2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a normal side we would be saying he is doing well and to bring him in and out of the team.

With our lot he needs to play because nobody else can do what he does, even if thats just doing the basics right.

The lad has the most creativity in our midfield yesterday. And most importantly he worked his socks off. I am a fan of Anthony already.

I like him alot shows the raw talent you need to exicite fans..... but Gordon is definetly the flavour of the month for you guys... literally oblivious to errors by him which cost us a goal giving possession away then wasted a golden opportunity playing a simple pass to digne behind him

Keep playing him for the rest of the games, positive display again, shame he didn't get the pen he should have got. Disappointed he messed up that pass over to Digne as well, but he can be forgiven for that.

I like him alot shows the raw talent you need to exicite fans..... but Gordon is definetly the flavour of the month for you guys... literally oblivious to errors by him which cost us a goal giving possession away then wasted a golden opportunity playing a simple pass to digne behind him

Losing the ball on the halfway line when the defence is still in position doesn't cost a goal.

I agree that his final ball has been overhit but at least he can see the pass as most of the others look completely devoid of ideas. Hopefully as he settles in he doesn't try to force it as much and finds his range - I think fatigue could be a factor too as he is still adjusting to the pace and probably dealing with a lot of adrenaline each time he plays.

His movement is what excites me the most, we've been lacking a player who can pick it up between the lines on the half turn for ages so let's hope he can find that bit of composure.

I know your joking, but I’m actually worried about him in that dressing room, imagine looking around that dressing room and seeing the lack of fight and wet weetabix mentality and lack of role models, young players can pick up bad habits.

My hope is he's sufficiently driven to want to rise above the malaise and prove himself. But you're right, we need better figureheads.

So , a pretty ordinary game from him yesterday in the time he was on the pitch. At times he looked a bit lost , and just like what he is a young teenager , often trying to find space to receive a pass but moving into the wrong area . When he did get the ball he usually used it effectively, a couple of neat turns to create space then moving forward. I do hope though that we don’t coach his natural instinct to move forward out of him and get him crabbing sideways or back.

There’s an interesting piece on Gordon on the Club site, usual complimentary bits to the coaching staff, but this bit caught my eye. It highlights something I’ve probably banged on about too much , that he effectively lost six months of development at 17 when he should have moved up to the U23s. Started one game in August then not another start until February , just u18 and sub bench. Water under the bridge now , he’s progressed anyway etc but Gordon clearly remembers it to mention it .

He admits to a dip in self-belief only last season, when Gordon was caught betwixt and between, gnawing at the fringes of Unsworth’s team but outgrowing Under-18 football.

It was around this time he voiced his concerns separately to Seamus Coleman and Leighton Baines.”

There’s an interesting piece on Gordon on the Club site, usual complimentary bits to the coaching staff, but this bit caught my eye. It highlights something I’ve probably banged on about too much , that he effectively lost six months of development at 17 when he should have moved up to the U23s. Started one game in August then not another start until February , just u18 and sub bench. Water under the bridge now , he’s progressed anyway etc but Gordon clearly remembers it to mention it .

He admits to a dip in self-belief only last season, when Gordon was caught betwixt and between, gnawing at the fringes of Unsworth’s team but outgrowing Under-18 football.

It was around this time he voiced his concerns separately to Seamus Coleman and Leighton Baines.”
Always difficult in these circumstances to know whether he's progressed 'anyway' or whether he's progressed because of it. It all depends what you think about Unsworth I suppose; either he wasted 6 months of the lad's time and he'll never be as good as he could have been, or he's handled him perfectly and managed to get him ready to start games under one of the world's most decorated managers at 19. We'll never know for sure.

Always difficult in these circumstances to know whether he's progressed 'anyway' or whether he's progressed because of it. It all depends what you think about Unsworth I suppose; either he wasted 6 months of the lad's time and he'll never be as good as he could have been, or he's handled him perfectly and managed to get him ready to start games under one of the world's most decorated managers at 19. We'll never know for sure.
Very true, it might be a case of Unsworth challenging him to improve and earn his place in the team... he's certainly working hard off the pitch now, so maybe although he missed a number of games he has built a mentality to work hard and prove his place.

Indeed , and I know that has been the argument of yourself and others before, we’ll never know . Thankfully I don’t believe it’s a case of “he’ll never be as good as he could have been “, Carlo has seen to that , and of course Gordon’s own hard work.
We’ve watched Gordon through the years prove he’s our most talented recent Academy player. All opinions of course, but I think he’s made it despite rather than because of a system which 18 months ago had 6 attacking players starting ahead of him at u23, none are currently with the club. Certain players will make it anyway because of their talent , Gordon I believe is one of these , but I’m more and more questioning the Club’s ability to turn talented u18/u20 year olds into decent players in our current set up.

Very true, it might be a case of Unsworth challenging him to improve and earn his place in the team... he's certainly working hard off the pitch now, so maybe although he missed a number of games he has built a mentality to work hard and prove his place.
Yes we’ll never know , but the bit that caught my eye was him admitting to a dip in self confidence when he was considered not good enough for the u23 and turning to our two senior pros for advice. For me that’s not good for a 17 year old we should have been nurturing and a less strong player may not have made it out of that dip .

Status
Not open for further replies.