Are we stronger now than when we finished the season?

IS THETEAM STRONGER?

• YES

Votes: 194 47.9%
  • NO

Votes: 69 17.0%
  • KINDA MAYBE POSSIBLY WHO REALLY KNOWS LAD

Votes: 142 35.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The replacements for Gueye have to hit the ground running for us to be competitive at the start of the season. Right now I have huge reservations about the midfield. We saw last year how Gomes can struggle and be a passenger, this will be exacerbated without Gueye alongside him.

Then we have Mina at centre half who is now going to have to play every game he is fit. Big ask for any young lad in that position.

Kean is another one who is going to be thrown in at the deep end due to having limited options. I think we are asking a lot of players who might not be up to it in the first few months of the season. It's a huge test for them.

Got to say yes, got rid of some deadwood, yes Zouma and Gueye will be missed. But we've bought a lot of strength in depth in midfield, including another option on the left. And of course just maybe that elusive striker we haven't had since Lukaku.

Stronger in the sense of the squad being made up of a much higher percentage of players with an actual role to play in the first team.

Now whether that first team is definitely stronger is difficult to know as I've very little idea of Gbamin and even less idea of how MS want's the team to play. There's a lot of people thinking that Gbamin has been brought in as a like for like swap for Gueye but I'd argue there may be a tweak or three to the tactics that mean less emphasis is based on a pure anchorman type player.

Similar to how Alex Ferguson never went out and bought a replacement for Scholes. Made a tactical switch instead as there simply wasn't a like for like Scholes replacement.

It's hard to know really. If Kean and Gbamin turn out great then we're stronger in midfield and attack than last year but, despite all of the hype, we don't really know how they will turn out. We've got a clearer idea on Iwobi but even there we will have to see. Where we are decidedly weaker is in the centre of defense. We only have two senior centre backs at the club, which is a huge balls up. Full back looks well sorted though. Which leaves only the kinda, maybe, possibly, who really knows option. We'll know for sure by mid-January.

Defence looked solid in preseason, just saying. Not sure why there’s a huge fear that we’ll be run through without Gueye playing.

Defence looked solid in preseason, just saying. Not sure why there’s a huge fear that we’ll be run through without Gueye playing.

It depends how we play.

We weren't playing against sides playing at full intensity (just as we weren't playing at full intensity) so we can't really judge anything.

If we go all out attack in terms of pressing everyone on, then we will get cut through. The evidence was there enough last times last season.

But hopefully we won't do that. Gomes is probably gonna have to be a bit smarter and Schneiderlin will need to be at his best. Neither can cover the ground Gueye does, but if Schneiderlin can get his positioning right then he can cover well enough until Gbamin is fit and Delph returns. And then we can maybe see a slightly different way of playing all together - as Gbamin definitely has the pace to get about and Delph is no slouch (and he can add that pressing that Gana did).

I think in the forward areas it could still take some time to click but when it does we can be very potent.

My worry isn't Keane and Mina as a partnership (though we will have to drop a few yards further back in some circumstances). It's an injury/suspension to either of those two.

We aren't stronger overall unfortunately. Gbamin may replace Gueye but there is no way losing one of your best players is anything other than a bad thing. Zouma isn't here and even if Mina steps up, depth-wise we look very short.

But on the other hand, we have more options in the forward positions with Keane and Iwobi, more full back cover and more competition in central midfield. Time will tell how it all goes; if we build up an early head of steam with our favourable fixtures and ride our luck with injuries (doubtful I know), then we could have a great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.