2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he struggled first half but was better second half, chucked a decent cross in.

I think he still needs to work on his positional awareness to be a top centre back but I am happy with him at full back. Hopefully the composure and confidence will come with time.
He isn't good enough going forward to be a full-back. Positional awareness comes with age and experience for a defender. He's a centre-back. He's been having to spend most of his Everton career filling in because his raw attributes of physicality and pace make him versatile, but he needs to be played at centre-back next to Mina or Keane.

Seems clear that hes playing his way back to fitness.

So far this season his pace was probably 30%* of what we had seen season last season.

Today he looked up to about 60%*

*clearly not these % but he definitely looked more athletic today which points to him recovering.

100% a centre back.

Rule of thumb,if @davek says its raining...it isnt.
He has been struggling, 100%

No surprise, COVID can stick around in your system and really weaken you physically. I'm finding it, and I'm not an elite athlete relying on fine margins.

He hasn't been helped by having to play in four different roles since he came into the team, but that's just what we have to do because our recruitment is awful.

Ive heard of people recovering from covid and months later struggle with simple things like stairs. Even if Ben is a fit athlete when covid bites your going to suffer.
I think this is why Rafael cant trust him at CB

He's been played back to fitness. It's tough, very tough. He's clearly not there yet. Personally I thought he could have had a rest today but whether we play him or Holgate at RB, it makes no difference, neither of them are right-backs.

However, they both are better right-backs than Kenny, which just shows how poor Kenny is. And again, shows up how crap our recruitment is.

One of Godfrey's best games for Everton came at Elland Road last season, when he played next to Mina, as a CB. Weirdly, it's the only time he and Mina have played together.

Ive heard of people recovering from covid and months later struggle with simple things like stairs. Even if Ben is a fit athlete when covid bites your going to suffer.
I think this is why Rafael cant trust him at CB

I think thats more a Rondon/Keane issue than Godfrey.

I think thats more a Rondon/Keane issue than Godfrey.
Godfrey has stunk the place out this season Zat. As someone who is not a big believer in him I will say I don't think he's this bad either so hopefully he improves. But there is no reason to be giving him games right now if we're fully healthy.

Godfrey has stunk the place out this season Zat. As someone who is not a big believer in him I will say I don't think he's this bad either so hopefully he improves. But there is no reason to be giving him games right now if we're fully healthy.
Zats talking rubbish as per, Ben is a long way from the player we seen last season

…very interesting and fair assessment from Benitez. Like some of us on here, he recognised his aerial weakness but is taken by his athleticism.

‘Wouldn’t play him up against a big striker’ but ‘ideal against somebody fast’. Left sided CB ideally. I think he can improve in the air by using his upper body bulk in a similar fashion to Lescott, Distin and Rondon.

Even if he's at 95% post Covid, that 5% is a lot in the Premier League

Concern is he never gets that 5% back.

Would be typical Everton though I mean how many players of ours have been ruined by an inury of some kind?

McCarthy/Coleman/Oviedo - broken leg
Gomes - broken ankle
Bolasie - ruptured knee ligament
Gbamin - all sorts
Toshun - 2x ACL's

A lot of money tied up in those players regardless of how good or bad of a player they were beforehand.

If you chuck Godfrey in that due to COVID its unbelievable bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.