2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he grew into the game had a ten minute spell in the first half where his running caused problems. Didn’t look out of place, hopefully stays involved and trajectory continues upwards. Pace is lightening needs to build confidence in the final third be a bit more decisive but may come in time.
Good post, as you say he needs to build his confidence and be more decisive, that will come with experience, the more he plays the better he should become. Gordon has always had the ability but tended to fade from games as he was growing up, Benitez will not allow this and he will also be a big help to Anthony maturing into a good consistent player.

…..still waiting to see his curly wurley.

It looked to me that while he was really solid defensively he wanted to get down the line using his pace and get the ball in the box or to someone else to put it in.

Got the feeling hes been told to do ABC rather than trying anything outrageous.

It looked to me that while he was really solid defensively he wanted to get down the line using his pace and get the ball in the box or to someone else to put it in.

Got the feeling hes been told to do ABC rather than trying anything outrageous.

….I don’t think so. Benitez likes his wide players to take central positions, I think at the moment he’s ultra conscientious. He’s mindful of what he has to do behind the ball. It was the same with Ancelotti, which is why he always brought him on ahead of Kean.

….I don’t think so. Benitez likes his wide players to take central positions, I think at the moment he’s ultra conscientious. He’s mindful of what he has to do behind the ball. It was the same with Ancelotti, which is why he always brought him on ahead of Kean.

He seemed to lose all confidence last season. I wonder if he was "overcoached" a bit or maybe he was a bit too young to take in all the information. Like he would get back in shape, but lost all the off the cuff ability- which is ultimately why he is there.

It's strange as the QPR game was a turning point, or a potential one. He seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on. He then played really well on Saturday, not just defensive shape, but almost went back to playing on instinct. The occasions he skimmed it past AWB and Lindeloff and left them for dead before picking Townsend out was outstanding. Everyone will want to see a lot more of that, he went by the player like they weren't there. Hopefully some confidence will come in wanting to go on the inside and start getting some shots off, as he has always been a decent striker of a ball too.

He’s got a chance this kid, it looks like there is a player in there, Benitez may just be the right man to bring it out. I thought he showed promise in Ancelotti’s early days, but, after he had the audacity to ask Ancelotti what he had to do to get more game time, Ancelotti just seemed to freeze him out until the window, when he sent him off to Preston.

He was unlucky at Preston in as much as the manager who signed him was sacked soon after Gordon arrived and the new manager just didn’t play him.

That performance at OT must strengthen his confidence in his own ability. Hes only 20 and the best is yet to come from him. Works well with Digne on the left and isnt afraid to take opponents on in the box. Much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.