2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I’ve noticed is Anthony is more of a classical left midfielder. He likes to stay out wide and run the line and get crosses in. With the way we use our fullbacks to provide the width, I think Carlo is more in favor of wingers that offer more threat cutting inside- something Anthony hasn’t really shown. I think he’s capable (and he looks damn good at getting down the line and crossing), but he could do with showing more of a goal threat.

Gordon is the opposite. He always looks to cut in and whip a curler, tried it three times in Carabou cup (hit the post) and scored one recently for England.

He also has excellent work rate.

I trust Carlo though and he knows If he is ready or not

For me if its a straightforward decision between Gordon or Iwobi then it has to be Gordon. I haven't seen anything from Iwobi that would make me want to start him in any game, infact when he came on at the weekend against our loveable neighbours did he even touch the ball?

Gordon is the opposite. He always looks to cut in and whip a curler, tried it three times in Carabou cup (hit the post) and scored one recently for England.

He also has excellent work rate.

I trust Carlo though and he knows If he is ready or not
Exactly . Carlo has worked with nearly all the best players in the world . He would know how good Gordon can be . He needs a bit of experience and maybe a bit more size .
His workrate and apparent attitude will serve him well as his natural talent .

The chance for a new local player to come through the ranks, so we can make him a scapegoat down the line
Just kidding. I think he looks great, and direct
You may just be kidding but there's a lot of truth in that. But you already know that don't you.

For me if its a straightforward decision between Gordon or Iwobi then it has to be Gordon. I haven't seen anything from Iwobi that would make me want to start him in any game, infact when he came on at the weekend against our loveable neighbours did he even touch the ball?
ERM, he did an amazing bit of skill to win us that dangerous fk at the end...

Richarlison’s suspension is an opportunity for Gordon and for us to find out a bit more about his performance at PL level, nobody can seriously be considering him as a replacement when Richarlison is back.

He offers the same left wing skill, link up with the full back, cut in and shoot with the right skills. He’s also played as 9 for the U23s and if he starts and DCL comes off it’s another option to consider particularly if Simms is not involved. His work rate though is nowhere near as great as Richarlison‘s but then neither is Iwobi’s . I suspect Iwobi will get the starting spot and Gordon may not even make the bench this week , but hope I’m wrong.

Did the best piece of skill in the game mate, so yes he touched it.

I think we are focusing on the wrong player comparisons with the Iwobi vs Bernard or Iwobi vs Gordon questions.

It is clear, that at least in Carlo's mind, Iwobi is first off the bench when needed an attacking substitution and has already directly replaced Richy when he left the game early.

Question is who will replace Iwobi's role as off the bench attacker. Gordon or Bernard? I am sure they would both be on the bench, but who will get those 20+ minutes?

Gordon does replicate what Richarlison does, but Iwobi has been more than serviceable when he has come on this season in both PL and CC games - assists and goals. He deserves to start, but Gordon has the opportunity to perform off the bench and prove that the he can do it consistently.

I feel like Richarlison’s suspension will be seen as Iwobi’s chance to prove himself. Gordon is still a young lad and as much as I love what I’ve seen so far, Carlo will be telling him to be patient. Carlo is also the man who gave him his chance to shine at the end of last season and possibly the best man manager in the world so I trust Anthony will be ok!

One thing I’ve noticed is Anthony is more of a classical left midfielder. He likes to stay out wide and run the line and get crosses in. With the way we use our fullbacks to provide the width, I think Carlo is more in favor of wingers that offer more threat cutting inside- something Anthony hasn’t really shown. I think he’s capable (and he looks damn good at getting down the line and crossing), but he could do with showing more of a goal threat.

he has shown a liking to cut in and try the curly wurly into the far corner ... think he has a few strings to his bow .. he was getting annoyed he didn’t slot one if them in the league cup games

Status
Not open for further replies.