2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lids want to put a lad who’s saying he’s not yet fully fit into centre midfield ?

Aye, that ends well.
Can't understand that, swapping Holgate around last season virtually ruined his career, Godfrey a better player but last thing he needs is to be swapped to another position again while still not fully fit.

As much as I'd like to see him get an extended run alongside Mina I agree that him stepping into midfield to cover Doucoure is out best option for the next couple of months.
This is the problem with Godfrey, good player but he hasnt got an actual spot.
Everytime someone is missing he steps into that slot, but cant stake a claim for anywhere himself. Utility player, so like Holgate we could see him playing there, however I cant see Rafael trusting him.

Agree that it should be Mina & Keane this Saturday. Fully fit or not, think he needs to be benched for his own sake more than anything.

Swerve the midfield shouts - he's nowhere near good enough on the ball for that.

This is the problem with Godfrey, good player but he hasnt got an actual spot.
Everytime someone is missing he steps into that slot, but cant stake a claim for anywhere himself. Utility player, so like Holgate we could see him playing there, however I cant see Rafael trusting him.
Hmmm

The issue is we've just very rarely had a fully fit team for that to be the case.

Godfrey is a young player who needs time to refine his game. It happens with defenders. He has a lot of raw power and strength and pace that make up for his weaknesses. However, when he was coming back from COVID we saw how important those facets are to his game.

But, the only way he's going to get better is by sticking in one position which is why, for me, we have to use him at CB at every possible opportunity, because he is a CB. It's not really Godfrey who has been unable to stake a claim, it's our crap medical and recruitment department's consistent failings that expose weaknesses in the squad.

So Godfrey is currently our back-up right-back and back-up left-back, and third-choice CB.

It's a ridiculous way of developing a player you've paid a lot of money for and, frankly, just a damning indictment of the people in charge.

But everything at Everton is a damning indictment of those in charge, because they're useless.

So Godfrey is currently our back-up right-back and back-up left-back, and third-choice CB.

It's a ridiculous way of developing a player you've paid a lot of money for and, frankly, just a damning indictment of the people in charge.

But everything at Everton is a damning indictment of those in charge, because they're useless.
Agree on this, problem is right now we have too may players out, in front of the back 4 is a joke, so we cant tinker there unless someone is injured at the back, its not really Ben's fault, its more to do with how bad the squad is. However if its true he hasnt been vaccinated he isnt doing himself any favours, and when he did get a chance to play CB, this past weekend he stunk, so really he only has himself to blame for certain things.
Get fit, work hard, play well and things will fall into place, i think he has the right attitude, but its going to take a while.

Agree on this, problem is right now we have too may players out, in front of the back 4 is a joke, so we cant tinker there unless someone is injured at the back, its not really Ben's fault, its more to do with how bad the squad is. However if its true he hasnt been vaccinated he isnt doing himself any favours, and when he did get a chance to play CB, this past weekend he stunk, so really he only has himself to blame for certain things.
Get fit, work hard, play well and things will fall into place, i think he has the right attitude, but its going to take a while.
Where's this from?

You can have COVID while vaccinated anyway. And you can be just as ill and suffer just as many lasting effects - I can atest to this.

Keep in mind, he's 23. He got COVID in August. There's very little chance he'd have even been able to have had both jabs by the time he got August. And as I know, getting COVID in between the doses isn't fun.

On your points about him playing CB and having stinkers,I agree. But, look who he has been up against in both games. Teams that want to whip crosses into the area, and we know that's a weakness. He needs to improve on it and that'll come through coaching and developing and ultimately playing in that position week in, week out.

Where's this from?

You can have COVID while vaccinated anyway. And you can be just as ill and suffer just as many lasting effects - I can atest to this.

Keep in mind, he's 23. He got COVID in August. There's very little chance he'd have even been able to have had both jabs by the time he got August. And as I know, getting COVID in between the doses isn't fun.
Well thats what the rumor is, do we even know for certain he has had it, has that been confirmed? Either way, maybe we shopuld just stick to what we do know, what we have seen, poor football and not speculate on behind the scenes stuff.

Hmmm

The issue is we've just very rarely had a fully fit team for that to be the case.

Godfrey is a young player who needs time to refine his game. It happens with defenders. He has a lot of raw power and strength and pace that make up for his weaknesses. However, when he was coming back from COVID we saw how important those facets are to his game.

But, the only way he's going to get better is by sticking in one position which is why, for me, we have to use him at CB at every possible opportunity, because he is a CB. It's not really Godfrey who has been unable to stake a claim, it's our crap medical and recruitment department's consistent failings that expose weaknesses in the squad.

and yet you spend so much time criticising the one chap capable of turning this situation around

Well thats what the rumor is, do we even know for certain he has had it, has that been confirmed? Either way, maybe we shopuld just stick to what we do know, what we have seen, poor football and not speculate on behind the scenes stuff.
I don't think there is a rumour at all. Yes, we know he had COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.