2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not writing him off just yet.

But I feel comments like "He can replace Richarlison" are way off the mark.

Hes shown flashes of what he can do and he's a young lad with potential, most people assume he's a cert to "make it", I'm 50/50 at the moment, it could go either way, but again, he's very young and he will improve.

He's obviously nowhere near Richarlison's level atm, but he's the closest we have to him in terms of player profile. A forward who likes playing off the left and cutting onto his right for shots and likes to run at players.

More than likely Iwobi will be playing but especially given Iwobi can tend to look gassed after 60/70 mins I would very much like to see what Gordon can do against tired legs.

Screenshot_20201021-001500.jpg

He's a good player, good potential but not enough places on the bench, Iwobi and Bernard are far more experienced, Delph can play LB and CM so he stays same as Godfrey who can play CM/DM and be shoved into RB, Siggy who is eternal and Davies another CM who offers something different to Siggy. Some tough decisions have to be made sadly he's still practically a baby though so it's nothing major to worry about.

He's a good player, good potential but not enough places on the bench, Iwobi and Bernard are far more experienced, Delph can play LB and CM so he stays same as Godfrey who can play CM/DM and be shoved into RB, Siggy who is eternal and Davies another CM who offers something different to Siggy. Some tough decisions have to be made sadly he's still practically a baby though so it's nothing major to worry about.

Bloody are enough places. 3 CM's on the bench last time.

Tbf mate he was on the pitch for 12 minutes the other day, in a mental part of the game.

I'm not his biggest fan but I don't really see what he did wrong the other day.

He was thrown on to get something out of the game and in whatever small way, he helped.
Tbf I'm probably being unfair if i base my opinions on him on Saturdays game, but I'm not. For me he doesn't do anything like enough when he's on the pitch and would much rather have someone who i think is worthy of a start rather than someone who has had numerous chances to impress but has failed on most occasions.

From all i have seen of him he's a proper player.
Will go with the time thing from ancelotti but id love to see him involved more.

Im not writing him off just yet.

But I feel comments like "He can replace Richarlison" are way off the mark.

Hes shown flashes of what he can do and he's a young lad with potential, most people assume he's a cert to "make it", I'm 50/50 at the moment, it could go either way, but again, he's very young and he will improve.

I think that’s right... push for him to play isn’t that he is anywhere close to Richy... it’s that he’s talented and on the fringes and to develop he needs to be getting decent minutes. And he certainly wouldn’t let the side down I’m sure

Tbf I'm probably being unfair if i base my opinions on him on Saturdays game, but I'm not. For me he doesn't do anything like enough when he's on the pitch and would much rather have someone who i think is worthy of a start rather than someone who has had numerous chances to impress but has failed on most occasions.

Fair enough, but it's a clean slate this season for the players that are left, surely?

Iwobi has only started one game this season, in this new look team.

He had 60 mins v Brighton and ended up with an assist and then was key to our fourth goal.

On his only start - v Fleetwood - he got a really good assist and scored.

I'm not saying he's the answer but based on this season, which is an entirely different team to even back in July, I think he's done enough to warrant some more time. He's only 24, plenty of time on his side etc.

There'll definitely be a drop off in terms of Richarlison to him, but it's where we're at at the moment.

Fair enough, but it's a clean slate this season for the players that are left, surely?

Iwobi has only started one game this season, in this new look team.

He had 60 mins v Brighton and ended up with an assist and then was key to our fourth goal.

On his only start - v Fleetwood - he got a really good assist and scored.

I'm not saying he's the answer but based on this season, which is an entirely different team to even back in July, I think he's done enough to warrant some more time. He's only 24, plenty of time on his side etc.

There'll definitely be a drop off in terms of Richarlison to him, but it's where we're at at the moment.
I get where you're coming from with the clean slate thing but after witnessing the atrocities of last season from players like Sigurdson, Davies and (in my eyes) Iwobi i find it very difficult to give them another chance in front of someone that as far as I've seen hasn't let us down in any games he's played in, dont get me wrong I'm not saying Gordon is the new Messi but I'd prefer he got a chance to prove his worth rather than those that have already been unable to. The point though is irrelevant as ancelloti will start with Iwobi rather than Gordon as he either rates him more than Gordon or Gordon is being punished for his banging on the managers door after the spurs game demanding why he wasn't playing as since then in the league anyway he's hardly even made the bench.

Have a feeling he may start today. Stylistically our best replacement for Richarlison off the left, nobody else is as penetrative as him.
If he does I expect this thread to have 50 pages by tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.