2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not we loan him will depend on if Bernard goes. Anthony definitely needs plenty more minutes but we've seen enough over the last few weeks to know he's definitely not ready for the top flight yet. Doesn't mean he won't ever be, but we can't be giving him much time at all on the pitch if we want to stay around the race for Europe because he doesn't offer enough currently.

I'd say a loan up to Scotland (if that's allowed with COVID and all) would be good, he needs to fill out but also be playing in less pressure atmospheres.

Of course it was a poor team performance, but honestly, if you are going to have a go at Davies for instance, then Gordon is in the same 11. My point is, even when we haven't been this poor, his cameos have mostly been enthusiasm, and save for a couple of decent crosses, for me, he hasn't yet showed that bit of quality or x factor that even Davies showed in his early performances. I'm just not seeing a potential star in the making that others are, and it seems to be hype and expectation that is carrying his reputation. He hasn't yet had that break through performance that sets the real potential from the rest.

It's maybe a little unfair to compare him to other players like Rooney, or Barkley, etc, but they came in and made people excited, made them sit up and take notice. At the moment, for me Gordon has yet to do this. He's in the didn't let anyone down category, along with Baxter and Forshaw.

That's not to say he can't or won't prove to be in a completely different league, but I think a well thought out loan with some regular football might be what's best for him. Maybe if we have retained an interest in Brooks, we could work out a deal that sees him go the other way on loan and see if he can fill his place for a time?
It definitely is unfair to compare him to Rooney and Barkley. Rooney probably the most talented and ready-made teenager to play for a British football club.

Barkley, despite the fans hatred of him, and his development plateau, was also one of the most technically and physically gifted players to debut in England this century.

Not everyone has to be a wonderkid.

Gordon has shown ability, pace, liveliness and creativity when he's played. He's shown attributes like ball carrying that only Richarlison in the side can better.

He's far from the finished product but he's also barely played this season and when he does it's when the rest of the side has an absolute stinker like Sheff U and Rotherham.

He was far from our worst performer and he needs game time to develop and learn. I think it should be here, in this side under Carlo and playing alongside the likes of James, Richarlison, Digne etc.

If not maybe a loan would be good but think a move to Germany would be better than Championship.

Saw none of this natural creative technique trickery he is supposed to posses. One quick tap and turn early doors was about it, his marker sussed him out on it first go, that's a worry he had nothing else. Was looking forward to at least fouls and subsequent free kicks drawn to manage him. He was far too easily managed.

However, is young and blame should be on more older experienced players for the team performance.

He should be loaned out, he has talent but isn't quite there to play regularly for us yet. If we get into Europe he'll get plenty of opportunities but for the next 6 months send him to Swansea.

If we can get Europe then i think Nkounkou and Gordon on the left will be very exciting.

Hopefully Bernard is sold so we can see more of Gordon in the league to get him up to speed.

It definitely is unfair to compare him to Rooney and Barkley. Rooney probably the most talented and ready-made teenager to play for a British football club.

Barkley, despite the fans hatred of him, and his development plateau, was also one of the most technically and physically gifted players to debut in England this century.

Not everyone has to be a wonderkid.

Gordon has shown ability, pace, liveliness and creativity when he's played. He's shown attributes like ball carrying that only Richarlison in the side can better.

He's far from the finished product but he's also barely played this season and when he does it's when the rest of the side has an absolute stinker like Sheff U and Rotherham.

He was far from our worst performer and he needs game time to develop and learn. I think it should be here, in this side under Carlo and playing alongside the likes of James, Richarlison, Digne etc.

If not maybe a loan would be good but think a move to Germany would be better than Championship.
I wouldn’t call what Barkley received hatred, well at least not while he was at the club. I think people knew he was talented and therefore the expectation was much higher. Is it a lot of pressure? For sure, yes, but what kind of pressure are players under at the top? In the end it’s not just about talent, it’s other stuff too that will determine whether you go on to make it. Obviously he has made it as a footballer, but one could argue he hasn’t reached his potential.

Whether or not we loan him will depend on if Bernard goes. Anthony definitely needs plenty more minutes but we've seen enough over the last few weeks to know he's definitely not ready for the top flight yet. Doesn't mean he won't ever be, but we can't be giving him much time at all on the pitch if we want to stay around the race for Europe because he doesn't offer enough currently.

I'd say a loan up to Scotland (if that's allowed with COVID and all) would be good, he needs to fill out but also be playing in less pressure atmospheres.
Seen enough of him??? When?
You could say the same words I've highlighted about Richarlison :)

I said this on here.

Was so glaringly obvious.

• “Where I need to improve is getting back into shape quicker and being harder to beat, instead of pressing, then waiting and not getting back into shape – being the odd one out.”
Also;

“I was tired really early in the game,” said Gordon.

“Playing a Championship team, which was quite defensive minded, I felt I could have really got at them, but my fitness levels just weren’t there.

Now... all those on Ancelotti's back for not playing him might start to see the manager knows what he's doing.

I said this on here.

• “Where I need to improve is getting back into shape quicker and being harder to beat, instead of pressing, then waiting and not getting back into shape – being the odd one out.”
Also;

“Playing a Championship team, which was quite defensive minded, I felt I could have really got at them, but my fitness levels just weren’t there.

Now... all those on Ancelotti's back for not playing him might start to see the manager knows what he's doing.

Bit embarrassing to not be fit 4 months into the season. I understand his match fitness wouldn't be there as he's not playing but he should be fit as fiddle with natural fitness.

If we can get Europe then i think Nkounkou and Gordon on the left will be very exciting.

Hopefully Bernard is sold so we can see more of Gordon in the league to get him up to speed.
Agreed
The opposition manager would be very excited to that left wing line up against him
There are very few if any Fleetwood towns playing in the CL

I said this on here.

Also;

You mean it wasn’t as simple as ‘just play Nkonkou Gordon and Simms’?! It’s almost as though Ancelotti knows what he’s doing and found another way to win games rather than just chucking random kids into the first team at the first sign of dropped points. Hope we’re paying thy Carlo bloke decent money.

I said this on here.

Also;

I agree with what he's saying but there's nothing wrong with the honesty either. Lots of players refuse to accept their weaknesses and never improve on them. First step to getting better is knowing what you need to work on.

And the fact Ancelotti is telling him what he needs to work on is also positive in a roundabout way. He obviously thinks he can do it, or he wouldn't be bothering.

Status
Not open for further replies.