Votes: 132 75.9%
  • no

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • has it really been 10 years?

Votes: 24 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's probably the only Everton player I've considered to be the best in the world in his position, in my lifetime at least.

Not even top 5. We do tend to overrate our own. Southall & Lineker are the only ones in the last 30 years which could fairly lay that claim while wearing our colours.

But he's an Everton great: lost some form after Pienaar left the first time which betrayed a slight dependence on who's ahead of him, also had a long dodgy phase of bad corner kicks...but he's given us bags of brilliant memories, largely-consistent performances and generally the kind of high-quality we would love to have in all positions.

I'd put Leighton in top 5 of our best players of the 21st century along with Cahill (who's the more cult), Arteta, Jags and Rom.

Remember when his chances created were the best in Europe for 2 seasons running which for a left back is crazy

Top player and top bloke, it showed how highly regarded he was with the abuse Martinez got after his comments

Everton Giant if I've ever seen one

Turned down United due to loyalty and because quite frankly, he earns enough was happy.

Deserves a trophy with us as much as anyone IMO.

Not even top 5. We do tend to overrate our own. Southall & Lineker are the only ones in the last 30 years which could fairly lay that claim while wearing our colours.

But he's an Everton great: lost some form after Pienaar left the first time which betrayed a slight dependence on who's ahead of him, also had a long dodgy phase of bad corner kicks...but he's given us bags of brilliant memories, largely-consistent performances and generally the kind of high-quality we would love to have in all positions.

I'd put Leighton in top 5 of our best players of the 21st century along with Cahill (who's the more cult), Arteta, Jags and Rom.

I think he meant at one point, not now. I don't think its unfair to argue that Baines, at one point was on par with anyone worldwide.

Regarding corners, I think there's a curse at Goodison, everyone is [Poor language removed] at them.

There was no one I would have had ahead of him at his peak, and that includes the likes of Lahm and Cole.

Couldn't say the same for the rest you mentioned.

@andy4efc @Carlito i understood it as 'at one point' also. Take off the blue specs and during those peak years (09-12 say) we see an excellent player, one of the league's most consistent and arguably the best LB in the Prem (depending on how you rate Cole's Chelsea years).

But best in the world is mighty pushing it. If he was, he'd have shown a lot more against quality European opposition, and a lot more in an England shirt. There's a case Baines didn't quite make the step up to 'world-class'...so certainly never best in the world.

We do tend to overrate our own...as do most fans of any club, it's natural.

@andy4efc @Carlito i understood it as 'at one point' also. Take off the blue specs and during those peak years (09-12 say) we see an excellent player, one of the league's most consistent and arguably the best LB in the Prem (depending on how you rate Cole's Chelsea years).

But best in the world is mighty pushing it. If he was, he'd have shown a lot more against quality European opposition, and a lot more in an England shirt. There's a case Baines didn't quite make the step up to 'world-class'...so certainly never best in the world.

We do tend to overrate our own...as do most fans of any club, it's natural.
It's a fair argument. It would have been interesting to see how he fared had he made the move to Bayern Munich.

I do think that if you're consistently one of the best in an elite league, then you're essentially one of the best in the world.

Turned down United due to loyalty and because quite frankly, he earns enough was happy.

Deserves a trophy with us as much as anyone IMO.

Not strictly true. He turned down United for two reasons :
1: He knew Moyes was temporary and wouldn't last;
2. He lacks real courage....Everton is a comfort blanket for him. The World Cup highlighted his weaknesses.

Without Pienaar he is half the player

It's a fair argument. It would have been interesting to see how he fared had he made the move to Bayern Munich.

I do think that if you're consistently one of the best in an elite league, then you're essentially one of the best in the world.
Baines would never have moved to Bayern. He is a small town boy as the Communards sang.

Can't agree that he is half the player without Pienaar, he had fantastic stats even after he left. Imagine how good he would have been in his prime if he didn't play for an extremely negative defensive focused side.

Status
Not open for further replies.