2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just watched the goals again from yesterday. The first two come from his complete inability to compete for a header. He can't play central defence in this league while he can't win a header. It's truly shambolic defending.

Only saw the goals so didn't see that. So that would suggest he needs to work on discipline and mindset in the face of angry Goodison as well? Guess he's not experienced that before - has broken many a man!

My view differs from most on this.

For around 70mins (maybe a bit less) he covered Keanes errors (who was shocking all game bar the Richarlison pass).

If MOTM was given when Gordon went off Id have given it to Gordon with Godfrey 2nd. Every attack that came into the centre was being cleared by Godfrey, thats headers, interceptions etc and otherwise he would run behind Keane in anticipation of a mistake.

I thought he was really, really good.

The goals from corners were caused by this daft zonal marking where Watford put a smaller player on Keane and their bigger players on Godfrey. The ball was going over Keanes head each time where there were two or three around Godfrey all taller and jumping for the ball.

He was out of position for one goal as we were pushing higher up the pitch looking for a goal. He went to the player with the ball to hold him up, which he did and was then out of position when the other defenders and midfielders didnt get back in time...so he left us short.

Another goal he got the ball, brought it to the edge of the box about to clear and Allan ran into him, it popped back in and Keane was stood next to Pickford playing their two players onside.

The overall performance of Godfrey until the Gordon/Richarlison substitution was great...soon after the entire team disintegrated.

It seemed obvious to all that we needed to get Rondon off and bring a centre midfielder on as ranieri had changed the system and we had 2 vs 3 in midfield meaning they were straight onto our defenders....at that point you couldnt tell if Godfrey or Keane were left sided or right sided centre backs...i saw Keane dragged left and Godfrey dragged right several times.

It was a disaster after the 70th odd minute but before that he was our best defender by a mile.

Let me just get this straight, reading some of the guff above.

So after being one of our most consistent defenders/players last season, having a decent impact on the squad and team and being voted our "young" player of the season (even though he isn't a kid anymore?!?) Godfrey is now finished, hasn't got a football brain, needs booting asap as he doesn't have a future at the club?!?

You will find most posters seem to slate Godfrey but like Keane...as they used to slate Mina but like Keane.

Shocked with the slating Keane is getting. For anyone blaming Keane, first watch the richarlison goal and the great assist put in by Keane. Then watch the Watford equaliser where Godfrey totally misses his header. Then watch the goal to go in front for Watford where Godfrey is caught half way in the Watford half of the field in no man's land leaving Keane exposed 2 on 1, what's Keane supposed to do there? Then watch the the 4th goal where Godfrey loses the ball instead of clearing in his own area leading to the goal. Then watch the 5th goal and where is he? A centre back jogging back from no man's land again?

Please someone tell me why Keane is getting any blame? He was left exposed constantly by his teammate who didn't seem to know where to go

So what did Keane do wrong? Please enlighten me? Apart from being left 2 on 1 constantly

Did you watch the match or just the highlights? He made one pass to Richarlison resulting in a goal.

He also made mistake after mistake nearly every time they attacked us and was extremely slow at reacting to anything whatsoever....he had Godfrey covering him countless times.

He was an embarrassment.

A full back that can't attack so overall a championship player then

Full backs under Benitez dont need to attack. They simply need to block crosses.

He doesnt seem to do attacking full backs in this system.

I've just watched the goals again from yesterday. The first two come from his complete inability to compete for a header. He can't play central defence in this league while he can't win a header. It's truly shambolic defending.
I thought the second third were directly on him, the fourth him and a lesser extent Allan. Wasn’t sure if the first was him, couldn’t see who got outjumped The second he got out jumped by a midfielder and third he went charging out of the back line and followed the player to left wing, didn’t win the ball and a little clip over the top left them running at a wide open defence.

The fourth was him and Allan, instead of clearing the ball when it fell to him in the box he ran with it right into Allan and between them coughed up possession right on the edge of the box.

Quite bizarre to see people blaming playing alongside Keane for these errors.

Don’t want to hammer the guy though, it’s all about how he reacts. The areas of his game needing improvement are clear, if can work on them and develop he can be a good player for us.

Did you see were he was on the third, on the halfway line near the dugout, total madness, on the 4th he ball watched and the 5th he was too slow.
The loss isnt on him though, but he isnt a CB.

Did you see were he was on the third, on the halfway line near the dugout, total madness, on the 4th he ball watched and the 5th he was too slow.
The loss isnt on him though, but he isnt a CB.

If youre playing Godfrey anywhere else it should be in midfield.

He has the power, pace and energy to sit in front of the defence.

But for that to happen, we need 2 new centre backs + Mina to extend.

My view differs from most on this.

For around 70mins (maybe a bit less) he covered Keanes errors (who was shocking all game bar the Richarlison pass).

If MOTM was given when Gordon went off Id have given it to Gordon with Godfrey 2nd. Every attack that came into the centre was being cleared by Godfrey, thats headers, interceptions etc and otherwise he would run behind Keane in anticipation of a mistake.

I thought he was really, really good.

The goals from corners were caused by this daft zonal marking where Watford put a smaller player on Keane and their bigger players on Godfrey. The ball was going over Keanes head each time where there were two or three around Godfrey all taller and jumping for the ball.

He was out of position for one goal as we were pushing higher up the pitch looking for a goal. He went to the player with the ball to hold him up, which he did and was then out of position when the other defenders and midfielders didnt get back in time...so he left us short.

Another goal he got the ball, brought it to the edge of the box about to clear and Allan ran into him, it popped back in and Keane was stood next to Pickford playing their two players onside.

The overall performance of Godfrey until the Gordon/Richarlison substitution was great...soon after the entire team disintegrated.

It seemed obvious to all that we needed to get Rondon off and bring a centre midfielder on as ranieri had changed the system and we had 2 vs 3 in midfield meaning they were straight onto our defenders....at that point you couldnt tell if Godfrey or Keane were left sided or right sided centre backs...i saw Keane dragged left and Godfrey dragged right several times.

It was a disaster after the 70th odd minute but before that he was our best defender by a mile.

You will find most posters seem to slate Godfrey but like Keane...as they used to slate Mina but like Keane.

Did you watch the match or just the highlights? He made one pass to Richarlison resulting in a goal.

He also made mistake after mistake nearly every time they attacked us and was extremely slow at reacting to anything whatsoever....he had Godfrey covering him countless times.

He was an embarrassment.

Full backs under Benitez dont need to attack. They simply need to block crosses.

He doesnt seem to do attacking full backs in this system.
Keane is part of the bullet proof gang, with Davies( I know a lot Slate him including me) but considering the inept performances he’s put in over the last 3 years he incredibly still gets support. Coleman is another favourite.

I’d say Keane has cost us more goals than any of the other CB’s over the the last 15months

If youre playing Godfrey anywhere else it should be in midfield.

He has the power, pace and energy to sit in front of the defence.

But for that to happen, we need 2 new centre backs + Mina to extend.
I think there is a player in Godfrey, it's not at CB though.
Thing yesterday it's a waste judging anyone as even the better players were average, it was a total mess.
Best thing to do is forget about it and move onto Wolves and hopfully have Mina back

Keane is part of the bullet proof gang, with Davies( I know a lot Slate him including me) but considering the inept performances he’s put in over the last 3 years he incredibly still gets support. Coleman is another favourite.

I’d say Keane has cost us more goals than any of the other CB’s over the the last 15months

Im eager to see what happens in Jan.

I think i was one of the first to say we need another centre back on top of Godfrey.

The defence lacks direction, confidence and leadership.

Digne and Godfrey have been said to have leadership qualities but Mina is the one who leads by example.

if we have Mina playing with Godfrey plus one more 'leader' like Romagnoli come in then it means we have options and quality.

in addition, theres no point us having attacking full backs like Digne if were just going to use them to stop crosses.

We'll probably morph into Arsenals defence under George Graham under Benitez...pure defenders.

Godfrey would be the Keown i imagine as hes fantastic 1V1.

I think there is a player in Godfrey, it's not at CB though.
Thing yesterday it's a waste judging anyone as even the better players were average, it was a total mess.
Best thing to do is forget about it and move onto Wolves and hopfully have Mina back

Weve got Digne and Coleman wide who arent players that are going to excel when asked to sit back and stop crosses and quick players running at them all game in this defensive setup.

I know you like Keane but hes no leader and hes not going to take us up a level like Mina does.

If Benitez wants to play this way then we need to bring in a new defence.

As above, I could see Godfrey as the Keown type or in front of the defence.

Im eager to see what happens in Jan.

I think i was one of the first to say we need another centre back on top of Godfrey.

The defence lacks direction, confidence and leadership.

Digne and Godfrey have been said to have leadership qualities but Mina is the one who leads by example.

if we have Mina playing with Godfrey plus one more 'leader' like Romagnoli come in then it means we have options and quality.

in addition, theres no point us having attacking full backs like Digne if were just going to use them to stop crosses.

We'll probably morph into Arsenals defence under George Graham under Benitez...pure defenders.

Godfrey would be the Keown i imagine as hes fantastic 1V1.

Weve got Digne and Coleman wide who arent players that are going to excel when asked to sit back and stop crosses and quick players running at them all game in this defensive setup.

I know you like Keane but hes no leader and hes not going to take us up a level like Mina does.

If Benitez wants to play this way then we need to bring in a new defence.

As above, I could see Godfrey as the Keown type or in front of the defence.
Godfrey is still young and Deserves him time, I do agree about getting a partner from Mina, but that would mean trying to shift Holgate & Keane.

We know we have gaps in the team. We haven’t had a quality number 6 for for a while, gana and Allan who have both played the role, aren’t that type of sitting midfielder. We bought Schneiderlin and that failed. So a class number 6 a RB. And Digne has been terrible This season, seems to give free kick away, corners. And isn’t great defensively.

I think if Rafael is given a few years he will sort us out to be a very good side, possibly more defensive/ counter attacking. But if it gets us some success, then that’s good for me.

I feel he knows how to build a team. And we will get the right players. I know people will mention Rondon. Maybe we were trying for someone else and then had to do something tge last day of the window.

He really isn’t bullet proof but the reason, I at least, defend him is that there isn’t any balance in the criticism. I’m not saying he’s no flaws but u make it sound like for the last three years he puts in inept display game after game. Ignoring that he’s also played very well for big chunks of the last two seasons.

I’ve got no idea if he’s made more mistakes leading to goals than others over the last 15 months - it would be close between them all I’d guess. You’re also ignoring that he’s probably made the most tackles, blocks, interceptions, clearances and headers over the last 15/24 months.

If there was more balanced criticism there’s be nothing to defend, you’d probably find everyone would agree.

That’s not what he said. The best centre backs see the danger before it happens and read the threat.
They all could do them obviously but they didn't need to do them regularly. No good defender goes to ground constantly.Exactly. If you constantly have to go to ground last ditch then you have weaknesses in your positional skills. I never saw Maldini having to fly into last ditch challenges. Godfrey has to go to ground so often because he is a poor decision maker and doesn't sense danger early. He's a reactive defender.
Maldini was always slide tackling pal. It was one of his main assets go and watch one of his show reels. Him not slide tackling is an absolute myth. That goes for all the top defenders in the world

He really isn’t bullet proof but the reason, I at least, defend him is that there isn’t any balance in the criticism. I’m not saying he’s no flaws but u make it sound like for the last three years he puts in inept display game after game. Ignoring that he’s also played very well for big chunks of the last two seasons.

I’ve got no idea if he’s made more mistakes leading to goals than others over the last 15 months - it would be close between them all I’d guess. You’re also ignoring that he’s probably made the most tackles, blocks, interceptions, clearances and headers over the last 15/24 months.

If there was more balanced criticism there’s be nothing to defend, you’d probably find everyone would agree.
Davies I was talking about, regarding the 3 seasons. Keane is nearly 29 should be at his peak. We all know his strengths are defending his box, clearing the ball and winning headers.

It’s the rest of his game is poor, gets turned easily, if he gets dragged out of his comfort zone, we are holding our breath. And clever movement and pace, he’s dead.

And has a weak mentality, one mistake and he crumbles for 4/5 games on the bounce

Maldini was always slide tackling pal. It was one of his main assets go and watch one of his show reels. Him not slide tackling is an absolute myth. That goes for all the top defenders in the world
I don’t need to, I remember watching Maldini on multiple occasions at Milan.

But again you’re missing the point massively; he was renowned, along with Baresi of being one of the greatest readers of the game. He was not always sliding in, so stop lying to justify your point. Of course he used to slide tackle, every defender does

Davies I was talking about, regarding the 3 seasons. Keane is nearly 29 should be at his peak. We all know his strengths are defending his box, clearing the ball and winning headers.

It’s the rest of his game is poor, gets turned easily, if he gets dragged out of his comfort zone, we are holding our breath. And clever movement and pace, he’s dead.

And has a weak mentality, one mistake and he crumbles for 4/5 games on the bounce
That’s fine, like I said, if you say that he doesn’t have much pace and can be isolated one on one then no problem, everyone agrees. Would also agree his confidence seems fragile.

If that was the criticism in his thread then you wouldn’t find anyone defending him. Blaming Keane for Godfrey’s deficiencies, instead of just accepting they are just areas Godfrey has to improve and the rubbish written in his thread like “he costs us a goal every game” is the reason people defend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.