2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Godfrey has had covid. His fitness level looks to be improving every week.

Its not like hes suddenly lost his pace is it? Theres a reason for it and the signs point to covid recovery.

Benitez seems to be getting Godfrey (and Rondon) match fit.

Once Godfrey is match fit + Coleman is back then he will be playing centre back.

I dont think Benitez would be daft enough to play Keane at right back, or over Godfrey at centre back.

If you believe Micheal Keane is a good centre back then you must have missed his errors and nerves in every game this season.
I think Keane is OK nothing more but works quite well with Mina.

We need Mina to extend the contract tbh

The games we have played Holgate and Godfrey this year have not been good. Together they are very shaky.

Godfrey has had covid. His fitness level looks to be improving every week.

Its not like hes suddenly lost his pace is it? Theres a reason for it and the signs point to covid recovery.

Benitez seems to be getting Godfrey (and Rondon) match fit.

Once Godfrey is match fit + Coleman is back then he will be playing centre back.

I dont think Benitez would be daft enough to play Keane at right back, or over Godfrey at centre back.

If you believe Micheal Keane is a good centre back then you must have missed his errors and nerves in every game this season.
Michael Keane has been here 4 years now, under 5? different managers, all have deemed him as their first choice.

Yet some fella on the internet who only reads about football claims hes on "oaf" who constantly makes errors.

I think Keane is OK nothing more but works quite well with Mina.

We need Mina to extend the contract tbh

The games we have played Holgate and Godfrey this year have not been good. Together they are very shaky.

Mina's contract seems a real issue.

Godfrey just needs to get his fitness back.

Keane should have been sold a year ago when he was still in England squads.

Michael Keane has been here 4 years now, under 5? different managers, all have deemed him as their first choice.

Yet some fella on the internet who only reads about football claims hes on "oaf" who constantly makes errors.
To be fair 3 of those managers got sacked, one of them came 10th and the other is currently in the role.

Keane is a fairly OK premier league centre back. I think our big problem is most of our centre backs can be described as that.

To be fair 3 of those managers got sacked, one of them came 10th and the other is currently in the role.

Keane is a fairly OK premier league centre back. I think our big problem is most of our centre backs can be described as that.
Ive been saying it for a while now, but the world of football is rammed full of OK Centre Backs.

VVD is considered the best and hes not even an 1/8th of how good the old School Nestas and Cannavaros were, look around the league, its bum city.

Who was the last team that won a Title based on quality CBs? United with Vidic and Rio?

Ive been saying it for a while now, but the world of football is rammed full of OK Centre Backs.

VVD is considered the best and hes not even an 1/8th of how good the old School Nestas and Cannavaros were, look around the league, its bum city.

Who was the last team that won a Title based on quality CBs? United with Vidic and Rio?
Agreed but I would say that Dias and VVD made a big difference to the last two title winners but neither side was built on defence.

I miss a good proper sweeper. Not one of these rubbish modern "good footballer for a centre back types" a proper elegant yet hard as nails sweeper.

Agreed but I would say that Dias and VVD made a big difference to the last two title winners but neither side was built on defence.

I miss a good proper sweeper. Not one of these rubbish modern "good footballer for a centre back types" a proper elegant yet hard as nails sweeper.
You dont win Titles with bad CBs, but loads and loads of clubs have won Titles with OK CBs.

The CB’s these days are miles better with the ball at their feet than most of the classic CB’s to be fair. The game has changed. Top CB’s these days are often asked to start the attack or lead counters.

He isn't good enough going forward to be a full-back. Positional awareness comes with age and experience for a defender. He's a centre-back. He's been having to spend most of his Everton career filling in because his raw attributes of physicality and pace make him versatile, but he needs to be played at centre-back next to Mina or Keane.
I'm not sure I agree to be honest. I'm not sure the ability to the read the game and sense danger comes naturally to all defenders with age - I think it's an instinctive thing.

I'm not sure Godfrey is good enough in the air either, I think both Keane and Mina are better than him at winning headers.

I'm not sure I agree to be honest. I'm not sure the ability to the read the game and sense danger comes naturally to all defenders with age - I think it's an instinctive thing.

I'm not sure Godfrey is good enough in the air either, I think both Keane and Mina are better than him at winning headers.
It depends on the player. Some just have it. Just like some strikers like Lukaku can sniff out goals from the minute they first step on a pitch, and others, like Dom, have to work and work at it.

But generally speaking the more experienced a defender becomes, the more they can learn from their mistakes. Godfrey hasn't played at CB enough for us and that isn't on the player or even really the managers, it's because of failings to not strengthen other positions.

Keane and Mina are better in the air, but neither Keane or Mina allow us to push up the pitch against decent teams and Keane has more than enough errors in him.

We have time with Godfrey, so it can be a slower process, but he ain't a full-back and we're doing ourselves and him no favours by having to play him there. But our recruitment department are hopeless, so we are where we are.

This is utterly true. The art of defending is almost non-existent at the top level, be it in club or international football. It's definitely a gap in the market for a good defensive manager. Our full backs are a case in point. Any attributes they are deemed to possess are invariably in the opposition's half of the field. In the Premier League, you'd go a very long way if you had a George Graham style approach these days. Stop conceding clown show goals and you'd be contending for Europe even if you lacked a cutting edge. I still maintain the 1-0 victory is the sweetest, most efficient of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.