2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not writing him off, but I keep expecting him to show more and its not really happened. He looks like he has a lot of willing in him, but has he shown anything to say he is better than Dowell? Dowell didn't get a fraction of the opportunities Gordon has had, which is a massive shame.

Loans are weird, because the short term 3 month loans to struggling championship teams do nothing for anyone. If we are gonna sort a loan, we need to ensure he is going to get regular game time. Which to me means a long term loan, preferably a full season or longer. And it needs to be to a team that are looking specifically for his type/style of player, not just another body to fill in any role at a team that is short on numbers.

For me, Bernard offers next to nothing, so wouldn't be a great loss if he went, other than further reducing a small active squad. If we are going to try and shift Bernard this window, then we ideally need a real upgrade to come straight in and improve the squad. You would hope Gordon would be pressing for his place. But at this point in time, I'm not sure he has enough to do that.

The way we played yesterday totally negated any threat he could offer after the first 10/15 mins though.

He has a lot to learn, but he showed his quality early on when we actually attacked.

I don't blame him for Gomes and Davies being unable to string two passes together.

It was a great little moment from him. Thought he was our best player in the early stages. Made a driving run into the box at one point and looked like he was clipped.

Then of course he faded, which I suspect is the reason he's not getting more minutes. My guess is that physically he can't stay at that level too long, especially given how slight he is in comparison to who he's up against.

Let's hope he can push on because there's a player in there.
Slight, you must have missed his pre season pumped photos.

The way we played yesterday totally negated any threat he could offer after the first 10/15 mins though.

He has a lot to learn, but he showed his quality early on when we actually attacked.

I don't blame him for Gomes and Davies being unable to string two passes together.
Gave Digne no cover when he was being consistently run.

The way we have played recently has negated everyone’s attacking threat. It’s even destroyed Richarlison.

Slow movement from back to front Allowing defence to be set. Never any space for Richarlison to exploit. Gordon doesn’t stand a chance with that.

His assist for the goal was great. It was an actual forward pass in the opposition half.

Gordon seems to have the same problem as a number of our players like Bernard and Iwobi, unable to sustain a decent performance for 60 minutes. Bring any of these three on from the bench for the last 30 minutes and they sparkle running at tiring defenders . In terms of physicality I thought he was ok yesterday , holding off challenges and not being shoved off the ball , he’s never going to be a muscular attacking force but there are other areas of his game that need working on. I would suspect that his inconsistency would leave him vulnerable to lack of game time if he got a loan now, so preferable for me that he remains with us to get more work done on things and become an option for coming off the bench at 70 mind.

Needs a 12 month loan in the Championship or at a Burnley/Sheffield in the Prem where he consistently plays and gets used to the bigger bodies.

I think, that only after that will we be able to make a judgement if he can become a player that contributes to a top 6 club - that should be our only criteria with Carlo at the helm now.

Gave Digne no cover when he was being consistently run.
Yeah, that side of his game was poor and needs to improve.

but the lad’s 19 and has started 3 games this season, making 6 appearances in total

against Rotherham at home we shouldn’t be worrying about our full-back getting constantly run. That happened because we had no control of the ball after the first 10/15 minutes until just about when we scored in extra-time. Had we played with any cohesion and control, as we did before our opener for 10 mins, we would have seen what Gordon can offer going forward, rather than insisting he should be tracking back

but the lad’s 19 and has started 3 games this season, making 6 appearances in total

against Rotherham at home we shouldn’t be worrying about our full-back getting constantly run. That happened because we had no control of the ball after the first 10/15 minutes until just about when we scored in extra-time. Had we played with any cohesion and control, as we did before our opener for 10 mins, we would have seen what Gordon can offer going forward, rather than insisting he should be tracking back
Take your point,but he needs to have an all-round game to succeed in the Prem. Early days as you say but seems to lose focus too easily,good players react to the game as it unfolds,he's young so hopefully just a bad day at the office although an assist so not all bad.

This

Of course it was a poor team performance, but honestly, if you are going to have a go at Davies for instance, then Gordon is in the same 11. My point is, even when we haven't been this poor, his cameos have mostly been enthusiasm, and save for a couple of decent crosses, for me, he hasn't yet showed that bit of quality or x factor that even Davies showed in his early performances. I'm just not seeing a potential star in the making that others are, and it seems to be hype and expectation that is carrying his reputation. He hasn't yet had that break through performance that sets the real potential from the rest.

It's maybe a little unfair to compare him to other players like Rooney, or Barkley, etc, but they came in and made people excited, made them sit up and take notice. At the moment, for me Gordon has yet to do this. He's in the didn't let anyone down category, along with Baxter and Forshaw.

That's not to say he can't or won't prove to be in a completely different league, but I think a well thought out loan with some regular football might be what's best for him. Maybe if we have retained an interest in Brooks, we could work out a deal that sees him go the other way on loan and see if he can fill his place for a time?

Of course it was a poor team performance, but honestly, if you are going to have a go at Davies for instance, then Gordon is in the same 11. My point is, even when we haven't been this poor, his cameos have mostly been enthusiasm, and save for a couple of decent crosses, for me, he hasn't yet showed that bit of quality or x factor that even Davies showed in his early performances. I'm just not seeing a potential star in the making that others are, and it seems to be hype and expectation that is carrying his reputation. He hasn't yet had that break through performance that sets the real potential from the rest.

It's maybe a little unfair to compare him to other players like Rooney, or Barkley, etc, but they came in and made people excited, made them sit up and take notice. At the moment, for me Gordon has yet to do this. He's in the didn't let anyone down category, along with Baxter and Forshaw.

That's not to say he can't or won't prove to be in a completely different league, but I think a well thought out loan with some regular football might be what's best for him. Maybe if we have retained an interest in Brooks, we could work out a deal that sees him go the other way on loan and see if he can fill his place for a time?
I think he had some performances last season that were really promising.

Take your point,but he needs to have an all-round game to succeed in the Prem. Early days as you say but seems to lose focus too easily,good players react to the game as it unfolds,he's young so hopefully just a bad day at the office although an assist so not all bad.

Of course he does. But I'm really not sure how you or anyone else can judge on the little we've seen of him.

Our performance yesterday was poor and he was part of that. But simultaneously he's an attacking player and for the small amount of time we had control of the ball in the opening stages, he cut them apart twice - once with a really good run and the second with the pass for Tosun's opener.

The way we played totally negated our attacking threat and that's down to having two midfielders incapable of controlling play.

It's clear Gordon needs time and has plenty to work on. Just wish we'd play to his strengths more when he's on the pitch rather than crab about for ages and lose the ball in midfield.

My point was that you've got a young attacking player who is very good at certain things. We saw that with his movement, runs and passes in the early exchanges. After that he was poor.

But defensively he shouldn't be having to do all that work against Rotherham at home to see the best from him. We should be on the front foot and getting him into dangerous areas where he can use his skillset and show us what he's good at.

That comes from midfield, because we had zero control, and both Davies and Gomes were abysmal.

I don't think any of them, bar probably Olsen, that started played well, but those two in particular stood out as being rank bad.

Of course he does. But I'm really not sure how you or anyone else can judge on the little we've seen of him.

Our performance yesterday was poor and he was part of that. But simultaneously he's an attacking player and for the small amount of time we had control of the ball in the opening stages, he cut them apart twice - once with a really good run and the second with the pass for Tosun's opener.

The way we played totally negated our attacking threat and that's down to having two midfielders incapable of controlling play.

It's clear Gordon needs time and has plenty to work on. Just wish we'd play to his strengths more when he's on the pitch rather than crab about for ages and lose the ball in midfield.
Gomes?

Status
Not open for further replies.