2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So , a pretty ordinary game from him yesterday in the time he was on the pitch. At times he looked a bit lost , and just like what he is a young teenager , often trying to find space to receive a pass but moving into the wrong area . When he did get the ball he usually used it effectively, a couple of neat turns to create space then moving forward. I do hope though that we don’t coach his natural instinct to move forward out of him and get him crabbing sideways or back.
That's my concern and I saw some early signs of it at Wolves, including the passage of play in the minute before their penalty, when he cleverly jinked past a couple of the opposition tight on the left touchline just inside the Wolves half, but then instead of playing the ball infield to open up the play (and he did have team mates in space for the pass) he instead played it 20 yards backwards down the touchline to Digne -- I don't think we then subsequently had possession in the opposition half in the rest of that time before the penalty was awarded.

for the record I’ve seen some pace now in Gordon... seemed he was burning passed the guy that took him out as a result... not saying I’m sold he is rapid yet but he might be ok.

The kid says he's a no.10 and we are crying out for one.. give him Gylfi's shirt as soon as this season ends and put confidence in the lad all preseason playing that role for us.. pack the midfield around him with runners and the whole dynamic will look different.
He will get us up the pitch and closer to Richy & DCL and i dont care if he gives the ball away half of the time if he's trying to break lines.

The kid says he's a no.10 and we are crying out for one.. give him Gylfi's shirt as soon as this season ends and put confidence in the lad all preseason playing that role for us.. pack the midfield around him with runners and the whole dynamic will look different.
He will get us up the pitch and closer to Richy & DCL and i dont care if he gives the ball away half of the time if he's trying to break lines.

We don’t play with a no. 10.

Only if Carlo sticks with a standard 442. Imo theres room to accomodate a 10 if he puts emphasis on attacking full backs though. Digne is our most attacking player atm and if we can get a similar styled RB and a proper mobile DM then they can use Gordon to sit in front, alike a diamond 442.. will mean less width as the 'wingers' would be more RM/LM..
Similar to the formation he used at AC and then Chelsea, more of a 41212.
Just think if Carlo sticks with a rigid 442 we need far too big an overhaul to make it successful.

Only if Carlo sticks with a standard 442. Imo theres room to accomodate a 10 if he puts emphasis on attacking full backs though. Digne is our most attacking player atm and if we can get a similar styled RB and a proper mobile DM then they can use Gordon to sit in front, alike a diamond 442.. will mean less width as the 'wingers' would be more RM/LM..
Just think if Carlo sticks with a rigid 442 we need far too big an overhaul to make it successful

Agreed on the system doesn’t fit the squad but I reckon we’re stuck with a flat 4-4-2 going forwards.

Like many I knew he was faster than the likes of Bernard and Iwobi but wasn't sold of him being that quick but a few times he started to go past people with ease. Contrary to popular belief I reckon a full Goodison will really push this lad on.

That's my concern and I saw some early signs of it at Wolves, including the passage of play in the minute before their penalty, when he cleverly jinked past a couple of the opposition tight on the left touchline just inside the Wolves half, but then instead of playing the ball infield to open up the play (and he did have team mates in space for the pass) he instead played it 20 yards backwards down the touchline to Digne -- I don't think we then subsequently had possession in the opposition half in the rest of that time before the penalty was awarded.
Anthony Gordon will have good [patches and bad patch for another three or four year, it is part of the learning curve that he is on.

Mind you, that will be forgotten here when he gets slaughtered for a poor performance.

Even in a 442 you could play him in a 4411 style, have him off DCL or Richy, keep him close and provide a link between midfield and attack. Hes the ability to turn with the ball and run at players, can strike a ball.

So in defence you'd have your two banks of four and two hardworking attackers to press.

In attack you'd have Richy left side pushing up, creating problems. Theo wide right (for now) pushing with DCL (a target in the middle) as well as having AG roaming.

Big ask for the lad, cant wait until he's really settled in the team and playing freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.