2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were two occasions yesterday where he looked like the Andre of old. Took a ball back to goal, spun his man and passed to the wing and the through ball he played to (I think) nkounkou into the box but other than that, he just rushed and misplaced every pass.

He seems bereft of confidence which is worrying as this is what happened at Barca. I’m just glad fans are not there to make him feel worse.

Clearly struggling. We need him.

Could we try a midfield three of Allan, doucoure and bernard?

No

He is very decent technically, his biggest demon is mental fragility.

In such a gung-ho league as this, that's very difficult to counter.

In my opinion, he is suited to one of the more middling, more pedestrian continental leagues.

You can't gloss over his stats with us either pre or post injury, the only difference is now that his non-contribution is just coming more to the fore.

He is a ghost, I'm afraid.

the usual knee jerk over-reaction.

he has a bad game and its....he is finished, that injury has ruined him....not good enough....sell him.

its pathetic...and its every player that has a poor game.
It happens.

Almost as pathetic as those that seem to want to give garbage players infinite amount of time to improve cos we should be "getting behind them".

He is fine when playing with the starting 11. He has a simple and defined role of being the transition man who helps keep possession and get the ball to our best players (James, Richy, Digne) while also being available for the CBs and All/Doucoure when they are pressured.

It's when you ask him to do more that he becomes frustrating.

He might not be the best deal long term, but in the current squad he is the best fit for that 433.

I back him to start there over Siggy every time and I think he will be fine once he is asked to just do his job instead of being relied upon for more.

Can't remember who, but I remember someone at Man United saying that the mark of a really good player is that their level doesn't drop too significantly when they're out of form. Seems to be the opposite with Gomes: when things aren't going his way he can't do anything right.

It's a shame. He's a nice player to watch when he's on it.

He was bad, but I thought overall he's had a decent season.

I'm going to do something ridiculous now and compare him to how Modrić played/plays. Just connecting the passes, linking the lines and keeping possession. Making sure he's a passing outlet for both the defence and wingers.

Obviously, he's not at Modrić level, but he did a decent job of it until Liverpool game.

He can get the job done, he's not a bad footballer, and out of Glyfi, Delph, etc, he's the one I'd prefer having in rotation or starting XI.

I'm going to do something ridiculous now and compare him to how Modrić played/plays. Just connecting the passes, linking the lines and keeping possession. Making sure he's a passing outlet for both the defence and wingers.

Obviously, he's not at Modrić level, but he did a decent job of it until Liverpool game.

He can get the job done, he's not a bad footballer, and out of Glyfi, Delph, etc, he's the one I'd prefer having in rotation or starting XI.

The thing for me is, Sigurdsson can occasionally find a wonder ball or slot one in. Delph can tackle.

I really struggle with Gomes, he's been so bad now for a long time.

Off the ball he really doesn't offer anything. I read he was the most dribbled past player in the league and I wasn't surprised.

That was alright when we had others like Gana picking up everything and when Gomes was decent on the ball but his sharpness, nous and ability to retain possession seems to have completely gone. On the ball what does he do?

I'm not accepting the 'he's an engine' nonsense, he doesn't show enough/see enough of the ball.

I think he needs a long spell out of the team - based on his form under Ancelotti I can't see him starting even half the games next season. He'll be replaced. As will others of course...

The thing for me is, Sigurdsson can occasionally find a wonder ball or slot one in. Delph can tackle.

Off the ball he really doesn't offer anything. I read he was the most dribbled past player in the league and I wasn't surprised.

That was alright when we had others like Gana picking up everything and when Gomes was decent on the ball but his sharpness, nous and ability to retain possession seems to have completely gone. On the ball what does he do?

I'm not accepting the 'he's an engine' nonsense, he doesn't show enough/see enough of the ball.

I think he needs a long spell out of the team - based on his form under Ancelotti I can't see him starting even half the games next season. He'll be replaced. As will others of course...
Thing with Delph is, you got Allan and Douc in mid who do the tackles and win back possession. And he can't pass the ball, heck he blindly ignored forward passes to Niels making a run in favor of passing 5m back or trying a cross into the box that never crossed past the first man. He's genuinely useless in the mid when you've got both Allan and Douc starting.

As far as Glyfi goes, on paper he should be a good fit for this midfield, but just so fumbles it every time while also making it look like he's not even trying to do better.

What you said about Andre off the ball is correct, and pre-international break it was more or less decent performances from him, nothing amazing, but done the job. Allan and Douc were picking up everything and it was not a problem.

Hopefully Everton can go back to that form at least until January transfer window until a better option is found on the market. Unfortunately, imo, there are no better options in the current roster for that job description.

Agreed. I just don’t think he’s good enough for where we want to be. It may well have been the injury that has done it but he has been consistently poor since returning and looks like he’s running in treacle.

I have not given up Gomes completely yet. But in what position is he effective? He does not contribute with any goal points, and he is weak defensively, and he does not threaten any room when we move forward. He's just standing there.

Ok, he is relatively good at dribbling the ball, and has some good passes from time to time. But football is about scoring goals and preventing the opponent from scoring. In which of these two phases is he effective?

When Gylfi plays, despite all his shortcomings, he poses a goal threat. Goals win you football matches. Defensively, we have Allan and AD who can do the job in midfield. They can also act as ball distributors to get the ball out of our zone.

The stats don't back this up though. He averages around 10 passes per game fewer than both Doucoure and Allan. He makes less key passes than Doucoure and about the same as Allan. So there's really very little to suggest that he's playing this really important role of constantly shifting the ball around and making himself available for the ball. It seems that this is what people think he's doing - I assume because he isn't doing anything else and so people assume he must be doing something - but in reality he isn't actually doing it.

I've said so many times, he's a really talented footballer and I don't doubt his ability for a second. I have no doubt whatsoever that at some point in the next couple of months he'll put in an absolute blinder of a game that has us all purring, but his normal level is at best average and all too often some way below it.

Status
Not open for further replies.