2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been that way for ages unfortunately. We did exactly the same with Barkley - all the creative burden was put on him pretty much immediately when he came in the team. Perhaps it's partly a hangover from when we had no money at all and it was fairly likely that some of our youth players would be as good if not better than the senior pros we could afford. To still be doing it when we pay such big money on transfers and wages is an absolute joke, though.

Agree - Barkley another good case in point. We did it with Osman too for many a year.

Didn't we play DCL as a right wing-back under Koeman at one point? Total mess.

He's also playing next to some utterly terrible players. As far as midfielders I'd be getting rid of, Tom is probably second bottom on the list behind Gbamin (and that's only because I don't see the point of binning someone before they play).

Totally agree with your thoughts on our midfield and Gbamin, but, I think Davies has been given every opportunity to shine over the last couple of years and still failed to impress. He probably has 3-4 decent games per season despite having been handed the Captaincy in a few games.

Don't get me wrong, we need local lads in the team but he just doesn't seem to have consistency in his locker.

Totally agree with your thoughts on our midfield and Gbamin, but, I think Davies has been given every opportunity to shine over the last couple of years and still failed to impress. He probably has 3-4 decent games per season despite having been handed the Captaincy in a few games.

Don't get me wrong, we need local lads in the team but he just doesn't seem to have consistency in his locker.
It's tough because as a club we are inconsistent. We have like 8 good performances a season. Trying to parse through who is actually good among the guys who aren't just bad always is tough.

It's tough because as a club we are inconsistent. We have like 8 good performances a season. Trying to parse through who is actually good among the guys who aren't just bad always is tough.
Think at the minute when discussing our midfield it's more a case of who has been the least bad.

Apart from Gordon of course.

Think at the minute when discussing our midfield it's more a case of who has been the least bad.

Apart from Gordon of course.
Gordon also feels to me like someone you want higher up the pitch and not playing CM even if he is going to do it better than all the other clowns.

The main thing about Davies today for me was he at least had some fortitude to him, Gomes and Sigurdsson did not.

Gordon also feels to me like someone you want higher up the pitch and not playing CM even if he is going to do it better than all the other clowns.

The main thing about Davies today for me was he at least had some fortitude to him, Gomes and Sigurdsson did not.

Totally agree, We could have done with him when we were playing 4-2-3-1. Would have liked to have seen how he might have performed in Sigurdssons role as AM.

The Straq was a player who gave everything but ultimately didn't have the skill set to match his passion, this is perhaps where Davies is atm and I just don't see him progressing enough if at all.

Totally agree, We could have done with him when we were playing 4-2-3-1. Would have liked to have seen how he might have performed in Sigurdssons role as AM.

The Straq was a player who gave everything but ultimately didn't have the skill set to match his passion, this is perhaps where Davies is atm and I just don't see him progressing enough if at all.
We never played 4-2-3-1 truly because Sigurdsson never actually did anything but play like a second striker. That part aside if we are going to use an actual three man midfield I'd prefer Iwobi be given a chance in it since the one time this season we did that he rinsed West Ham. Richarlison and Gordon can take the wide positions.

Regardless of whether he
Agree - Barkley another good case in point. We did it with Osman too for many a year.

Didn't we play DCL as a right wing-back under Koeman at one point? Total mess.

DCL actually got the assist that day, crossed for Rooney's header on his first match back. We won 1-0.

It was a strange decision to play him there though.

Would prefer Iwobi to play CM in our 4-4-2, he seems lost when he plays wide. Maybe try him and Gordon in the middle and Richarlison and Bernard wide with Kean and DCL up top.

We never played 4-2-3-1 truly because Sigurdsson never actually did anything but play like a second striker. That part aside if we are going to use an actual three man midfield I'd prefer Iwobi be given a chance in it since the one time this season we did that he rinsed West Ham. Richarlison and Gordon can take the wide positions.

Would prefer Iwobi to play CM in our 4-4-2, he seems lost when he plays wide. Maybe try him and Gordon in the middle and Richarlison and Bernard wide with Kean and DCL up top.

See I think the total opposite. We've now got players who have come up through the youth setup (again) and we have no real idea what their best position is (again). Davies, Dowell, Lundstram, Gordon, they'll just be moved (or were moved) around until something sticks. Even Holgate has played CB, RB and defensive mid. It's not made him a better player, and no coincidence that he got better as soon as he had a fixed spot in his obvious position.

It cannot be underestimated what a shocking job Unsworth has done in prepping our youngsters for the first team - and the even shoddier job our DoFs have done in providing zero club "ethos" in place.

Good points as always mate. I think Unsworth has produced players at least capable for "1st team" togger but they ain't been used the right way (not defending him or saying he isn't blameless) we've spunked millions on dross when Terry Timber (limited but solid if unspectacular) coukd have done a job in the 1st team.

All I'm certain of though mate is that we are 100% crap. Doesn't matter what we do, we are crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.