2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I’m much happier with Godfrey than Todibo, especially from an attitude perspective.

Yes, I know you were not impressed with Todibo at all at Schalke and he certainly didn't cover himself in glory.

I still think Todibo's ceiling may be higher- he's taller for one. However I'd say Godfrey is further along and more used to the physicality of the league. He's played 130 games to Todibo's 31 and even 30 in the PL compared to Todibo who has 12 for Schalke & Barca. I appreciate for a lot of people they will look at that season with Norwich and the goals conceded and make a judgement, but in a lot of ways that is arguably the best grounding he could have had.

Yeah I get you. I think he’s guilty of speaking as if his opinions are fact and also making the assumption that Moshiri / the club actually care about FFP / the PLs financial regulations, as well as ignoring the fact that there are probably lots of things the club knows that we don’t (eg maybe they know FFP isn’t even gonna matter for the next couple of seasons).

But he’s not wrong when he says that, based on the financial regulations as we currently know and understand them, we are definitely falling foul of them at present. I mean the PL permits a loss of £105m over 3 years. Didn’t we post a loss of £112m last year alone? And we’re probably going to post another loss this year. Moshiri ploughing more money in doesn’t help that as it’s not revenue.

The way I see it, at least one of these things has to be true:

1. The club are absolutely banking on us getting Europe this season with the hope this will massively boost revenues (including improved commercial deals)

2. The club don’t give a shiny one about the financial regulations and are willing to pay any fine that eventually comes their way

3. The club have green light from the PL / UEFA to spend at will without repercussions given COVID

4. The club are planning for the sale of a huge asset next summer for £100m+ (eg Richarlison)

Having said all this, I’m just made up to see Moshiri backing Ancelotti. I’ll leave it to them to sort out the financials of it all.
Wont happen to any player
You don't hire Ancelotti and then sell the team out from under him
We will continue to spend as long as Carlo wants it
Usmanov will sort a sneaky sponsorship out some way
If we did not buy Godfrey York may have folded
Pl EFL and UEFA know this
Any money PL teams spend will dribble down through all the ranks of football
FPP is dead for a couple of years

The issue is, from an orthodox reading of things we couldn't. However it would be almost a fire sale in an orthodox reading. Every problem is got around with Moshiri putting more in.

I suspect there is some contention about that, as it's not a logical way to run things. We all do this though, we assume how we might approach things is how Moshiri logically has to be (or other people). I do it a lot. People see the world very differently.

One thing I'll say, is that both Chelsea, and City probably ran cubs at huge losses (far beyond our, relatively speaking) for 5-10 years, but ultimately built an organisation that isnow worth multiple billion. I'm not sure how you grow an org to be worth around what say City/Chelsea are worth without adding a lot of debt in the short-medium term. If that was the plan it won't worry them.

I fully understand that there would be some anger at how mney was spent badly. However, you are really not going to choose Brands and Ancelotti, when we finally look on the brink of moving forward, to make a point that the club has wasted money so they get no more. It would be cutting off ones nose to spite ones face.

It ought to be added The Esk isn't the only one who's said the things he has, he's perhaps just the most well known. At some point people are going to have to stop with the "we are skint and have to sell" narrative, summer after summer, without ever really evaluating that after years of big spending, this may just be the new normal.
This
Usmanov promised Carlo money to spend and Carlo will spend it

...I assume Ancelotti doesn’t like the Keane/Mina partnership and Brands has been trying to introduce pace since Zouma left, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Keane/Godfrey starting games in the very near future.

Mina and Holgate will have to be patient and grab any opportunity that arises.
CBs that complement each other
A bend of youth experience .pace ,defensive capabilities
A sum of more than their combined parts

Status
Not open for further replies.