Homepage Update: Baines: We have no chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the situations are the same BUT there are certainly similarities. I think Lukaku's comments, while perfectly reasonable for him to want CL, are disrespectful to us fans. If anything, Lukaku is the one who should probably apologise more, for me.

I still love him though.
Can't have one rule for one and another for Baines.

Can't have one rule for one and another for Baines.
Very true, I just wonder if Baines' remarks were more "we're crap, we know we're crap, and the manager doesn't have a grip on the situation and it does our heads in as well as the fans", and Lukaku's were "I might leave, I want CL, see ya losers".

Difference in context although I appreciate that Romelu has had that stance throughout his career and it isn't new news.

Very true, I just wonder if Baines' remarks were more "we're crap, we know we're crap, and the manager doesn't have a grip on the situation and it does our heads in as well as the fans", and Lukaku's were "I might leave, I want CL, see ya losers".

Difference in context although I appreciate that Romelu has had that stance throughout his career and it isn't new news.
Which leaves us as crap losers...

And as others have mentioned, the hypocrisy of it, he never calls out Lukaku about talking to the press, because knows Rom is the sole reason he still has a job.

Baines has been unfit this season and is an easy target for him maybe. Not in my eyes though. He's as Blue as they come, turned down Champions League to stay with us.

He did slate Lukaku after missing the pen against West Ham to be fair, but that was desperate measures to cover up his failure to manage the game when we were a man down.

I think there is an element of that, yeah.

I think the club needs a big uplift though. I'm hoping the cup does that (IF we win it), but I also can't help feel that general consensus on him is now too far gone to be turned around.
If we went on a winning streak from now until the fall cup final then plenty would change their mind. I can't see that happening though.

A-- He said Baines was misinterpreted
B -- He said Baines apologised for putting himself in a position to be misinterpreted.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

There's plenty wrong with that as it's obviously untruthful and undermines what's left of RM's credibility - Baines was not misinterpreted, at all, and everyone can see that.

It's also an incompetent way of trying to assert authority. From Martinez' point of view Baines absolutely needs a bollocking - no question about that. Only a complete doormat would tolerate a senior player making indirect criticism like that in the national media. The correct way to do it would be to deliver said bollocking in private, make some generically supportive comments of Baines in public on how you understand his frustration and we're all working hard to put it right, then drop him for 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.