember watching Maldini on multiple occasions at Milan.

But again you’re missing the point massively; he was renowned, along with Baresi of being one of the greatest readers of the game. He was not always sliding in, so stop lying to justify your point. Of course he used to slide tackle, every defender does
You do need to because you’re just lying. His point was that great defenders don’t slide tackle and his ex coach used to bollock him when he did. Like I said all great defenders loved a slide tackle. Maldini certainly did. Stop lying to yourself ??

I've just watched the goals again from yesterday. The first two come from his complete inability to compete for a header. He can't play central defence in this league while he can't win a header. It's truly shambolic defending.
Watch him attack corners, its even worse. He's had at least 4 since last season where Keane/Mina wouldve at least hit target and the balls bounced off him like a bouncy ball. A complete waste of space putting him forward especially given how fast he is covering should we get hit on the counter.
Not getting these shouts for him in midfield either as he's scared in possession.
His only position at the minute i see is a man marking full back.
If he can develop his reading of the game, heading, ability on the ball then he 'might' become a decent CH but right now he's a calamity.

If youre playing Godfrey anywhere else it should be in midfield.

He has the power, pace and energy to sit in front of the defence.

But for that to happen, we need 2 new centre backs + Mina to extend.
Every midfielder at this level (especially if we're hoping to progress) needs to be comfortable on the ball. And Godfrey's extremely poor with it even when he has time. How anyone can think a congested middle of the park will suit him is crazy. Holgate's far more comfortable on the ball, though he's a complete wet blanket.

lol

I love this debate.

"He's a CB" [tanks as a CB]
"He's a RB" (including me) [tanks as a RB]
"...well he's still a CB" [tanks again as a CB]
"....maybe he's a central midfielder"

Let's all just agree he's actually 'kin rubbish and leave him one side.

He's just a low-level footballer unfortunately - one of far too many on our books. Will still make a decent career for himself because of his pace though.

Hopefully he takes criticism from chumps like me on the chin, like he has before, and finds a way to improve.

More than his inability to win a header or his dreadful positioning, it's his decision making that makes him a poor centre back. At least 3 of those goals on Saturday he comes charging out of position to try and win a ball he never had a chance of winning. You can't coach that level of stupidity out of some players.

I suppose why not give him a game in centre mid. The blind chasing of the ball he does might work in his favour in that role. We certainly need his athleticism in there too.

Think there's a reason Carlo seemed to like using him as part of a back 3. He's got gaps in his game our other defenders could cover (and vice versa).

Still really young. He's got time to develop. Last season he got a lot of hype. Now he's having a dip. Need to stick with him.

Liverpool tried Fabinho at centre half turned out to be a disaster. Godfrey fully fit maybe could do a job centre mid with good fooballers around him. But let’s see how it goes. Keane hasn’t been much of a mentor for him

Status
Not open for further replies.