2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean the sequencing went something like;
1) Carlo is going for a break in America, away from football for a period
2) Carlo meets Usmanov for a chat about football/Everton
3) Carlo signs for Everton.

I strongly suspect Ancelotti has a direct line into Moshiri and/or Usmanov. Thats ultimately who he is accountable too. Brands can do his thing seperately.
Agree
Carlo only answers to the owners
Brands does the negotiations and gets who Carlo wants plus the young lads.
Last year we would have dragged our heels on Godfrey over the fee
This time Carlo tells Usmanov he wants him ,Usmanov tells Brands
GET IT DONE SOD THE MONEY
I do not think Carlo is finished spending this window
Clubs in Europe and here will be looking at their accounts and panicking
You do not hire a stallion and put a restrainer on him

Agree
Carlo only answers to the owners
Brands does the negotiations and gets who Carlo wants plus the young lads.
Last year we would have dragged our heels on Godfrey over the fee
This time Carlo tells Usmanov he wants him ,Usmanov tells Brands
GET IT DONE SOD THE MONEY
I do not think Carlo is finished spending this window
Clubs in Europe and here will be looking at their accounts and panicking
You do not hire a stallion and put a restrainer on him

I agree with much of that.

I don't think Carlo would have played a key role on Godfrey though. He seems a Brands signing to me, with Ancelotti happy to ok it.

People seem to assume our reticence to go and meet asking fees us down to the owners. My position is it's Brands doing his due diligence and negotiating properly and well. If you look at the 6 lads we've bought this year (including Brainthwaite) we've probably spent £70m quid on them. It's outstanding work from Brands.

I also think, with FFP down currently, possibly forever more, there is a sweet spot and the owners are keen to exploit that. I wouldn't rule out more deals. People were saying only a CB on loan, then we spend £25m on Godfrey. I suspect the loan option was because with Tomori and Todibo he felt they were only worth a loan at this point, whereas he's more convinced on Godfrey.

Probably a very stupid question but I assume we’ve missed the registration cut off for tomorrow’s game? If his medical was today I wonder if there is even a sniff of a chance he could be involved. Very unlikely I presume

I repeat, we are nto paying £25m for someone to provide 'cover'. He will be developed and play plenty, with the aim being he takes a full time CB spot down road.

Ifwe just wanted cover for Holgate there would have been plenty of options for a season loan on the table.

I really like Mason Holgate, looks like he has a top draw atittude and made a big impression last season (we were averaging well over 1.5 points per game when he played). I think a bit of that was his style of defender was what was needed. Godfrey has a bette pedigree than Holgate. If we get to a point where Holgate becomes your back up CB/RB/CM player, then that's a really strong position to be in as a club. It also means he will be working every day to improve.

As for Godfrey, I am not sure he will be in first game, but if Keane/Mina drop their levels he will be in quite quickly.

Probably a very stupid question but I assume we’ve missed the registration cut off for tomorrow’s game? If his medical was today I wonder if there is even a sniff of a chance he could be involved. Very unlikely I presume

Had to be done by 12pm the day before in the past so yeah, assume so

Keiron Dowell was the last player you signed from us. Hopefully he does great things for you, I'd love to see him be a success.

Lets hope so........the waste of money on Naismith, Windschult, Jarvis.........meant we had to sell Maddison for £24m and we got another £1m when he got his England cap

Wasn't sure on this at the time and was under the impression it was a negotiation tactic to put pressure on Chelsea to loan us Tomori. On reflection, in the long term it could end up being a really good deal for us. If he develops in the way he has the potential to we could have a solid partnership at centre half in Holgate and Godfrey for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.