2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a shocker yesterday; I think he has many good attributes but he needs a strong CB, leader next to him, when Keane is the senior CB we always struggle. No excuses though, poor yesterday.

Shocked with the slating Keane is getting. For anyone blaming Keane, first watch the richarlison goal and the great assist put in by Keane. Then watch the Watford equaliser where Godfrey totally misses his header. Then watch the goal to go in front for Watford where Godfrey is caught half way in the Watford half of the field in no man's land leaving Keane exposed 2 on 1, what's Keane supposed to do there? Then watch the the 4th goal where Godfrey loses the ball instead of clearing in his own area leading to the goal. Then watch the 5th goal and where is he? A centre back jogging back from no man's land again?

Please someone tell me why Keane is getting any blame? He was left exposed constantly by his teammate who didn't seem to know where to go
He wasnt the major culprit but still he was laughable bad. Digne, Godfrey and Davies were League 2 standard yesterday, and that is an insult to League 2 i'm afraid!

That’s not what he said. The best centre backs see the danger before it happens and read the threat.

Exactly. If you constantly have to go to ground last ditch then you have weaknesses in your positional skills. I never saw Maldini having to fly into last ditch challenges. Godfrey has to go to ground so often because he is a poor decision maker and doesn't sense danger early. He's a reactive defender.

Let me just get this straight, reading some of the guff above.

So after being one of our most consistent defenders/players last season, having a decent impact on the squad and team and being voted our "young" player of the season (even though he isn't a kid anymore?!?) Godfrey is now finished, hasn't got a football brain, needs booting asap as he doesn't have a future at the club?!?
You could change the date to last year and replace the name Godfrey with Holgate

Not having the covid excuse when the lad has the worst positional sense I've ever seen,.don't need to be fully fit to have that.
I'm not having it because he could have been vaccinated and reduced its impact. You can remove the word "positional" from your comment above because in this lad's case it is redundant.

Let me just get this straight, reading some of the guff above.

So after being one of our most consistent defenders/players last season, having a decent impact on the squad and team and being voted our "young" player of the season (even though he isn't a kid anymore?!?) Godfrey is now finished, hasn't got a football brain, needs booting asap as he doesn't have a future at the club?!?
Correct.

I'm not having it because he could have been vaccinated and reduced its impact. You can remove the word "positional" from your comment above because in this lad's case it is redundant.
Stupidity, bet he regrets it now. It’s hard to have sympathy re the COVID thing when he made a conscious choice not to get vaccine. Wonder to what extent senior players like Delph refusing the vaccine and posting on social media about conspiracy theories influences these younger pros decisions. If you want to copy any senior pro surely it’s not Fabian Delph! Hopefully they’ve all got a fright seeing what happened to Godfrey so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.